change ip address from qnap-linux ?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
onuralp
New here

change ip address from qnap-linux ?

Post by onuralp »

Hi everyone ,

I am unable to change ip address of TS-439 Pro from the qnap itself .
İt is a kind of linux that does not have any interface file to setup ?

I have already tried to change by ;
ifconfig bond0 10.5.5.10 netmask 255.255.0.0

but there is no service command to restart network service
I have tried to restart qnap instead of restarting service, but it boots with same ( wrong ) ip address and settings .

how can i change bond0 ip and netmask?
any config file?

Help please ?
Don
Guru

Re: change ip address from qnap-linux ?

Post by Don »

You change the network info via the web admin gui.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
onuralp
New here

Post by onuralp »

i could not connect web admin gui , therefore i have been trying to change via linux command or config file
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Why can't you connect to the web admin? How are you trying to connect?

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
onuralp
New here

Post by onuralp »

I have tried everything to connect via web gui .
But it is impossible to connect ( ping is ok )

I connected with monitor and change my ip block same as qnap .
Still no chance .

There should be a config file to edit for ip settings .
It is weird that nobody needs to change ip adddress via linux .
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Let's try again. How are you connecting to the web admin? Please provide url and error messages.

duncan@p2vpro.com
New here

Post by duncan@p2vpro.com »

I have a similar problem although I changed the I/P address of my QNAP from the GUI. Now all I can do it ping it and ssh to it, if I do it soon after system boot. I had a look at the error log which suggests to me I set up some kind of access restriction for my subnet. I guess it is only allowing connections from my old I/P address range. I will have to poke around the filesystem and find our where that is defined or try and put the I/P address back, remove the access control and re-ip again.

If this theory turns out to be correct then this is a bug with the I/P re-address from the gui which should remove all access restrictions from the old address range!
duncan@p2vpro.com
New here

OK, I fixed my problem at least. As mentioned above, during the window after boot before security access controls are applied, I managed to ssh onto the Qnap. I used /sbin/setcfg eth0 "Gateway" 192.168.1.1; /sbin/setcfg eth0 "IP Address" 192.168.1.2;/etc/init.d/network.sh restart to set my old network config back. (Be careful if you do this, a typo could leave you stuck.)

Next I reconfigured the network of my PC to be 192.168.1.4 and connected to the QNAP using a point-to-point ethernet cable. I was able to get into the admin GUI and yes, the Security settings under System Administration were set to "high" with a range which would not let anything connect on the new addresses. Set this to low and do the re-ip exercise again and you should be fine. Of course I had to do this all twice since I forgot to hit "Apply" and it doesn't prompt you so save unsaved changes.

So two complaints for Qnap there: 1) prompt for unsaved changes and 2) if you change the network address, wipe out the security access control.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

duncan@p2vpro.com wrote:if you change the network address, wipe out the security access control.
Such a change would only help the most inexperinced users but at the same generate a lot of complaints from everyone else.

When having messed up the network/security settings, the 3 second Basic System Reset (described in the Qnap Hardware Manual) is an easy way to restore the settings and get back in.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
duncan@p2vpro.com
New here

I have not read what the Basic System Reset does but I would not want to lose all my other settings (which are backed up of course). Putting back restored settings is a process I don't want to discover.

Another way of putting it: if the resulting network config results in a user being unable to access the server then that clearly is not valid. The system should never write a config which prevents access. Either it should flag this to the user or remove access control which conflicts with the new network settings.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

duncan@p2vpro.com wrote:I have not read what the Basic System Reset does but I would not want to lose all my other settings (which are backed up of course).
I would recommend that you bother to educate yourself on the details before deciding not to use something.
Another way of putting it: if the resulting network config results in a user being unable to access the server then that clearly is not valid.
Your thinking seems very narrow and limited to your specific environment and your own mistakes only.

Having security rules not allowing access from the local network is not uncommon in multi network environments. For example, when having the NAS on a separated network segment (DMZ) it can often be an important part of security to not allow direct access from within that network.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
duncan@p2vpro.com
New here

Yes, having security rules are useful and important and I take your point about having multiple networks. However, there will be many cases like mine which are home networks consisting of one subnet. It is all too easy to change your IP address to a network range which is outside the ranges defined by the network security settings.

Checking whether an IP address is in a certain range is an easy check to make so I would like to see a warning at the very least. It could be a very specific check in the case where the old IP address was in the security range and the new one wasn't, e.g. "Warning, you are changing the IP address to one outside the networks defined in security settings. Are you sure you want to do this?"

A warning can't do any harm but it can save a lot of trouble.
Lobin
New here

Post by Lobin »

Duncan, as I read your posts I'm pretty sure something very similar has happen to me. Due to re-addressing home network, I've changed IP address/Default GW in QNAP NAS and FORGET to configure security policies which allows only the old range to log in (high security policy). As you have described I've tried to log in into NAS via SSH just after rebooting (just when it starts responding to ping) but with no luck.

So I'm completely unable to log in via GUI and also via SSH. What was the procedure you did exactly? Is there any other way to bypass security policies?

I don't want to end up with factory reset and complete NAS reinstall, because both disks are almost full of data and I would need to backup all of it somewhere else.

thanks, jiri
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@ Jiri, Please check the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual for the "Basic System Reset".
Basic system reset (3 sec)

After pressing the reset button for 3 seconds, a beep sound will be heard. The following settings will be reset to default:

• System administration password: admin.
• TCP/IP configuration: Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP.
• TCP/IP configuration: Disable Jumbo Frame.
• TCP/IP configuration: If port trunking is enabled (dual LAN models only), the port trunking mode will be reset to “Active Backup (Failover)”.
• System port: 8080 (system service port).
• Security level: Low (Allow all connections).
• LCD panel password: (blank)*.
• VLAN will be disabled.
• Service binding: All NAS services run on all available network interfaces.
Sounds feasible to regain the control over the NAS, does not lead to any data loss....
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You can connect a PC directly to the NAS configure the PC to be on the same subnet the NAS is on. You will then be able to connect and change the NAS network info.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”