AVG 9 firewall settings blocking QNAP finder from accessing

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
charleshbrowne
New here

AVG 9 firewall settings blocking QNAP finder from accessing

Post by charleshbrowne »

I have recently installed the updated AVG v. 9.x and once again QNAP finder cannot 'see' my ts-109. On turning off the AVG firewall, QNAP finder locates the 109 without problem. QAP finder is listed in the permitted applications for AVG and Ports 8097 and 9500 are 'open' for UDP in. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
schumaku
Guru

Re: AVG 9 firewall settings blocking QNAP finder from accessing

Post by schumaku »

Complain to AVG if they are compromising non-dangerous systems functionality, and their product is unable to inform you about the newly installed or first-time run QNAP Finder a user-friendly manner.

Replace all these wana-be-the-greatest firewalls with what Windows Vista and Windows 7 offers out of the box. These firewalls ask you if they should grant access to the network on every network profile.

Send the QNAP Finder to AVG for investigation.

Regards,

-Kurt.
charleshbrowne
New here

Post by charleshbrowne »

I have contacted AVG. They suggested initially that I add another Service rule using protocol IGMP with ports open bi-directionally. This worked on computer restart -once-, then stopped again. They are now looking at the incoming messges on the firewall. We will see!!
Charles
charleshbrowne
New here

Post by charleshbrowne »

AVG came up with a solution following use of their diagnostic utility. To re-cap; I am using XP SP3 and a TS-109 with up-to-date firmware and software (Finder) Finder couldn't see the NAS after upgrading to AVG v9x (commercial) from v8.5 (commercial) At this time the problem first occurred and, from an earlier post, I had set a local System Rule for UDP,IN,Local Port 8097 and Remote 9500.
This rule was carried over into the settings for the upgrade to v9
The first suggestion was :- add a new system rule Protocol IGMP, direction :Both Ways, Local Ports: (0-65535),Remote Ports (0-65535),:Remote addresses: All Networks. This worked on re-boot but not subsequently.
Further investigation led to: New System Rules :1 Protocol UDP :Direction: IN,Local Port:8097,Remote Port:8097,Remote addresses:safe Networks,Local Networks
2 Protocol UDP :Direction IN,Local Port:3483,Remote Port:1686,Remote addresses:safe networks,local Networks

this seems to work reliably.
Charles

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”