TVS-x71 (PT, i3, i5, and i7) CPU+System+HD Temperture?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
iunlock
Getting the hang of things

TVS-x71 (PT, i3, i5, and i7) CPU+System+HD Temperture?

Post by iunlock »

What are your temperatures of your TVS-x71 NAS?

* If you could, please copy/paste the format below.

Model: TVS-871
CPU Type: i7
Room Temp: 22C/72F
Idle Temp: 37C
System Temp: 31C
Avg. HD Temp: 30C

Fan Speed: Auto

Avg. Temp during normal tasks: Mid 40C
Highest Temp under 80%-Max Load: 65C

Thanks
sWORDs
Know my way around

Re: TVS-x71 (PT, i3, i5, and i7) CPU+System+HD Temperture?

Post by sWORDs »

The differences will be very very minor. It's also not important if it's an i3, i5 or i7, only the TDP, room temp and load might make a difference and even then it will probably only increase the fan noise and not the temp.
TS-870 upgraded with i7 3770t and 16GB F3-1600C10D-16GSQ kit, replaced LAN-1G2T-D with Intel I350-T4.
6x 2TB Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 with Samsung 480GB MZ7WD480HAGM-00003 as SSD Cache.
NAS firmware 4.2.0 Build 20150716.
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

sWORDs wrote:The differences will be very very minor. It's also not important if it's an i3, i5 or i7, only the TDP, room temp and load might make a difference and even then it will probably only increase the fan noise and not the temp.
I do realize that about the TDP, but that's not what this is about. I'm just curious what the temps are for the fellow TVS-x71 owners and as you can see I did include Room Temp, as that's the biggest determining factor from my own experience.

On average my room temp is at 70-72F and the CPU idles at 37-38C. When the room temp is at 74F, the CPU temp goes up a few degree to 39-40C.
sWORDs
Know my way around

Post by sWORDs »

But as the fans are temperature driven why would you bother asking? Everybody will be having roughly the same numbers. And what has this todo with Getting Started or Presales?
I'm not saying you shouldn't ask the question, but maybe tell us why you'd like to know this?
TS-870 upgraded with i7 3770t and 16GB F3-1600C10D-16GSQ kit, replaced LAN-1G2T-D with Intel I350-T4.
6x 2TB Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 with Samsung 480GB MZ7WD480HAGM-00003 as SSD Cache.
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

sWORDs wrote:But as the fans are temperature driven why would you bother asking? Everybody will be having roughly the same numbers. And what has this todo with Getting Started or Presales?
I'm not saying you shouldn't ask the question, but maybe tell us why you'd like to know this?
I'm asking because I can. Has it occurred to you that there may be a reason why I'm asking in the first place? How is the reasoning behind the question relevant to the simple question that's purely data related?

This is a very valid presales question for those who are looking for details on temperature related info for the TVS-x71 models. Perhaps more geared to those who plan to do heavy media transcoding and CPU intensive tasks....

As you or may not know, the stock QNAP software for multimedia is pretty CPU intensive and quite frankly, not the best compared to the well known PLEX etc...

I have a media library in the thousands and it's not abnormal to see the CPU revving pretty high when transcoding, causing the CPU temps to be high as well regardless if the fans kick in or not. I've recently disabled all the stock multimedia and am using other software which is far smoother ... when you have 10+ people connected to the NAS steaming 1080p movies, streaming music, with some using VM etc... it's not abnormal to begin to think of ways to make it a little less intensive for the NAS. With that being said, it also makes you curious of the NAS temps of what other fellow QNAP TVS-X71 owners have.

If you had noticed, I've also included: Avg. Temp during normal tasks along with Highest Temp under 80% to Max Load.

Get it?

What are your temps?
sWORDs
Know my way around

Post by sWORDs »

I think you're making assumptions based on wrong data. Intel considers 55-65 a normal temperature and will start to throttle at 95. QNAP wants low noise, so they will try to keep your CPU below 65.
65 as highest temp isn't high, that's normal.
And it's always good to explain why you'd like to know something or what you're thinking, so we can think with you.

My temps are 5 degrees higher then yours (except max, that's equal), but I changed the fans for less noise and my nas is on top of two ESXi servers:

Model: TS-870
CPU Type: i7 3770T
Room Temp: 22C
Idle Temp: ? (It hardly ever idles as it's running 3 VM's)
System Temp: 47C
Avg. HD Temp: 34C

Avg. Temp during normal tasks: 52C
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

sWORDs wrote:I think you're making assumptions based on wrong data. Intel considers 55-65 a normal temperature and will start to throttle at 95. QNAP wants low noise, so they will try to keep your CPU below 65.
65 as highest temp isn't high, that's normal.
And it's always good to explain why you'd like to know something or what you're thinking, so we can think with you.

