TS-469L drives not visible in Windows

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
TubeLugs
Starting out

TS-469L drives not visible in Windows

Post by TubeLugs »

The QNAP TS-469L is the first NAS I've owned. I've populated it with drives, revved its firmware, and done initial configuration. The problem is that its disk volume is not showing up on my network.

Connectivity seems to be OK: When the QNAP had its multimedia services enabled, the box was visible on the network as a multimedia server. Now I've turned off the multimedia services and, as far as my PCs are concerned, the box doesn't exist. I can still hit its QTS software via Web browser, but that's all.

I enabled file service for Microsoft networking, gave it the name of my existing workgroup, and marked it as a standalone server. Still no sign of it in Windows Explorer.

I expected that the QNAP would present one or more logical drives for use on my network. I have existing backup software and assumed I would be able to use it. Are the QNAP's drives going to be invisible to Windows? Because that would defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place.

Thanks for responses and guidance.
Last edited by TubeLugs on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-469L drives not visible in Windows

Post by pwilson »

TubeLugs wrote:The QNAP TS-469L is the first NAS I've owned. I've populated it with drives, revved its firmware, and done initial configuration. The problem is that its drives (or its volume) is not showing up in my network.

When the QNAP had its multimedia services enabled, the box was visible on the network as a multimedia server. But no storage was visible. Now I've turned off the multimedia services and, as far as my PCs are concerned, the box doesn't exist. I can still hit its QTS software via Web browser, but that's all.

I enabled file service for Microsoft networking, gave it the name of my existing workgroup, and marked it as a standalone server. Still no sign of it in Windows Explorer.

I expected that it would present one or more logical drives for use on my network. I have existing backup software and assumed I would be able to use it. Are the box's drives going to be invisible to Windows? Because that would defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place.

Thanks for responses and guidance.
What happens when you browse to "\\NAS-IP\Public" in Windows Explorer?

Do you have the same username/password pair on both your Windows box, and your NAS? (You should).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

TubeLugs wrote:Are the box's drives going to be invisible to Windows?
Of course not - unless ...
- Windows is configured to a public network (instead of a private / home / office ) in the network location
- The Client for Microsoft Networks driver is not installed on the network interface connection
- Some brain-dead "security" products destroy simple interoperability - several security packages are apparently still not compatible with the Microsoft network location and it's automated firewall controls

Open Windows Explorer, and type in \\NASnameasconfigured\ or \\NAS-IP-address\ - recent Windows version will help to get things up correct.

When everything is there, you will see the NAS as a server on the Windows Explorer - Network and have the ability to list all shared folders.
TubeLugs
Starting out

Post by TubeLugs »

pwilson wrote:What happens when you browse to "\\NAS-IP\Public" in Windows Explorer?
Thanks for the reply Patrick. Using that method I was able to reach the NAS's \Public folder, and see a fistful of peer folders. And now the NAS is showing up in Network Neighborhood by name. Strange; it's been running and attached for nearly 24 hours. Ah well.

I am also now able to map a drive letter to a folder on the NAS, and even see available space via Properties (a 7TB "drive"... yep, that works).
pwilson wrote:Do you have the same username/password pair on both your Windows box, and your NAS? (You should).
I can, but did not. Is that necessary? Windows does have the ability to store separate credentials on a per-network-connection basis.

Moving forward with the backup plans, It appears that QNAP's \homes folder is conceptually identical to Windows' \Users folder, so I created a subfolder named "Backup_User", added a QNAP user by the same name, and granted access. Beneath it I intended to have a layer of folders named to reflect each user being backed up.

Thanks again.
TubeLugs
Starting out

Post by TubeLugs »

schumaku wrote:Of course not - unless ...
- Windows is configured to a public network (instead of a private / home / office ) in the network location
Well, I may not be a corporate sysadmin, but I know not to do that :P
schumaku wrote:- The Client for Microsoft Networks driver is not installed on the network interface connection
Hmm, don't think so but...checking...yep, it's there
schumaku wrote:- Some brain-dead "security" products destroy simple interoperability - several security packages are apparently still not compatible with the Microsoft network location and it's automated firewall controls
Always a possibility. I'm using Norton 360, which never ceases to amaze me with its backward-looking design.

The NAS is visible now, and frankly I'm still not sure why it wasn't before. Something somewhere apparently needed to refresh.

