Deciding between 453 pro, 469 pro, 451

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
pgdownload
Starting out

Deciding between 453 pro, 469 pro, 451

Post by pgdownload »

Hi,

I'm a home user upgrading from a 219. Wanting a bit more grunt, network throughput and space.

I thought the 469 was the obvious unit, but then the home rated 451 seems more powerful in most respects? Are both capable of hot swaps? Also not sure how a Celeron compares to an Atom (of the same speed)?

Then the 453 pro seems to be a slightly sturdier version of the 451?

All are available around $850. I'm not looking for some of the more esoteric features that business might need. Just connecting to an Apple TV2 to watch content.

In a nutshell, Is there some general wisdom as to which unit is the best out of these three?

Regards

Peter

PS Thinking about it, my question is what "problem" was each of these units designed to try "solve" that the others lacked? (other than marketing).
jim.brown
First post

Re: Deciding between 453 pro, 469 pro, 451

Post by jim.brown »

bump
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi jim.brown,
TS-453 Pro and TS-451 were released in Q3 this year.
If you have the budget, go for the 4-core TS-453 Pro with better performance and metal body. You can even install virtual machines on it to play around. If you want a more affordable all-in-one device, choose the TS-451 over TS-469 Pro with hardware transcoding support. TS-469 Pro platform does not support hardware accelerated transcoding.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!
pgdownload wrote:I thought the 469 was the obvious unit, but then the home rated 451 seems more powerful in most respects?
Yes.
pgdownload wrote:Are both capable of hot swaps?
Of course.
pgdownload wrote:Also not sure how a Celeron compares to an Atom (of the same speed)?
Both are dual core CPU, depending on the single core benchmark used, the TS-x51 CPU is about 1.6 times faster at the same number of cores.
pgdownload wrote:Then the 453 pro seems to be a slightly sturdier version of the 451?
Four cores at a slightly lower max. CPU clock, depending on the single core benchmark used, the TS-x53 CPU is about 1.55 times faster per core (and has four).
pgdownload wrote:All are available around $850.
To much for a TS-469 Pro in it's life cycle - short before end-of-manufacturing.
pgdownload wrote:Thinking about it, my question is what "problem" was each of these units designed to try "solve" that the others lacked? (other than marketing).
The TS-x69 Intel N2701 CPU availability are short (if still available at all), the GPU usage (for HDMI - HD Station, XBMC, ...) is cumbersome because of proprietary acceleration drivers. The J1800/J1900 comes with much better GPU driver support, and permits even operating virtual machines.

Having some spare CPU cores is nice in some situations, even if these are a few percent slower. Think about one core dealing with video transcoding, one handling SSL/QTS Web GUI, one handling AFP or SMB file access, ... This translates to the TS-x53.

Regards,
-Kurt.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Hi @pgdownload

What did you go for,?

Ive just ordered the 2Gb TS-453, after I noticed it was selling online with one company at the same price as the TS-451 4Gb

As I'm looking long term, and as the 'house server' I felt more cores, was better then more memory initially.
I can always upgrade the RAM later on as our usage grows, but I'm stuck with the same CPUs.
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Well done, that sounds like a pretty good deal (I've just had a quick www hunt, but I've not yet spotted any great 453 bargains; probably just as well as I might have been quite tempted to buy one). :)

I've also been following the UK price of TS-253 over the past few weeks, and just over the past few days (on Amazon.co.uk) it has dropped from £485 to £422. I was starting to almost get quite enthusiastic as it was fast approaching my £400 'think about buying one barrier', but when I checked again this morning, the lowest price was back up to about £445; it's all somewhat bizarre.

Tempting to just buy a board, CPU and two disks, then nail them all to a plank and install Debian, but I'll wait a little longer to see if the Qnap UK prices improve. :DD

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Hey @Briain,

Thanks for responding, my TS-453 has not arrived yet, it's due tomorrow (I'm like a kid at Christmas) - but until I get it in my hands, it's not real ;) - Qnap pricing has been all over the place, I had the TS-451 nailed down at a great price too, but today I saw Amazons drop below that.. It's crazy.. But I'd just found the 453 so I had already cancelled that one.

Looking at the unofficial compatible ram options, hopefully I can pick up 8gb (2 x 4gb) for around £50 too then I can set my NAS up for the next 5-10 years ..
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Well I just checked Amazon (UK) and was totally astonished to see a TS-453 on sale at £438. Given that the TS-253 (which is what I'd intended buying, if it dropped to nearer £400) is sitting at £450, and that this morning, the TS-453 was something like over £100 more expensive than the TS-253, I (perhaps somewhat wrecklessly) immediately hit the 'buy now' button. I'm sure that I'll regret doing so (when I'm sober; I plan to attempt that, maybe sometime next year) but I am well pleased (again, I must add the sobriety caveat) and it seems I'm also now the owner of a TS-453; cool (I think)! :D

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get married, have loads of kids and teach them how to clean chimneys (with a hearty fire to encourage productivity) in order to settle my bills, but at least I'll be able to keep my accounts on a RAID 6 array! :lol:

I'm still in shock (not sure if it's shock from the low price, or shock from the spend; I am Scottish, so suspect it's the latter).

Bri :DD
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

You timed it very well Bri, as Amazon are now showing the £438 2G as 'Temporarily out of stock' ;)

Im in the same boat, in the space of a week it's dropped a lot, compared to the average price I was seeing.

I'm completely new to QNAP, I've only had a ReadyNAS before, so I may be calling on you for advice :)
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

It might have been out of stock when I hit the go button; I didn't check (when hitting the go button) as I'm in absolutely no hurry (and the price was set at 438, so I can't see how it could go wrong).