My temps are 5 degrees higher then yours (except max, that's equal), but I changed the fans for less noise and my nas is on top of two ESXi servers:

Model: TS-870
CPU Type: i7 3770T
Room Temp: 22C
Idle Temp: ? (It hardly ever idles as it's running 3 VM's)
System Temp: 47C
Avg. HD Temp: 34C

Avg. Temp during normal tasks: 52C
Fair enough. I should have included that info. Thanks for the temps...it gives me a general idea to compare with my temps on my TVS-871 (i7) to see if I should be worried or not.

The "Auto," setting on the fans do not seem to kick in fast enough. It lets the CPU rev for a long time at 80+%, while "Plex New Transcoder," is running in the background causing my CPU temps to go crazy at 72C!!!

You've mentioned that the CPU will throttle at 95C, however, the max operating temp. for our 4790S is rated at 71.35C? It makes me a little uneasy with my CPU temps hanging around the 72C mark. Should I be worried?

It's annoying having to adjust the fan speeds automatically to "High," just to get the temps back down to the mid 60's. I wonder why it's running so hot.

Then again....this is why I'm curious what the temps are for everyone else at max load. I see that you're max temp under load is 65C, which I'm thinking can be due to several factors given that our room temps seems to be the same at22C.

The TDP rating for the 4790S is 65W (GPU clock speed: 350MHz / 1,200MHz Turbo) , whereas your 3770T is 45W (GPU clock speed: 650MHz / 1,150MHz Turbo). I'm assuming that the higher TDP on my CPU along with the lower GPU clock speed could account for the higher temps on my NAS? Since it's probably using more CPU for the transcoding rather than having the GPU to carry more of the workload, which I think is happening with your CPU.

I've included a snap shot with some info. written on it.

1. The max CPU temp is 72C when Plex is transcoding. Should I be worried? What's throwing me off is the 41.35C max operating temp limit of the 4790S.

2. The system temps seem to be ok. Not too shabby and I've never seen it go past 42C even when the CPU is at 80%+ @ 72C.

3. The hard drive temps seem to be great. I've seen higher temps on other NAS devices....I've never seen the HD's go past 32C.

Any ideas? I'd like to know if anyone else has their CPU's dancing at 72C ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

Any way to manually change the "Auto" temp values within the code?
sWORDs
Know my way around

Post by sWORDs »

Mine doesn't do transcoding as I do not use it, high workload is from sabnzbd or vm's. Your CPU will run up to 80 degrees for an extended time without any damage. But 72 is hotter then I would have thought it would get, is it capable of getting enough cold air and releasing enough hot air?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Could a moderator please move this thread to a more appropriate forum, as it doesn't belong in Presales?

If so, then please also remove this post. Thank you!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

P3R wrote:If so, then please also remove this post. Thank you!
AFAIK moderators can not delete posts .... at least not without banning a user before :roll:
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

P3R wrote:Could a moderator please move this thread to a more appropriate forum, as it doesn't belong in Presales?

If so, then please also remove this post. Thank you!
What's with the hostility? Calm down junior. It's really not that big of a deal.

This topic is very broad and it can fit in many categories. Another thing you need to understand is that people may want to know such information out of curiosity, because we don't all have the same ambient temperatures or environments in general.

There is absolutely no gain in your useless comment.
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

sWORDs wrote:Mine doesn't do transcoding as I do not use it, high workload is from sabnzbd or vm's. Your CPU will run up to 80 degrees for an extended time without any damage. But 72 is hotter then I would have thought it would get, is it capable of getting enough cold air and releasing enough hot air?
How many VM's do you run on your NAS? I've been curious on how much the CPU will be taxed once I get my employee's running VM's, coupled with the same amount of streaming that is happening currently.

I've read a great article about intel temp gauges and it made it clear that 70's is just considered warm where as 80C is considered HOT. However, it did mention that it'll start throttling back more aggressively when it's at 100C. Based on the numbers they were providing, I don't think I really need to worry about much at this point and just let it fly....we'll see....

The 871 sits right below the AC vent and gets plenty of fresh air. The ambient room temp is always around 70-72F ...21-22C.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

iunlock wrote:What's with the hostility?
No hostility on my part. I merely suggested a move to a more appropriate part of the forum.
Another thing you need to understand is that people may want to know such information out of curiosity, because we don't all have the same ambient temperatures or environments in general.
I don't mind the thread and have said nothing against it's usefulness, I just want it placed in a subforum that is more obvious to look in for the people interested in the topic. Actually I believe that would make the thread more read in the future.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
iunlock

Post by iunlock »

P3R wrote:
iunlock wrote:What's with the hostility?
No hostility on my part. I merely suggested a move to a more appropriate part of the forum.
Another thing you need to understand is that people may want to know such information out of curiosity, because we don't all have the same ambient temperatures or environments in general.
I don't mind the thread and have said nothing against it's usefulness, I just want it placed in a subforum that is more obvious to look in for the people interested in the topic. Actually I believe that would make the thread more read in the future.
Fair enough. Thanks for re-clarifying the original intent of the message, because it came across the wrong way. All is good.

I'm all for moving it if needed. Please do ...

Return to “Presales”