Noise dB between 451 & 453

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
solarisfr
Starting out

Noise dB between 451 & 453

Post by solarisfr »

Dear power user of Qnap,

I need your help to decide which one to buy. I hesitate between 451 & 453. My usage storage, backup, streaming, and no virtualization.

I prefer the 453 (4 core, 2G, metal case) but as the NAS will be close to my TV i am concerned about the noise generated by the 453 as it is a fan 9cm versus 12cm (451) and the power supply integrated in 453 has also a small fan that could make a lot of noise. I read review of noise for 451 that indicates very low noise but what for the 453 ?

Additional question : do you know where the IR sensor is on the 453 ?

Could you please share your views with me that will help me to choose ?
I will put 3 WD Red 3To.
Thx a lot.
Best regards, Solaris
schumaku
Guru

Re: Noise dB between 451 & 453

Post by schumaku »

The small power supply fan requires some more regular dust cleaning to remain silent. Of course, if going high RPM due to load, it is audible and has some "special" pitch.
solarisfr wrote:Additional question : do you know where the IR sensor is on the 453 ?
Below the LCD display, right end, near to the two control buttons most likely.
solarisfr
Starting out

Post by solarisfr »

Will you go to 451 or 453 according my needs ? Thx
kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

i think the question is what kind of streaming will you be doing. that will determine the CPU needs you have which will lead you to the correct device. will you be transcoding your streams in real time? If so, how many at once? What kind of files are your processing (crazy BR bitrate MKVs)? If more than 2 i would go with the 453 or if your bitrates are really high. if 1 or 2 standard HD streams then the 451 should suffice. It really depends on what and how you're streaming though, imo.

Return to “Presales”