Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam licence

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jfitzell
Starting out

Re: Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam lic

Post by jfitzell »

.:Plasma:. wrote:Apologies if it seems like I'm asking the same question again, I'm thinking of buying a TS-419P II.

If I read your answer right you are saying the VMobile app will only currently work with the TS-469, however Surveillance Station Pro will be avaliable for the other NAS's (inc TS-419P II) later this year?

Sorry for being so picky but I want to make sure I can do what I want before I take the plunge and buy one.

Plasma
As an owner of two QNAP devices and someone who has previously recommended their purchase, can I suggest you look for a non-QNAP alternative. Based on the last year of inaction and poor support, followed by a firmware release that removes advertised features from existing customers, I can assure you that your pickyness is justified. Buy something else.
QNAP TS-459P
QNAP TS-219P
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

jfitzell wrote:..., followed by a firmware release that removes advertised features from existing customers, ...
So what advertised feature was removed then please? Stop B.S. please.
produde
Starting out

Post by produde »

I got the ts-669 pro with a pre 3.6.1 firmware where 4 cameras were working. Then after upgrading to 3.6.1 (where it was stated that you cannot flash back to older f/w) only one camera was shown. Today with the 3.7.1 firmware I still see only one camera, whereas I had 4 in the beginning.
Complaining about this a few months ago I got no essential reply even after trying to contact support: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=58738
These business practices and $55 per channel are not nice for Qnap's good reputation (at least as I force myself to recall it).
Qnap: 4 cameras as default and then extra cameras to be charged would make sense, but not like this. :(
TS-439 pro II 1 GB, TS-669 pro 4(3)GB, TS-870 pro 16GB, TS-873 8GB
.:Plasma:.
Getting the hang of things

Post by .:Plasma:. »

I was of the understanding, and it was stated further up this thread, that if you had 4 configured to start with you would have 4 after the upgrade. As in it would license your currenr usage. Are you saying this is not the case? Begging to regret buying my TS-459 if that's true.

Plasma
QNAP TS-431XeU w/ 4 x WD Red 4TB 7200rpm (RAID5) - FW: 4.4.1
jack22
Starting out

Post by jack22 »

Could I know why M'y post has been deleted? Because of the copy of mail from QNAP support prooving That things will not change in thé future?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

jack22 wrote:Could I know why M'y post has been deleted? Because of the copy of mail from QNAP support prooving That things will not change in thé future?
Afraid, I don't know - I just moved your post (form another thread, of-topic there) in here intentionally - including the e-mail copy from QNAP Marketing. Just removed/shortened the introducing full quote for better readability.

Regards,
-Kurt.
jack22
Starting out

Post by jack22 »

Date : 26 juin 2012 15:49:25 HAEC
Hello jack22,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam licence" at "QNAP NAS
Community Forum". This topic has received a reply since your last visit.
You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more
notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
Come on Kurt . . . This topic was already here, you didn't had to move it anywhere. But anyway, I come again with my comment which fit perfectly in this topic :

Don't trust any delay for improvement or any change from QNAP support as the are not able to assume it, here come the sample :
Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your feedback. I can understand your eagerness by your words.

We will release a software for Mac OS to view the Surveillance Station on NAS before next April.

Should you have any further questions, please kindly let us know. Thank you so much.

With Best Regards,
Tiffany W***
Come on it's a pity, but don't buy a QNAP despite the good hardware.

BEst Regards, Jack.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

No, it was (and is again) off-topic here - Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam license - it was moved to Surveillance Station -> Mac Support herec http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 32#p273133

Look, we try hard to convince QNAP that the original subject here (licensing change) is reviewed.

QNAP changed plans with introducing Surveillance Station Pro (as in place on the QNAP NVR/Viotore devices) and not creating/maintaining two different Surveillance software code. This has caused a new schedule. Still, Surveillance Station Pro is delayed (except for the TS-x69), and sos is the OS X software as showcaed at COmputex already.
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

I'm writing to further support this topic and keep the thread well publicized.

