TS-853 PRO doesn't see firmware updates

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
sjakub
Starting out

TS-853 PRO doesn't see firmware updates

Post by sjakub »

Hi,

I have TS-853 Pro and the automatic checking for updates never worked.

I got it in January, and tried that and it told me everything was up-to-date.
Later I discovered that there was, in fact, an updated firmware version available,
and that it has been released over a month earlier.

I performed a manual update and it worked.
Since then I wiped everything, restored factory settings and did setup from scratch.
But by the looks of it it still doesn't work.

When I go to "Firmware Update" and "Live Update" tab,
it shows me the current version - 4.1.2 2015/01/26.
When I click "Check for Update" button, it tells me that my system is up-to-date.
But when I got to QNAP's webpage, I can see that 4.1.3 has been released almost 2 weeks ago.

I could perform another manual update, but that's just annoying if I have to keep track of it myself.

Is there a way to make those automatic updates work again?

Thanks...
schumaku
Guru

Re: TS-853 PRO doesn't see firmware updates

Post by schumaku »

Live Update works of course - however, these are always delayed over the availability on the forum or the qnap.com - Support - Download section. If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ... figure: You'll never see a live update offered obviously.

We know that 4.1.3 Build 20150217 won't be on live update before 3 March 2015 for example.

No need to scratch install your NAS - assuming the NAS can reach the Internet for resolving DNS and checking the live update http feed - nothing broken.

Nothing annoying - much more industry standard: For example Microsoft or Apple are distributing updates and fixed and patches days, weeks, or months before these make it to the live updates.
sjakub wrote:But when I got to QNAP's webpage, I can see that 4.1.3 has been released almost 2 weeks ago.
Hm, nope. Build date is 20150217 - but it was not made available before the Chinese New Year - so just a few days only.
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

schumaku wrote:If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ... figure: You'll never see a live update offered obviously.
I don't understand what that means. Always on speed?
schumaku wrote:Nothing annoying - much more industry standard
I was referring to having to manually check if there are updates in case the automatic checking didn't work.
P5bdkw
Starting out

Post by P5bdkw »

schumaku wrote:Live Update works of course - however, these are always delayed over the availability on the forum or the qnap.com - Support - Download section. If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ... figure: You'll never see a live update offered obviously.

We know that 4.1.3 Build 20150217 won't be on live update before 3 March 2015 for example.

No need to scratch install your NAS - assuming the NAS can reach the Internet for resolving DNS and checking the live update http feed - nothing broken.

Nothing annoying - much more industry standard: For example Microsoft or Apple are distributing updates and fixed and patches days, weeks, or months before these make it to the live updates.
sjakub wrote:But when I got to QNAP's webpage, I can see that 4.1.3 has been released almost 2 weeks ago.
Hm, nope. Build date is 20150217 - but it was not made available before the Chinese New Year - so just a few days only.
I had the same question, but that sums it up.
I appreciate the explanation! :)
Darryl W.
QNAP TS-253 PRO
Firmware: QTS 4.1.3 Build 0408
Installed components: 1 x Western Digital WD10EFRX Hard Drive, 1 x 4GB Crucial CT51264BF160B Memory
Desktop OS: Windows 8.1 x64
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sjakub wrote:
schumaku wrote:If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ... figure: You'll never see a live update offered obviously.
I don't understand what that means. Always on speed?
If you install the new firmware version and build manually, you have the latest already...
sjakub wrote:
schumaku wrote:Nothing annoying - much more industry standard
I was referring to having to manually check if there are updates in case the automatic checking didn't work.
...of course the automatic checking DOES work. The firmware versions and build are always released with a delay to the Live Update.

Example: As of writing, QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150217 is _not_ made available to the Live Update == there is _nothing_ wrong or broken, your 4.1.2 Build 20150127 is reported being current.

What is so difficult to understand about the fact that the Live Update
- does receive updates with a delay versus the availability for manual download, and
- the Live Update will tell you the latest version is already in place if the same or a newer firmware is already installed?
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

schumaku wrote:If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ...
Again, what does "on speed" mean?
schumaku wrote:What is so difficult to understand
Please read my questions again before doing that. It is you who doesn't understand what I am writing about.

I do understand live updates are delayed. I was suspecting that something was wrong with my system.
And if it was, in fact, broken, forcing me to always do manual updates - that would be annoying. Not the delay itself.
schumaku wrote:- the Live Update will tell you the latest version is already in place if the same or a newer firmware is already installed?
And where exactly did I say that I expected a different behaviour?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

sjakub wrote:
schumaku wrote:If your NAS is always on speed before the live updates are becoming available ...
Again, what does "on speed" mean?
schumaku wrote:What is so difficult to understand
Please read my questions again before doing that. It is you who doesn't understand what I am writing about.

I do understand live updates are delayed. I was suspecting that something was wrong with my system.
And if it was, in fact, broken, forcing me to always do manual updates - that would be annoying. Not the delay itself.
schumaku wrote:- the Live Update will tell you the latest version is already in place if the same or a newer firmware is already installed?
And where exactly did I say that I expected a different behaviour?
You will always find the "latest" available Firmware on the TS-853 Pro Firmware Download page. ("Bookmark" it in your Web Browser so you can check it frequently), or simply wait for the weeks/months required before it appears in "Live Update").

If you always want to be using "bleeding edge" Firmware, simply stop using "Live Update". :shock:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

pwilson wrote:or simply wait for the weeks/months required before it appears in "Live Update").
MONTHS? Are you saying that QNAP delays pushing updates (that could potentially include security bugfixes) by months?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

sjakub wrote:
pwilson wrote:or simply wait for the weeks/months required before it appears in "Live Update").
MONTHS? Are you saying that QNAP delays pushing updates (that could potentially include security bugfixes) by months?
Yes. Frequently. I can't swear to this tho', as I never use Live Update here.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

I can understand a week or two... but months... :shock:

Oh well... thanks for the link to the downloads for my specific model!
Not having to go through model selection does make things easier :)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yes - months, or a certain build not at all. Nothing wrong. If QNAP does find to high numbers of support requests the release can be delayed or postponed - and another build can become available off the live update process again.

Not a bug, not an issue - just a waste of time re-re-re-explain the same simple facts again and again.
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

So I guess there is only one mystery remaining... what does "always on speed" mean? :)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

always on speed == always using the latest firmware (or drugs)
sjakub
Starting out

Post by sjakub »

schumaku wrote:always on speed == always using the latest firmware
Not in English. I guess what you meant is "up to speed".
That would have made the whole topic much shorter.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

"always on speed" Appears you don't know what speed is... Does it matter? The complete subject is a no-subject.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”