WD60EFRX pre-install test for TS-EC1080 Pro (1 of 11 DoA)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Re: QNAP TS-EC1080 Pro 10-Bay, Q about RAM and mSATA SSD cac

Post by GoetzVonBerlichingen »

QNAP's money. QNAP's house. QNAP's rules.

I am a little surprised that this Forum's administrators/moderators decided to start selectively deleting my posts beginning mid-October 2014. I was given no notice that I had violated some rule, nor a notice that my posts were being deleted. Readers should understand that the content you read has been selectively edited to ensure QNAP remains happy. It's almost as if this "Community Forum" is, in fact, intended to be a Potemkin village, and not a real community.

E'er the helpful type, I elected to help them eradicate traces of me, and deleted the contents of this post on 31 October 2014.
Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Several users who've volunteered their time and effort to provide assistance to QNAP owners via this Community Forum have chosen to no longer tolerate being ignored (被忽略) by QNAP ... concerning their requests regarding operation of the forum. QNAP owns, manages, and administers this forum in the manner they see fit.

Those that choose to contribute, must accept QNAP's stance, because with respect to administration/management, it's:

It's my choice, however, whether to play along. Several of my posts were deleted out of hand -- with neither notice nor prior warning -- by a chicken-$hit moderator or administrator ... 'working' behind the scenes, and with no attribution. While no great loss <g> ... I'll join those that no longer contribute.
ToreBK
Starting out

Post by ToreBK »

Thanks for the replies, I agree we should probably make a new thread called "WD60EFRX - DLGDIAG initial testing". Before we do, though, just a few remarks:

I thought I would go about it something like this:
WD_Diag_sheet.jpg
I started off with one drive (serial nnn200), the quick scan was uneventful:
2014-08-28 23.55.23.jpg
Then I started the Extended test:
2014-08-29 10.28.35.jpg
As you can see, it's a rather lengthy process... Anyways, about half an hour after this photo was taken, my computer halted / froze. I saw no other alternative but to reboot, but on POST I noticed that BIOS wasn't detecting the attached WD60EFRX anymore :o

I tried AHCI, IDE Enhanced, IDE compatible, all 6 SATA-ports on the Motherboard, different SATA-cables, different power cables... no luck. I tried booting UBCD5.2.0, UBCD5.2.8 and finally UBCD5.3.1, trying all different available versions of DLGDIAG available on all different versions of UBCD. Every time I got this error message:
2014-08-29 11.42.43.jpg
None of them could find and / or communicate properly with the attached WD60EFRX, which by now also started making clicking sounds, especially on cold restart of computer (power off - power on as opposed to restart). This brought my attention to what was mentioned in this thread about another tool, so I even tried to launch the WDIDLE3 just to see if it could communicate with the drive:
2014-08-29 11.44.38.jpg
As you can see, it actually did find the drive in some miraculous way, but I could not read the serial number and there was also a "CMD Error" message.

Thinking I had just about eliminated all other alternatives, I decided to open another bag to try another HDD. Voila, connection at once!

This was not a good start, first HDD I tested is now unreachable. I have started the same procedure on HDD #2, but if that also ends up in the same dramatic way I think it would be best to cancel my testing activities all together.

Have I damaged the drive, or was it damaged even before I opened the bag (DOA)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBK-NAS1: QNAP TS-419P+ QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (4 x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS) RAID10
TBK-NAS2: QNAP TS-869 Pro 3 GB RAM QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (8 x 3 TB Western Digital Red WD30EFRX) RAID10
TBK-NAS3: QNAP TS-869 Pro 3 GB RAM QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (8 x 3 TB Western Digital Red WD30EFRX) RAID10
TBK-NAS4: QNAP TS-EC1080 Pro QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (10 x 6 TB Western Digital Red WD60EFRX) RAID10
External Disks: 2 x STBV3000200 Seagate® Expansion Desktop 3TB USB 3.0 Drives
UPS: 4 x PowerWalker VI 850 LCD Line-Interactive UPS
Spare Drives (cold): 2 x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX + 1 x Western Digital Red WD60EFRX
Serving: My Home Cinema
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

There's no way to damage the drive by running a diagnostics. DoA pretty much, be glad you discovered it early.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Thomas_L
Starting out

Post by Thomas_L »

Sorry to hear your first drive is broken.

3 out of 8 of my 6TB drives have tested OK so far.

Disk#1 tested with both DLGDIAG 5.20 and 5.21 and it passed on both versions.
Disk#2 tested with DLGDIAG 5.21 and it passed. (didn't want to use 5.20 anymore since it did cause GoetzVonBerlichingen's PC to lock up).
Disk#3 tested with DLGDIAG 5.21 and it passed.

5 disks left to test... I'm using multiple PCs now and they'll be finished tomorrow.

I'm still deciding whether I should leave the TIMER3 at 300s or disable them. My plan is to keep the drives spinning all the time and I'm not sure if it's better to leave the timer at 300s or disable it.

Brgds... /Thomas
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

I am a little surprised that this Forum's administrators/moderators decided to start selectively deleting my posts beginning mid-October 2014. I was given no notice that I had violated some rule, nor a notice that my posts were being deleted. Readers should understand that the content you read has been selectively edited to ensure QNAP remains happy. It's almost as if this "Community Forum" is, in fact, intended to be a Potemkin village, and not a real community.