I find QNAPs change to their Surveillance Station licensing that comes with the new 'Pro' version entirely unacceptable. I am a TS-459 Pro user of the last few years and I generally love the product. I am a home user, and bought this very capable and not-inexpensive model to take full advantages of all its features. I have been waiting for the surveillance station update to see the new IP camera support before I purchase my cameras. Currently my NAS supports 4 IP cams, just as when I purchased it. When I update to Surveillance Station Pro (in the future v4 firmware, apparently due late Q3 2012), my NAS will support only 1 IP cam! This is unacceptable -- it is a fundamental reduction in the advertised capabilities of the product that I've already purchased (I already paid for support for 4 IP cams when I purchased the NAS, so it is not right that I should have to pay again!)

I really hope QNAP will review their policy on this issue --- we, as users, are only requesting the original support for 4 IP cams that was advertised with the product when we purchased it! Surely a change to the policy on this issue is better than facing a class-action lawsuit?
Scrag Meister
New here

Post by Scrag Meister »

Just writing to agree with Bryce Wilkins comment.

Reducing the camera support from 4 to 1 seems like an unfair move for those of us with NAS based systems rather than VioStor based.

Leave the licence as 4 and give us more camera compatibility.
geva

Post by geva »

Writing to provide my support on the issue as well.

For me the issue should not be about QNAP fearing legal action - which would of course be normal for them to be pursued in various countries.

It is about the fact that they have sold their NASes with a list of features and have banged on the drum about all that they can do... however they can't. Their sales literature used to welcome a potential buyer does not state that surveillance will only work with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer web browser.

I understand that they may have challenges overcoming technical barriers to enable them to work on multiple browsers and OSes... but they should have thought about that before selling their NASes as having this capability (this was a reason I bought my first one). Regardless of any "enhancements" that have been mentioned, I think that it is fair that they should at least try to provide to their existing clients who have had faith in them the features that they have promised from the beginning.

If they take take inappropriate action to try to recover their major development costs for Surveillance Station Pro ASAP, or to protect their NVR business, they will just lose some of their loyal user base. As these "QNAP fans" typically have decent influential weight, it will certainly have more of an effect on their future sales than something like thinking that they'll spend a bit of money in court and the problem will go away. When customers feel betrayed they remember FOREVER! It has been almost 10 years since I've bought anything Sony since their decision to install DRM and tracking applications onto peoples computers via Rootkit virus (of course without any disclosure or approval).

QNAP... look at the big picture, not just the financial goals and strains of the moment.
sksk
Starting out

Post by sksk »

I have to agree with every one above; QNAP it’s a repulsive way to make business.

Should we fear for the future, that one-day a non-reversible firmware update will unable us to use some of the HD bays, unless a fee is paid? Please, ensure us that this it not a route you are going to take. Please, acknowledge that this Surveillance Station Pro move was a mistake that you refuse to repeat and roll it back.

br SK
trouty00
New here

Post by trouty00 »

I bought the qnap knowing I was paying a premium for for features like this which I would use in the future, I dont have any cams connected now but I always knew that once I run my cabling i could just connect them up. I have a TS-210 so licensed for 2 cameras (and i think upgradeable), are we saying that unless i activate two cameras now on the current f/w when v4.0 comes out I will only have one license?
I've many friends that ive convinced to buy NAS's but they keep buying synology. This will be a flaw I will have to point out if QNAP do this

Stu
geva

Post by geva »

Stu - as I understood from schumacku's explanation, if the cameras are active and configured before upgrading to the F/W which has Surveillance Station Pro, they should work, however you will not be able reconfigure them. This is just what I have understood from the details in this post.

The real question is what QNAP is going to do commercially about this issue between now and the time that they actually have the firmware ready (currently Q3 2012).
Hansaplastique
Getting the hang of things

Post by Hansaplastique »

As an owner of a 859 Pro, I wanted to hook up 2 cam's. I never did because I simply didn't have the cams yet.
Unknowingly I upgraded firmware after firmware, never using Surveillance Station.
And now that I could get my hand on 2 cams ... I'm screwed and can't use my QNAP for this purpose anymore.

Thanks QNAP ...
NAS: QNAP TVS-873, TS-869 Pro
QNAP Guides: English: QNAP articles at Tweaking4All, Nederlands: QNAP artikelen op Tweaking4All

Return to “Presales”