Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam licence

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam lic

Post by schumaku »

DJF3 wrote:Looking at online applications this is not an illusion, maybe a matter of Qnap's priorities....
I I still don't think there are many online applicaitons, allowing to control (and playback/FF/FR/...) in sync 24 or more video channels...
DJF3 wrote:I really feel that the surveillance part for storage products has not had the same attention as new features.
With Surveillance Staiton Pro, it's almost on pair with QNAP NVR VioStor - so that's the driving (and limiting) factor behind it. Some bean counters fear QNAP Security is loosing busisness when doing it right on the NAS I guess.
DJF3 wrote:PS. tnx for your support in these forums.. >16k posts???? :shock:
Sharing some spare time 8)
'napper
Know my way around

Post by 'napper »

DJF3 wrote: QNAP: No responses, no feedback, nothing.. Just like with all other issues. You feel like you're stuck being supported by great (non-Qnap) people on this forum.
Did anyone see that QNAP replied before your post..? For reference: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 30#p288002
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Afraid, no new insight on the licensing questions and all the still valid concerns.

Rumors say Surveillance Station Pro (as well as the classic Surveillance Station) should become available as QPKG in early October. Unclear if this applies to both v3.7 including the x69 or just to QTSv4.
'napper
Know my way around

Post by 'napper »

Maybe I'm missing something? QNAPJason said that

- Those who currently have 4 licenses can still keep using them when the new Surveillance Station will be released as QPKG, ie. just don't install the new Station
- OR they can upgrade to the new SS and use the 1 new license

What is still unclear?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well, many have accquired NAS with clear specs - and werewaiting for years for QNAP making the list of supported cameras competitive, or delayed the replacement of the outdated camerast to the availability of an update.

Further on, its very clear, that almost all NAS in the field were sold with two or four cam licenses - regardless.

Comparing to Synology, the QNAP NAS are ways more expensive - now we get a few new cams supported, still no option to customizeor streamline the cam support by editing an xml ressource, no generic manufacturer api support. QNAP wants licence fees for something ways off from the competition.

We can talk of the migration from existing number of cameras to Pro promised before, too.

Or lets talk simple any browser based Web monitoring, full HD and displayresolution adoptable mobile application for Android and iOS deviced - both tablet and phone display sizes.

The Windows standalone application to overcome the outdated IE ActiveX browser limitation doesnot exist either. Oncemore the Apple world seems to be preferred by QNAP - better apps, complete iTab and iPhone app support. Windows and Android can wait somemore years.

Honestly - and I''m a QNAP geek: Frieds seeking NAS with Surveillance hear another brand name.

Yes, we're promised advantages to come for years.

Have already challenged QNAP for newer cams models or new brands? Ever compared QNAP Surveillance Pro cam support liet with the one from the competition?
'napper
Know my way around

Post by 'napper »

Ok I get what you're saying now. I haven't really used the Surveillance Station enough to have a clear picture of how well it works, but as I recall it didn't exactly blow my mind when I tried it long time ago. The argument that QNAP should step up their game compared to their competition is solid, I'm sure. However, I still don't see the license issue as bad as some claim it to be. Everyone can still keep updating their firmware and use the "old" Surveillance Station with four licenses. They just don't be getting further updates to the SS. Fair? Maybe not. Illegal? If QNAP didn't promise updates for SS for years to come in their contracts, not.

Eventually, if people are not happy, they will vote with their wallets.
hercem
First post

Post by hercem »

1st post, not a customer yet...

I was so close to order TS-419P but reading this post really chilled me down. I searched for any drawbacks I was not aware of and I found one right here.

Specification:
TS-419P - Max Number of Cameras 4
*non-exiting text - You need to buy licenses if you want to use our latest software with more than 1 camera

Searcing comparison chart don't mention "license" with a word: http://www.qnap.com/static/products/com ... ll_NAS.php

Community feedback:
"Almost all NAS in the field were sold with two or four cam licenses - regardless"
"Waiting for years for QNAP making the list of supported cameras competitive"
"Outdated cameras to the availability of an update"
"I expect support for 4 cameras"
"If this would be tolerated ... what limitation would be next ???"
"Changing terms on existing customers doesn't fill me with confidence that other "features" will suddenly become licensed in the future."
"Customers looking for a NAS see the NVR option as an added value ot the NAS - not as a replacement of an NVR."
"Firmware release that removes advertised features from existing customers"
"Paid for support for 4 IP cams when I purchased the NAS, so it is not right that I should have to pay again"
"When customers feel betrayed they remember FOREVER!"
"Surveillance will only work with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer web browser"
"I'm screwed and can't use my QNAP for this purpose anymore"
"Everybody seems to agree that the old surveillance station was broken/outdated beyond repair."