Thanks for your reply.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

TubeLugs wrote:Well, I may not be a corporate sysadmin, but I know not to do that
Current Windows versions ask (at least once) - to bad, there is also a control to take all future networks connections as public.

You have not told os about your Windows version - so you are somewhat alone.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/98 ... s-8-a.html
marginalia
Starting out

Post by marginalia »

Hello there.
I have a TS-469L on a home network, which has windows based pcs (7 and 8.1), some android devices (tablets), and xtreamer sidewonder2 (which, T believe runs on a type of linux) and a pc running Ubuntu 14.04.
Just today the QNAP does not show up as a network device on the WIN or Linux machines) but it does show up on the xtreamer and also the android devices. The strangest thing is that if in Wondows I use the run command and enter its IP, the QNAP appears. In thr Ubuntu machine, the ANAP appears as an FTP and SMB but not as it used to as a separate device. On the QNAP I have PNP, NAS, FTP activated. I use it as a file store, and play the media files via VLC and music via the linux audio application or on Win, foobar, rather than using hte built in apps on the QNAP.

Do you have any suggestions for making the QNAP appear as a NAS device on my pcs?

Many thanks for your time.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

marginalia wrote:Hello there.
I have a TS-469L on a home network, which has windows based pcs (7 and 8.1), some android devices (tablets), and xtreamer sidewonder2 (which, T believe runs on a type of linux) and a pc running Ubuntu 14.04.
Just today the QNAP does not show up as a network device on the WIN or Linux machines) but it does show up on the xtreamer and also the android devices. The strangest thing is that if in Wondows I use the run command and enter its IP, the QNAP appears. In thr Ubuntu machine, the ANAP appears as an FTP and SMB but not as it used to as a separate device. On the QNAP I have PNP, NAS, FTP activated. I use it as a file store, and play the media files via VLC and music via the linux audio application or on Win, foobar, rather than using hte built in apps on the QNAP.

Do you have any suggestions for making the QNAP appear as a NAS device on my pcs?

Many thanks for your time.
I would suspect DNS issues. Please access your NAS via SSH, login as "admin" and run:

Code: Select all

touch /tmp/dnsreport
chmod +x /tmp/dnsreport
cat <<EOF >>/tmp/dnsreport
#!/bin/sh
#
# DNS Report by Patrick Wilson
# see: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82260#p366188
#
#
echo "*********************"
echo "** QNAP DNS Report **"
echo "*********************"
echo " "
echo "NAS Model:      \$(getsysinfo model)"
echo "Firmware:       \$(getcfg system version) Build \$(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    \$(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      \$(getcfg system workgroup)"
echo "Base Directory: \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))"
echo "NAS IP address: \$(ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep addr: | awk '{ print \$2 }' | cut -d: -f2)"
echo " " 
echo "Default Gateway Device: \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device')" 
echo " "
ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep -v HWaddr
echo " "
echo -n "DNS Nameserver(s):" 
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | cut -d' ' -f2
echo " "
echo " "
echo "Check DNS for qnap.com:"
echo "nslookup qnap.com"
nslookup qnap.com
echo "Check DNS for qnap.com with \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}') as DNS Server"
echo "nslookup qnap.com \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}')"
nslookup qnap.com \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}')
echo " "
echo "Check DNS for \$(getcfg system 'Server Name'):"
echo "nslookup \$(getcfg system 'Server Name')"
nslookup \$(getcfg system 'Server Name')
echo "Check DNS for \$(getcfg system 'Server Name') with \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}') as DNS Server"
echo "nslookup \$(getcfg system 'Server Name') \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}')"
nslookup \$(getcfg system 'Server Name') \$(route -n | grep UG | grep 0.0.0.0 | awk '{print \$2}')
echo " "
echo "Routing Table:"
route -n
echo " "
echo "DNSReport completed on \$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %T') (\$0)"
EOF
sleep 2
clear
/tmp/dnsreport
echo "Done."

Please cut&paste the output of the resulting DNSReport back to this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
marginalia
Starting out

Post by marginalia »

Hello Patrick
Thank you for your prompt response and my apologies for this belated reply. I unexpectedly had to go up country and in my absence a power failure - and when everything was rebooted, the problem had disappeared. I think you were dead right - it was some type of DNS conflict.
Thanks heaps for answering my question, even if events intervened and I could not get to the cause....
Kind regards
M.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”