I do know the ReadyNAS NV+ and the [original sparc based] Duo. They were totally excellent devices, but by modern standards, they are a tad ponderous. Last time I fixed one (for a friend), it took 5 days to load the data after a disk failure, whereas even my low-end ARM Qnap takes only 14 hours for the same sort of transfer (both over Ethernet) so I eventually pensioned off all my sparc ReadyNAS units (and this will be my 4th Qnap; better add a few shelf brackets to take the additional weight).

I'm well happy, though! I was pondering a 251 (for cost reasons) or maybe a 253 (if the prices dropped) but I was concerned about my data expansion rates. I don't want to go above 3TB drives, and I am tempted to eventually get 3 TB HGST enterprise disks (I'm waiting to see if larger disks results in a price drop for the 3 TB models) but I was concerned about 'pinning' myself down to a 2-bay unit. Basically, I'm now a very happy bunny (though that might just be the wine)!

Sad though; I was quite tempted to build my own (nailing a motherboard and two disks to a plank; I'm already using a PC in that format). :P

Bri

NB I'm no expert, but I would be happy to help with any Qnap setup questions, but note that the PM facility is still busted, so if you need to contact me directly, please feel free to join the Linn forum and PM me via that route (and I'll ping you my email address or phone number).
APC Smart-UPS 750
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Thanks Bri.

Yep, I'm finally upgrading from the original ReadyNAS Duo (Sparc). Just to be clear, I didn't order my 453 from Amazon, I was chuffed to have got a next day delivery elsewhere for 455, sadly Amazon was not at that price earlier today (I'll be curious if it goes back up, of they will keep the downward trajectory)

I have 2TB on my old ReadyNAS, and now just one WD Red 3TB for the new QNAP - one quick question while I have you, can I start with one drive and add another, and then another over the coming months ? Will it grow with me? IR will I have to do back ups and restores with every drive addition/raid configuration ?
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Yes, I've been closely tracking the prices of all models, and when you posted your earlier post, I again checked and the 453 was unaffordable; that last drop only happened in the past few hours (and based on TS-253 price trends, I'd also bet that it will go up again, tomorrow). As you say, you are getting next day (so an additional £20 is down in the noise) but I am in no hurry, so that postponed deal is just ideal for me (in the sense that it saves me the equivalent of 2 bottles of nice wine, or about 8 bottles of methylated spirits)!

As to the expansion, yes, you can do just that, but there are some limits (on which RAID migrations that you can do). Although I have briefly looked, I've not looked closely at these restrictions - though they are well documented in the on-line QTS 4.1 manual - but I don't think there are many (if indeed any) that would apply to our 4 bay models (as long as you don't initially go for something like JBOD or RAID 0; there are - or of course - many, many other very good reasons to avoid these two particular dodgy options). :)

Bri

NB All I have to do now is to sell one of my other Qnap units; maybe the TS-659 Pro should now go to a more deserving home (someone who needs the 6 bays) or my TS-119P+ (as I can now instead use the TS-219P+ as my off-site unit).
APC Smart-UPS 750
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Post by GoetzVonBerlichingen »

QNAP's money. QNAP's house. QNAP's rules.

I am a little surprised that this Forum's administrators/moderators decided to start selectively deleting my posts beginning mid-October 2014. I was given no notice that I had violated some rule, nor a notice that my posts were being deleted. Readers should understand that the content you read has been selectively edited to ensure QNAP remains happy. It's almost as if this "Community Forum" is, in fact, intended to be a Potemkin village, and not a real community.

E'er the helpful type, I elected to help them eradicate traces of me, and deleted the contents of this post on 1 November 2014.
Last edited by GoetzVonBerlichingen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Several users who've volunteered their time and effort to provide assistance to QNAP owners via this Community Forum have chosen to no longer tolerate being ignored (被忽略) by QNAP ... concerning their requests regarding operation of the forum. QNAP owns, manages, and administers this forum in the manner they see fit.

Those that choose to contribute, must accept QNAP's stance, because with respect to administration/management, it's:

It's my choice, however, whether to play along. Several of my posts were deleted out of hand -- with neither notice nor prior warning -- by a chicken-$hit moderator or administrator ... 'working' behind the scenes, and with no attribution. While no great loss <g> ... I'll join those that no longer contribute.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

I've never heard the term 'denatured alcohol', but its nature is unimportant; quantity not quality is typically the key! :D Actually, I must remember to log out of Amazon before knocking back a bottle of red wine (or a wee dram; just saying that to 'wind up' Patrick :P ) as it's far to easy to hit the 'one click purchase' button and end up spending a fortune (like last night's £438 wild fling). I do have a long and complex password for Amazon (and all other sites) for security reasons, but it's actually quite useful at preventing post libation purchases (as I can't remember these passwords after a few glasses of wine).

As to the blue stain on Mr Gibsons 'boat race', I reckon he's been knocking back the methylated spirits whilst sprinting and thus missed his mouth; a true Scotsman would never waste his booze by spilling any of it on his face (likely even whilst drinking and driving)! :roll:

Bri :lol:
APC Smart-UPS 750
Rasphelt
New here

Post by Rasphelt »

Daaamn! That is cheap!

Being from the UK too I would love a more US like cost, however as that didn't seem to be possible I bought the bare bones 2Gb TS-453 Pro from Ebuyer for £490, along with 4 x WD20EFRX and 2 x 8Gb Crucial SODIMM's (CT2C8G3S1339MCEU) in the hope that it will work...

Anywho, first post on here and wanted to say hi and any feedback on the above would be welcomed.

Cheers
Ben

Return to “Presales”