TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (STILL not fixed!!!)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
irev210
Starting out

Re: TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (STILL not fixed!!!)

Post by irev210 »

Okay, this is a very bad bug that QNAP needs to fix.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=25626

This guy figured it out.

I was struggling with the same 802.3ad problems like everyone else. I do what he did and just unplug LAN2 while in AJAX when setting up 802.3ad, then apply, then it works, then plug back in LAN2 and poof. Just make sure you have a single NIC plugged in without enabling port trunking first.

While this doesn't seem to be the best implementation, i'll take it. Hitting over 1gbit!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hard to fixes bugs caused by poor configuration or system operation. You better checked on the switch to discover, the LACP link aggregation fail on one or both links, and the LAG was not up correctly; or random previously MAC table content populated from the unsupported, non-configured dual Ethernet connection prohibited correct 802.3ad operations.

The original poster expected more then what 802.3ad could deliver - that made the misleading impression in the subject.
irev210
Starting out

Post by irev210 »

schumaku wrote:Hard to fixes bugs caused by poor configuration or system operation. You better checked on the switch to discover, the LACP link aggregation fail on one or both links, and the LAG was not up correctly; or random previously MAC table content populated from the unsupported, non-configured dual Ethernet connection prohibited correct 802.3ad operations.

The original poster expected more then what 802.3ad could deliver - that made the misleading impression in the subject.
no, the switch is configured correctly and works fine.

This is a bug with qnap/linux, not the switch, not the workstations.

Look at my network speeds, now over 1gb/sec - 802.3ad is working fine now
Optic
First post

Post by Optic »

irev210 wrote:Okay, this is a very bad bug that QNAP needs to fix.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=25626

This guy figured it out.

I was struggling with the same 802.3ad problems like everyone else. I do what he did and just unplug LAN2 while in AJAX when setting up 802.3ad, then apply, then it works, then plug back in LAN2 and poof. Just make sure you have a single NIC plugged in without enabling port trunking first.

While this doesn't seem to be the best implementation, i'll take it. Hitting over 1gbit!
Hi irev210,

Can you elaborate on the exact procedure you used to get this working? I have tried to follow what you said but I still can't get more than 1 port to be in use.

I enabled 802.3ad with one of the ports unplugged and then plugged it in afterwards - I thought this is what you were saying but I could have something wrong. Can you be very precise with the order that you did things? :)

Cheers,
David
srgz
First post

Post by srgz »

Hi all...was thinking of buying a QNAP and I googled to see if they supported LACP and I found this thread -- thank the flying spaghetti monster I did, because it looks like they don't. By the way, some idiot a few pages back claimed LACP doesn't increase throughput -- that is false.

Right now I have a windows 7 x64 server with a highpoint RAID card (5 drives, hitachi ultrastar sata 1TB, RAID5, shared via iSCSI with starwind software target) and I also have a dual port Intel NIC (the pro\1000 mt dual port), along with a dell managed switch that supports LACP. I have the NICs bonded in an LACP team with Intel's add-in utility and on one of my Mac Pro clients (has 2 gigE ports, bonded thru Apple's network utility in sysprefs) I get over 200 megabytes per second reads and writes.

The bottom line though is that I need this machine for something else and I was thinking about purchasing a NAS unit and then just using the same drives...but i NEED a reliable iSCSI target, and I need LACP to work! There is no iscsi initiator for OS X that allows for Multi connections per session or MPIO, so LACP is the only way to get enough throughput.

Can someone clarify from QNAP please?
No bs answers either..thanks :)

I just don't see how with two ethernet ports and 5 or 6 enterprise class SATA drives (Hitachi UltraStar) the QNAP lists a maximum speed of Read: 116.1 and Write: 103.4 -- it makes no sense?
petur

Post by petur »

srgz wrote:I just don't see how with two ethernet ports and 5 or 6 enterprise class SATA drives (Hitachi UltraStar) the QNAP lists a maximum speed of Read: 116.1 and Write: 103.4 -- it makes no sense?
Because it only has an Atom processor and does software RAID? You can never compare that with a hardware RAID card.
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

The bottom line is that QNAP doesn't support the full LACP implementation. Under the full implementation two gigabit ethernet connections are bonded for an <80% speed increase TO A SINGLE IP ADDRESS.
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

Bottom line is 90% of the LACP users don't know how LACP works, nor how to configure it properly on the managed switch (IP-based, Mac-based, etc, etc, etc). they then don't get the desired results and blaim QNAP for their ignorance...
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jello_moto wrote:The bottom line is that QNAP doesn't support the full LACP implementation.
You've had 11 months to dig up some facts to support that statement but failed again :roll:

Let's see here, where's the troll-filter...

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”