Choosing the first NAS for home use

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
intoxiktu
Starting out

Choosing the first NAS for home use

Post by intoxiktu »

Hi QNAP Community,

I'm looking for a entry level NAS that I can use as a media server in my home. Came here to ask some questions because I've read some reviews about various NAS-es, and I was concerned I can't find one that will do everything I need.

First of all, the NAS will be connected to an ASUS AC68U, and I need it to wirelessly stream 1080p blue-ray movies (and music but this is not hardware demanding) without a hiccup on my Samsung 55F7000 TV.
Secondly, need a simple and user friendly torrent client for it.
And lastly, I need it to be fast in media rescanning and stable (the ac68u has a media server option, but it isn't stable enough, frequent drops and takes a long time to refresh media from the USB HDD)

I don't need the Back-up features, so the NAS will act only as an media server/storage device for the home entertainment system, and won't need data safety because everything important (important music/photos) stored on it, are already backed up on something else. So, a 1 drive-bay NAS is sufficient.

I've narrowed it down to QNAP TS112p and Synology DS112j.
Already tried both vendor's demos on-line, but still can't decide.

Could you provide me with a solution/opinion?
Has anybody tried these products for home use/media serving?
fantomas
Experience counts

Re: Choosing the first NAS for home use

Post by fantomas »

You can stream data even from lowest NAS models. You don't have to stream wireless from NAS - you can use your router for that (QNAP should be connected by cable because of many reasons).
otherwise, even lower QNAP 112 has slightly better specifications - a bit faster CPU but twice the RAM that I find more important here. 112P is even better here and
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
sWORDs
Know my way around

Re: Choosing the first NAS for home use

Post by sWORDs »

Wireless N streaming BD and no hickups will be a no go with high bitrate movies, but that has nothing to do with the nas.
TS-870 upgraded with i7 3770t and 16GB F3-1600C10D-16GSQ kit, replaced LAN-1G2T-D with Intel I350-T4.
6x 2TB Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 with Samsung 480GB MZ7WD480HAGM-00003 as SSD Cache.
NAS firmware 4.2.0 Build 20150716.

Return to “Presales”