When will 470 PRO be available for purchase?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
schumaku
Guru

Re: When will 470 PRO be available for purchase?

Post by schumaku »

serf wrote:I just checked amazon and they are advertising the proc as a dual core 2.6, not an i3 3.3 ghz.
I assume you are talking of Amazon covering the North American or European market here - yes, this perfectly fits to the information I've got today.
serf wrote:So would this PDF just contain stale data then since it calls out an i3 for all iterations?
Page six, bottom right:
ALL specification are subject to change without notice.
Appears things have changed since June 2013 when this leaflet was published.

Can't understand on how QNAP would deal with such model differences in todays worldwide Internet market. Confusion and disappointments are pre-programmed.
Packetboy
Starting out

Post by Packetboy »

That is just crazy... I was all set to buy the 470 no way now its not the i3!!!
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

Way
xga
Starting out

Post by xga »

If the non Pro model is the only available model for me, I'll just buy an i3 cpu and replace the Celeron G550. The i3 3220 runs at 55W vs 65W for the Celeron G550, so it should run cooler and be slighlty cheaper to run too.
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

I certainly don't like the idea of buying a new CPU as soon as I've shelled out for a £700 piece of hardware, two reasons:

1. Cost is going to be about £90
2. It's going to immediately void your warranty

A few reasons for choosing the i3:

- It supports hardware-accelerated transcoding? Wouldn't this help the functionality of the QNAP, the apps it uses?
- The i3 3220 has the AVM instruction set, which improves Linux raid format (assuming that QNAP use it in their kernel build) which QNAP would probably want to make use of.
- I don't suppose QNAP are worried about this but the i3 power consumption is lower. Will the celery require a fan assisted heat-sink?
- Memory types are different DDR3-1066 for the celery and DDR3-1333/1600 for i3 - this will impact performance, motherboard compatibility(?) and cost
- Obviously this is not a reason for choosing i3: Cost is nearly 3x more for i3.

Link for http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb- ... =135T&link CPU comparison.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

frustin wrote:2. It's going to immediately void your warranty
In most legislations, updating DRAM or CPU is a typical user right, not breaking the warranty. Obvious, you need to swap back to the original set-up in case.
frustin wrote:- It supports hardware-accelerated transcoding? Wouldn't this help the functionality of the QNAP, the apps it uses?
Using which technology, command set, ...?
frustin wrote:- The i3 3220 has the AVM instruction set, which improves Linux raid format (assuming that QNAP use it in their kernel build) which QNAP would probably want to make use of.
Guess you talk about the AVX instruction set extension. Yes, there was some code added to speed-up some operations.
The additional code related to RAID6 was added and committed to the Linux RAID in December 2012:
lib/raid6: Add AVX2 optimized gen_syndrome functions
Add AVX2 optimized gen_syndrom functions, which is simply based on
sse2.c written by hpa.
frustin wrote:- I don't suppose QNAP are worried about this but the i3 power consumption is lower. Will the celery require a fan assisted heat-sink?
There was no such beast on the similar models with CPU on higher heat dissipation.
frustin wrote:- Memory types are different DDR3-1066 for the celery and DDR3-1333/1600 for i3 - this will impact performance, motherboard compatibility(?) and cost
Questionable if this makes an advantage or the NAS functionality - which is limited by other factors. Faster DRAM is more mainstream, prices are lower interestingly.
frustin wrote:- Obviously this is not a reason for choosing i3: Cost is nearly 3x more for i3.
Obvious - the price of the non-pro must be lower therefore. Looks like QNAP does se Europe and North America to be "price sensitive". For my part, I don't fully agree - as this class of NAS has some geek factor. Thus I'm concerned about the Celeron decision.y
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

schumaku wrote:Guess you talk about the AVX instruction set extension. Yes, there was some code added to speed-up some operations.
The additional code related to RAID6 was added and committed to the Linux RAID in December 2012:
lib/raid6: Add AVX2 optimized gen_syndrome functions
Add AVX2 optimized gen_syndrom functions, which is simply based on
sse2.c written by hpa.
Exactly that. When you read this sort of thing: http://serverfault.com/questions/118181 ... pare-raid6, that makes RAID6 almost a requirement for a medium office environment in a larger disk system.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

frustin wrote:Exactly that. When you read this sort of thing: http://serverfault.com/questions/118181 ... pare-raid6, that makes RAID6 almost a requirement for a medium office environment in a larger disk system.
No doubt, having just a hot spare i.e. on a four bay NAS with a three spindle RAID5 does not make any sense. Obvious - having a RAID6 does add redundancy. And if there is a slot for a hot spare on top, perfect.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Operating a few Celeron and i3 based systems (i.e. for TVHeadend). The effective NAS performance (let's talk of SAMBA, nothing really challenging) does not differ much on one or two year old processors, so I assume this might be similar to i3-3220 vs. G550
frustin wrote:- It supports hardware-accelerated transcoding? Wouldn't this help the functionality of the QNAP, the apps it uses?
This is most likely the biggest feature shortage ... no live transcoding ... neither for QNAP's own apps nor fast enough in Plex, too.

What-if QNAP states no live transcoding on the non-Pro?
Is this worth the less then 100 US$ lower street price?
Or would this adjust buying TS-x70 Pro in Asia?
frustin
Know my way around

Post by frustin »

schumaku wrote:Operating a few Celeron and i3 based systems (i.e. for TVHeadend). The effective NAS performance (let's talk of SAMBA, nothing really challenging) does not differ much on one or two year old processors, so I assume this might be similar to i3-3220 vs. G550
I have a TS-419p and a 120Mbps internet connection. It maxs out at about 2-3Mps download with 100% CPU. My friend has a 509 with a top spec processor and he's getting 9-10Mbps (which is what I would be expecting).
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Well, to make long story short: dear QNAP, certainly not interested in Celerons. And certainly not interested in similar marketing bullshít. Get your common sense together and stop this nonsense.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
xga
Starting out

Post by xga »

For those that are interested, here is a link to the Taiwanese Press release (translated into English) for the x70 Pro range. The Press release was published on the 27th of August.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... hp?id=2346

Interestingly they mention that they all support up to 16GB of RAM.

Here's also an interim review (translated from Chinese) of the TS-470 Pro.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 72266.html

The images on page 4 of the review make it look like it might be fairly difficult to change the CPU in the non Pro model...
Packetboy
Starting out

Post by Packetboy »

Yea its on their main page now but only on the Chinese site..

http://www.qnap.com/i/cht/product/model.php?II=106
xga
Starting out

Post by xga »

Thanks Packetboy!
Mr_Cyclon
New here

Post by Mr_Cyclon »

Today i took a look again at the different asian web sites of QNAP.
For me it looks like the availability depends on the target market/country. Some countries get a x70pro, others (only) a x70.

On the japanese Sub site is a link for the x70 (non pro Versions). There is still the x69 Version, but there is no x70 pro. As an example i did compare the 869pro with the 870:
http://www.qnap.com/jp/compare.php?lang ... 9717,10290

On the chinese site are both pro Versions, the 869pro and the 870pro. Again i compared the 869pro with a 870 model, the "pro"
http://www.qnap.com/i/cht/product/contr ... %5B%5D=108

These Information again confirm what users (schumaku) wrote here earlier. The 870pro get an i3 cpu, the non-pro models a newer Atom.
Maybe the 870 (non-pro) / 870pro will replace the 869pro as soon as the 2.13 GHz Atoms are out of stock?

Return to “Presales”