[Linux Station] VMware Workstation/Player or Oracle Virtualbox on Linux station : how to ?

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
legonima
New here

[Linux Station] VMware Workstation/Player or Oracle Virtualbox on Linux station : how to ?

Post by legonima »

Hello all,

This question for all, but maybe especially for Father_mande alias Philippe ;) , who, I saw on Youtube, already played with stuff like this before the launch of Linux Station.

I just bought a TS-253A and would like to run VMware Player/Workstation on it instead of Virtualization Station, which I find slow/not user-friendly.

I've installed v12.1 of VMware Workstation in Linux Station 16.04 but I'm stuck at startup when it asks me for a specific version of gcc (4.1.3) and I can't resolve/bypass this step.

I also tried installing virtualbox (using apt-get), looking for an alternative, but got stuck again when a module (vboxdrv) was not found.

Do you have any idea how to solve this ?

Is it at all possible with the new QNAP OS to use an alternative to Virtualization station ?

Thanks for your reply

Regards,
Mathieu(FR)

QNAP OS : latest as of 13/05/2016
Linux Station : Ubuntu 16.04

PS : This is my first post here, hope to be able to help the community in the future :)
Last edited by legonima on Sat May 14, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
legonima
New here

Re: [Linux Station] VMware Workstation/Player or Oracle Virtualbox on Linux station : how to ?

Post by legonima »

Hello Philippe,

First, thanks for your fast answer!

I will try what you said after a serious refresh of my linux skills :) I'm not very familiar with LXC specificities...
Anyway, I'll dig and let you know the result.

FYI, Linux Station Ubuntu 16.04 has been available for a few days only, just saw it earlier this week, but it was not last weekend.

Have a nice evening,
Mathieu
5and20
Starting out

Re: [Linux Station] VMware Workstation/Player or Oracle Virtualbox on Linux station : how to ?

Post by 5and20 »

legonima wrote:I will try what you said after a serious refresh of my linux skills :) I'm not very familiar with LXC specificities...
Anyway, I'll dig and let you know the result.

Mathieu
Hello Mathieu

Hope you won't mind me joining your thread, but I'm considering a move to QNAP and am very interested in running VirtualBox, so would love to know how you're getting / have got on?

Would you mind sharing, please?

Thanks in advance, Edward
legonima
New here

Post by legonima »

Hello,

I reached my goal, but not at all in the way I intented to... But maybe this will interest people anyway ;)

I abandoned the idea to have virtualbox/vmware running on Linux station (too tricky for my skills) but I instead installed Windows 8.1 x64 as barebone OS on the TS-253A. (Yes it's possible, you have to hit F2 at NAS startup to access BIOS like any standard PC and change boot disk to any HDD instead of booting the integrated/hidden USB device containing QNAP bootloader)

I then installed VMware workstation on Windows the classical way...

Here's my setup :

- Windows is installed on HDD1 which is a SSD 512GB. VMs are stored on this SSD too.
- Data is on HDD2 which is a SSHD from Seagate
- After some reading some forums about 251+ using 16GB RAM, I bought 2 sticks of 8GB RAM and have now 16GB RAM recognised by the system and fully usable (even if Intel documentation says that Celeron N3150 supports 8GB RAM max, I can confirm that it works flawlessly) - Reference : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008JIVN3I

Pros :

- The system is very fast. Fast at boot, fast at using... VMs performance are so much greater than with Virtualization Station. Hardware acceleration for video transcoding also seems to be present :)
- User friendly : I finally use it like a NUC but with 2 HDD slots

Cons:

- I finally don't use QNAP software (but I can switch back to it any day if I decide to). I will use XPENology or OpenMediavault in a VM if I want advanced file sharing features...
- No sound via HDMI : using of jack output is a good workaround
- Some devices remain unknown in Windows Device Manager. Could not find any drivers suitable for them. Quite a shame but the box is fully usable as it is.
- No RAID in my setup : as a workaround I have a data replication task to copy files on an external HDD drive

Next test : install of a barebone ESXi ;)

Have a nice day,
Mathieu
mccombs
Starting out

Post by mccombs »

Nice! Were you able to get ESXi working? I would love to know if Proxmox would be installable and usable on the TS-X53As.
legonima
New here

Post by legonima »

Hello,

Still no luck with ESXi : I got stuck with a similar problem than this one at installation : http://talesfromthedatacenter.com/archives/582
but the described solution does not work.

As of Proxmox, I failed to create the bootable USB stick for installation and gave up at this time.

Regards,
Mathieu

PS: Also updated NAS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition with no issue
herrcafe
Starting out

Post by herrcafe »

Another one joining the thread. I'm also trying to run VMware or Virtualbox or anything else really to get any Windows flavor running on my QNAP mini 16GB RAM. Like you guys I'm stuck with the requirements for gcc 4.3 and the failure to properly install vboxdrv. For what I can tell the problem is that Linux Station is just a container inside QNAP Linux that cannot compile the required modules, but don't quote me on that. I'm giving up as the problems are way beyond my *nix skills, but if anyone knows a quick and dirty approach to get virtualization to work inside Linux station I'd be very happy to give it a go.
--
QNAP 453mini 16GB RAM RAID5 4 x 6TB HGST HUS726060ALA640
QNAP UX-500P Expansion Unit RAID5 5 x 4TB HGST HUS724040ALA640

Return to “Official Apps”