Strange Raid behaviour

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
vampyren
Know my way around

Strange Raid behaviour

Post by vampyren »

Hello everyone,

My name is Reza and i just bought an TVS-671 and i'm in love with this device. It looks fantastic, its quiet (much more then i was expecting) and the web UI looks fantastic.
After i went to the setup page and got the NAS configured i noticed i could not login to it through the web or the Qfinder Pro program. I used admin/admin.
After allot of googling i finally tried to reset it using the button in the back. Once i did that i could atleast login in using admin/admin.
Next i saw that there is a firmware available to i pressed update in the WebUI and now 1,5h later its still not done. I'm wondering if that is normal?

So my real issue is this, i have the following HD's added into the box:
I put in
2x2TB in bay 1-2 --> RAID 1
4x4TB in bay 3-6 --> RAID 10 (still its building at 4.9% so it has some work left)

I started by creating a RAID 1 for the first 2 disk that are 2TB. I thought i should get around 1,8GB free space since i'm using RAID 1. To my surprise i see only 947GB (see picture). So why is 51% allocated already? I been trying to search for answer but so far i hit a wall.

After some playing around in the menu i finally found the "Expand Volume" from which i could increase the size to the full capacity of 1,76TB.
So basically i'm now wondering was there a point to why QNAP did not use the full capacity of my 2TB drivs?

I have allot to learn it seems but i dont want to start the whole system but doing something bad at first.
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Strange Raid behaviour

Post by schumaku »

vampyren wrote:So basically i'm now wondering was there a point to why QNAP did not use the full capacity of my 2TB drivs?
Because the person doing the installation has chosen to continue with the 50% preset by QNAP ... in the quick start there is really a control .. but hard to see, as it requires scroll-down.

The point is ... a volume can not be shrunken. So the 50% default makes sense ... so there is room to create say an encrypted volume, some block based iSCSI LUN, ... Users who need more than 50% for these have to go the hard way and re-install from scratch (or having some fun removing the system default volume and it's adhere effects).

Does this make sense to you now?

Enjoy your NAS ... a beautiful set-up!

Regards,
-Kurt.
vampyren
Know my way around

Re: Strange Raid behaviour

Post by vampyren »

Sure it makes sense :) i must have missed the scroll-down as you say.
I actually did not need to do any removing, all i had to do was pressing the "Expand Volume" and increase the volume, it took a few minute and bam i had the full size available.

Thanks for the answer. I will try to do the firmware update once i get home again. Seems the first try failed. One day later it was still stuck in updating firmware :(

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”