Deciding between 453 pro, 469 pro, 451

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Re: Deciding between 453 pro, 469 pro, 451

Post by parkerc »

Hi @Raphelt

Now that you've joins the TS-453 Pro club, :( feel free to comment/contribute to this dedicated TS-453 thread that I have up and running -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=99056

I'm very new to QNAP, so I'm very much learning as I go, but it would be great to hear other peoples experiences, advice and any issues too.
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

Thus far, I'm totally delighted with my TS-453. I had a peek inside and the build quality is quite excellent (and I'm rather a fussy b**ger about such things). The only minor irritation is that I had set it up as being for a business (as opposed to the 'home' option) and it all looked very clean, but when I installed Download Station, it 'exposed' all the other stations (and enabled them), it exposed the Multimedia share (etc) and turned on that pesky Media Library service (none of which I wanted; I just wanted the Download Station). Fortunately, I noticed that the Media Library scanner was active (I spotted it in the logs) before I'd transferred any media and thus it didn't have a chance to create all the hidden files and thumbnails throughout my media collection (I'm not sure that would even have happened, as I use a bespoke share for my Media, not the Multimedia one). I've disabled the media library scanner and the associated media stations, so all is now exactly as I want it. More an interesting observation than a gripe; as I say, I'm more than absolutely delighted with my new TS-453.

Bri :)

Edit: Oh yes, and my other 'gripe' is that the SMART stats are now in hex, so I actually have to think when reading them; I'm getting way too old for all that sort of thing! :lol:
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
pioada
Starting out

Post by pioada »

Briain wrote:Hi

Thus far, I'm totally delighted with my TS-453. I had a peek inside and the build quality is quite excellent (and I'm rather a fussy b**ger about such things). The only minor irritation is that I had set it up as being for a business (as opposed to the 'home' option) and it all looked very clean, but when I installed Download Station, it 'exposed' all the other stations (and enabled them), it exposed the Multimedia share (etc) and turned on that pesky Media Library service (none of which I wanted; I just wanted the Download Station). Fortunately, I noticed that the Media Library scanner was active (I spotted it in the logs) before I'd transferred any media and thus it didn't have a chance to create all the hidden files and thumbnails throughout my media collection (I'm not sure that would even have happened, as I use a bespoke share for my Media, not the Multimedia one). I've disabled the media library scanner and the associated media stations, so all is now exactly as I want it. More an interesting observation than a gripe; as I say, I'm more than absolutely delighted with my new TS-453.

Edit: Oh yes, and my other 'gripe' is that the SMART stats are now in hex, so I actually have to think when reading them; I'm getting way too old for all that sort of thing! :lol:
Thanks Briain for your review...
I 'm going to buy a TS-453, and I would like to ask you if you've tried virtualization, I am worried that the processor is not powerful enough. (Quad-Core 2Gb Ram)
Thanks
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

I ordered up 2 x 4 GB of Kingston RAM (£58 for the pair, from Amazon.co.uk) but sadly, it didn't arrive today (it was supposed to). It should be here in the morning, so I'll maybe even get a chance to try it tomorrow afternoon (depends what else gets in the way). I've a bunch of VM's (Debian, LM, Win 7 and Win XP) created via Virtualbox on my laptop, and after very briefly looking at the Qnap tutorial, it looks (from the screenshot) like it might even be able to import .ova files. If that actually works, I'll be well pleased (both surprised and overjoyed, in fact, though I am assuming the worst and that I'll have to just build new ones from ISO files); either way, I'll hopefully be able to answer that, quite soon (assuming all of my time doesn't get allocated to other things).

TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
pioada
Starting out

Post by pioada »

Thanks Briain for your help..I am very undecided at this time!
Apart the virtualization, it is a good machine? The transcoding works or is it just for make advertise?
Many Thanks
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

pioada wrote:Thanks Briain for your help..I am very undecided at this time!
Apart the virtualization, it is a good machine? The transcoding works or is it just for make advertise?
Many Thanks
Hello

Yes, in my opinion it is an excellent piece of equipment. It is very well constructed, has a low energy consumption - the power consumption isn't far above that of an ARM NAS (which is what you want for a 24/7 running device) - and yet it is a powerful NAS. It is also well designed (great airflow through it) and has a large and slow running fan (so with WD Red disks, it's surprisingly quiet) so for me, it ticks all the correct boxes.

To be honest, it's more powerful than I really require, as though I do want to play with virtualisation, it's more for hobby related applications (I've a few cool ideas) than for any real need. I was pondering one of the plastic case models (like the 251) but I rather like having things in a metal case. I also wanted one with an internal power supply as it's not the first time that I've accidentally pulled out the DC cable in my TS-119P+ (when pulling out a cat5, or the likes, which runs behind it).

My main usage is for data storage (I store nothing on my laptop, PC or tablets; it's all on my NAS) and for streaming music (I've about 45,000 FLAC files) so it is way over powered for its main roll, but as I say, I am looking forward to playing with virtualisation and I did want a top quality (construction) unit, so I am glad that I opted for the TS-453.

Bri

NB In this post, there are a couple of links to sites with photos of it being opened up, and there's a third link in the post a few down from that one.
APC Smart-UPS 750
pioada
Starting out

Post by pioada »

I look forward to coming to know virtualization if works and then buy this beautiful machine!
Briain , when you can write about virtualization.
I have many ideas in my mind if it works quite well! :)
Many thanks
TS-470 Pro with 8Gb Ram
3 x WD40EFRX
GoetzVonBerlichingen
Know my way around

Post by GoetzVonBerlichingen »

Briain wrote: a wee dram; just saying that to 'wind up' Patrick :P )
Here's a better 'winder' : < - - Click me, I'm a Link - - >

Back when life was simpler, and PMs existed in the forum, I described for pwilson the difference between "depreciation" and "deprecation" ... not that it did any good. :wink: "A nod's as good as a wink to a blind man," to quote a Monty Python sketch. I continue to cringe at his misuse of "depreciation" in light of the obvious care he uses to express himself correctly.
Several users who've volunteered their time and effort to provide assistance to QNAP owners via this Community Forum have chosen to no longer tolerate being ignored (被忽略) by QNAP ... concerning their requests regarding operation of the forum. QNAP owns, manages, and administers this forum in the manner they see fit.

Those that choose to contribute, must accept QNAP's stance, because with respect to administration/management, it's:

QNAP's money. QNAP's house. QNAP's rules.

It's my choice, however, whether to play along. Several of my posts were deleted out of hand -- with neither notice nor prior warning -- by a chicken-$hit moderator or administrator ... 'working' behind the scenes, and with no attribution. While no great loss <g> ... I'll join those that no longer contribute.

Return to “Presales”