I wanted a NAS to have a low power fileserver with raid and software modules working out of the box. Moving external hd's away from the htpc and have cameras connected and working with the NAS without a lot of configuration. But with support for only 1 camera I have to look for other options. In my case it's not worth $675 for a TS-419P + $165.00 to purchase 3 more licences @ $55/camera. The licenses probarly also needs to be renewed every year. I have hardware for other solutions and with configuration of a surveillance server I also knows what I get. The QNAP surveillance station was a bonus but not anymore with only support for 1 camera. I don't even know if the camera compatible list I looked at earlier was for the old version 1 or only the new pro version.

Can anybody please clearify if other browers than IE is supported? Please specify for S.S. v1 and S.S. pro.
"Note: The Surveillance Station Pro only supports 32-bit Internet Explorer version 7.0 or above"
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

hercem wrote: Can anybody please clearify if other browers than IE is supported? Please specify for S.S. v1 and S.S. pro.
"Note: The Surveillance Station Pro only supports 32-bit Internet Explorer version 7.0 or above"
No, no other browsers are supported. Yet another ActiveX-only junk.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

doktornotor wrote:No, no other browsers are supported. Yet another ActiveX-only junk.
Earlier days it was junk - nowadays these are Apps 8)

Being a realist and not a dreamer: Such an application can't be implemented in HTML/JavaScript/HTML5/Ajax.

QNAP has already made the QNAP Surveillance Client for Mac 1.1.0 Build5707 available, similar the Vmobile App for iOS and Android.

The Windows version of the QNAP Surveillance Client is overdue. Similar, a Linux version - which is absolutely feasible, considering the Mac client is X-based 8)

Pretty much off-topic now - and of course Surveillance Station Pro related.

Licensing: Still unresolved ... lot of unhappy customers.
monksblood
New here

Post by monksblood »

I'm glad I read this. Thanks for the posts
Scrag Meister
New here

Post by Scrag Meister »

Is there any update on when/if TS410 owners will be able to use Surveillance Station Pro? Or at least enhance the list of compatible cameras so we can use the normal Surveillance Station that came with the unit.
pablouk
New here

Post by pablouk »

Hi guys iam a real nooob to cctv but iam trying to purchase a good HD external ip camera that will work with the TS459 pro 2 but i dont want to shell out cash and find out its not compatible with the NAS.

Is there no other recording software available for the QNAP TS459 instead of using the built in surveillance station pro?

or does anyone know of a good HD budget camera that will work with the Ver 1 of the software.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place for posting please feel free to move it

Thanks Paul
Jeje2
New here

Post by Jeje2 »

What is the situation of this software upgrade to non x69 models?

I'm thinking of 419 and/or 412 models -- shall this change come with v4 of software? When shall v4 then come?
(As I'm planning for future some camera surveillance into our home...)
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

Jeje2 wrote:What is the situation of this software upgrade to non x69 models?

I'm thinking of 419 and/or 412 models -- shall this change come with v4 of software? When shall v4 then come?
(As I'm planning for future some camera surveillance into our home...)
It is included in the v3.8.- for the arm models now, its in the 419 and 219.

Should you use it? no.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

QNAP - anyone still alive in your corp HQ to issue a statement on the licensing issue, or are you all still having your heads stuck in sand? You know, you cannot unilateraly alter the product specs ex post, i.e. after purchase. To give you the clue on what happens next - the customers go to their reseller and return the product for breach of contract. Then the reseller goes and throws those returned boxes on your heads (in case those still being stuck in sand, they might decide to send some lawyers out to kick your corporate asses instead... ) And depending on whether there is still someone left with a bit of brain, you refund them, apologize for your brainfart and do not ever do this again - or your business with those reseller guys is pretty much finished forever.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!

Return to “Presales”