E'er the helpful type, I elected to help them eradicate traces of me, and deleted the contents of this post on 31 October 2014.
Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Several users who've volunteered their time and effort to provide assistance to QNAP owners via this Community Forum have chosen to no longer tolerate being ignored (被忽略) by QNAP ... concerning their requests regarding operation of the forum. QNAP owns, manages, and administers this forum in the manner they see fit.

Those that choose to contribute, must accept QNAP's stance, because with respect to administration/management, it's:

It's my choice, however, whether to play along. Several of my posts were deleted out of hand -- with neither notice nor prior warning -- by a chicken-$hit moderator or administrator ... 'working' behind the scenes, and with no attribution. While no great loss <g> ... I'll join those that no longer contribute.
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

GoetzVonBerlichingen wrote: Why?
What's the point?
If you were just exercising a little bit of curiosity, i.e., learning more about some of the drive utilities, etc. ... well good on you! :wink:

At this stage of the game, you're essentially burning-in the drive while performing a WD-designed check of the media. If the point of all of your efforts ToreBK, however was to try to get the drive to somehow pass, then I can only scratch my head ... Puh-leez! The drive is bad (DOA as doktornotor observed, who has already commented on WDC not burning-in/testing the run-of-the-mill drives, for example, here). One failed try is enough, for my standards, that I don't want to rely on the drive to house my data for the next 3-5 years.
Yeah, exactly... RMA the drives. Not to be trusted. Honestly, these East Asia guys do about none proper testing on the consumer-grade HW before shipping. There needs to be a thorough antitrust investigation into the WD/Seagate oligopoly, seriously. The Thailand floodings years over, prices still outrageous and the quality goes down the drain.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Thomas_L
Starting out

Post by Thomas_L »

GoetzVonBerlichingen wrote:
Thomas_L wrote: didn't want to use 5.20 anymore since it did cause GoetzVonBerlichingen's PC to lock up).
This is the last time I going to whip what otherwise should be a very dead horse ...

My goal is to only use a drive if it passes the most stringent test.
I really wish you could have tested one of your drives that caused 5.20 to freeze with 5.21 as well. Isn't it possible that 5.21 would actually display an error message instead of just locking up the computer?

I have no interest in making a defective drive pass, that's why I'm not using v5.22 that has the version history note "Removed missing tracks check".
GoetzVonBerlichingen wrote:@ Thomas_L. Did you photograph the display while testing with 5.20 and 5.21 ... and if so, were the descriptive stats for the drives the same? If the 5.21 stats appear more plausible, then this might be the difference between the versions.
Same C H S stats are displayed in 5.20 and 5.21 (same values as ToreBK).

Brgds... /Thomas
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToreBK
Starting out

Post by ToreBK »

GoetzVonBerlichingen wrote:
ToreBK wrote: I saw no other alternative but to reboot, but on POST I noticed that BIOS wasn't detecting the attached WD60EFRX anymore :o

I tried AHCI, IDE Enhanced, IDE compatible, all 6 SATA-ports on the Motherboard, different SATA-cables, different power cables... no luck. I tried booting UBCD5.2.0, UBCD5.2.8 and finally UBCD5.3.1, trying all different available versions of DLGDIAG available on all different versions of UBCD. Every time I got this error message:
2014-08-29 11.42.43.jpg
Why?

What's the point?
Isn't that obvious?

I opened the antistatic bag, connected the HDD to the computer, cranked it up just to see BIOS identify the drive, then running DLGDIAG for a good 10 hours - and then, suddenly, I couldn't even get any computer to even recognize the drive. Why? What happened? Did the HDD just die? Or could it be a cable? The PSU? The SATA controller? Of course I felt an urge to eliminate all other possibilities in order to safely conclude:

this particular HDD had a "MTBF" of 10 hours! This Norwegian Blue is dead!
TBK-NAS1: QNAP TS-419P+ QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (4 x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS) RAID10
TBK-NAS2: QNAP TS-869 Pro 3 GB RAM QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (8 x 3 TB Western Digital Red WD30EFRX) RAID10
TBK-NAS3: QNAP TS-869 Pro 3 GB RAM QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (8 x 3 TB Western Digital Red WD30EFRX) RAID10
TBK-NAS4: QNAP TS-EC1080 Pro QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003 (10 x 6 TB Western Digital Red WD60EFRX) RAID10
Spare Drives (cold): 2 x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX + 1 x Western Digital Red WD60EFRX
Thomas_L
Starting out

QNAP TS-EC1080 Pro 10-Bay, Q about RAM and mSATA SSD cache

Post by Thomas_L »

Scan is finally finished on all my 8 drives... they all tested OK using DLGDIAG 5.21 extended test.

@Goetz: 5.22 show same stats as 5.20 and 5.21.

Brgds... /Thomas

PS. Remarkable bird the Norwegian Blue!
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToreBK
Starting out

Post by ToreBK »

Ordered 11 HDDs for my 10-bay NAS, got 10 of them through the tests and found 1 DoA (RMA'ed already). It must be my lucky day!
WD60EFRX_test_results.JPG
WDC WD60EFRX-68MYMN1, FW: 82.00A82

Using UBCD 5.2.0 and DLGDIAG 5.20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Presales”