MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
rules909
First post

Re: MAC OSX 10.9 (Maverick) - Time Machine issues

Post by rules909 »

My TM backup stopped working after about 400mb. I solved it by deleting the TM backup file.
Login->Backup management->Time Machine->Manage Backup

*EDIT* This worked just one time.. Please fix this QNAP!
j3schwartz
New here

Post by j3schwartz »

I admit that I didn't read ALL the posts in this thread... that being said, this is what works for me:

First, my environment:
QNAP 419P II running 4.0.2 connected an Apple Airport Extreme (7.6.4) via Ethernet.
Mac Mini Server (Mavericks 10.9.3 / Server 3.1.2) connected to the Airport via Ehternet
MacBook Air (Mavericks 10.9.3) , MacBook Pro 17"(Mavericks 10.9.3), MacBook Pro 13" (Mavericks 10.9.3) all connected vie WiFi.

NOTE: all following command are run in Terminal

As was stated in many previous posts Time Machine backups were failing/no longer connecting to the QNAP after upgrading to 10.9.x. I tried to establish a connection using "tmutil" by doing this (as was stated in previous posts):

sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://[IP Address of NAS]/TMBackup which failed continually with this error:

No user specified. (error -50)
The backup destination could not be added

After doing a small amount of reading I tried this:

sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://[user]@[IP Address of NAS]/TMBackup

applied admin password

applied TMBackup password

Now all my backups are working... they are still going, I'll post a follow-up when they complete. Also, I'll report on the stability/consistency after reboots and the like.

First try (x3):
user@localhost ~ $ sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://[419PII]/TMBackup
Password:
Destination password:
No user specified. (error -50)
The backup destination could not be added.
user@localhost ~ $

Successful try:
user@localhost ~ $ sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://[TM_User]@[419PII]/TMBackup
Password:
Destination password:
user@localhost ~ $

I speculate that Mavericks is looking for a challenge response for user access and doesn't receive a response so a TM connection can't be made, and "you" don't get a prompt for a username and password.

Lastly, I found this page on the TMUTIL which may be helpful:
http://www.real-world-systems.com/docs/tmutil.1.html

With a special thanks to Patric Wilson for posting the answer in another thread!

NOTE: [2014.11.07] I found this and fixed both the Time Machine issue as well as the firmware update issue:

http://www.qnap.com/i/en/product_x_down ... 145&II=118

all my TM issues got sorted... as well as being able to load the latest firmware 4.1.1 - With a special thanks to schumaku for posting the answer in another thread!
Last edited by j3schwartz on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
--Jonathan

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" -Steven Wright
bernier25
First post

Post by bernier25 »

I had the same issue on my TS-659 (FW 4.1), I could finally connect again by deleting the .timemachine folder on the NAS, restarting it,
and finally attaching to it again by issuing a tmutil setdestination as described in this thread.
cander328
New here

Post by cander328 »

Where do I find the .timemachine folder?
bernier25 wrote:I had the same issue on my TS-659 (FW 4.1), I could finally connect again by deleting the .timemachine folder on the NAS, restarting it,
and finally attaching to it again by issuing a tmutil setdestination as described in this thread.
j3schwartz
New here

Post by j3schwartz »

cander328 wrote:Where do I find the .timemachine folder?
bernier25 wrote:I had the same issue on my TS-659 (FW 4.1), I could finally connect again by deleting the .timemachine folder on the NAS, restarting it,
I would be hesitant before deleting anything. You "may" not have to delete the folder! One of the issues that I've come across is a failure to connect to the file, in this case, [my-system].sparsebundle because it is already in use (stale file handle/open file). Before deleting, ssh into your NAS and do an "lsof | grep [my-system].sparsebundle" and you should see output like this:

[~] # lsof | grep sv365svr2
afpd 17068 TimeMachine cwd DIR 9,0 528384 179306500 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 5u REG 9,0 0 179306501 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/token
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 6u REG 9,0 8388608 179310821 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/10f1
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 9u REG 9,0 8388608 179318559 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/2f2b
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 10u REG 9,0 8388608 179310822 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/10f2
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 11u REG 9,0 8388608 179312848 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/18dc
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 12u REG 9,0 8388608 179310820 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/10f0
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 13u REG 9,0 8388608 179310818 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/10ee
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 14u REG 9,0 8388608 179312847 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/18db
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 15u REG 9,0 8388608 179310819 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/10ef
afpd 17068 TimeMachine 17u REG 9,0 8388608 179312849 /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/[my-system].sparsebundle/bands/18dd
[~] #

Then do a "kill -9 [pid]" in this case the PID is 17068

[~] # kill -9 17068

Do the LSOF that we did earlier and you should see this:

[~] # lsof | grep [my-system].sparsebundle
[~] #

Now I'm not saying that this will absolutely work, but I've been noticing, for me, that if I reboot my system and even the NAS the sparse bundle still shows "in use". The easiest way to resolve the issue, again for me, was to kill the pid that that was causing the file remain in an open state.

By performing these steps I didn't have to delete my backup! Also, if you delete the .timemachine folder you'll loose ALL the other backups that reside there.

That being said, the path should look like this:

/share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/

It may look slightly different, but it will take that general form.

Lastly, I wouldn't delete anything till I 1. RTFM , and 2. was absolutely sure that NOTHING else would work... just sayin'
--Jonathan

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" -Steven Wright
CrashTestOz
New here

Post by CrashTestOz »

I am having the same issues as above.

I tried everything suggested here including the steps j3schwartz suggests. Nothing helps.

I am on TS-469L v4.1.0 0612.

I have TimeMachine enabled in Backup Station. My client Time Machine can see the share but when I try to type the user name TimeMachine and the password - it won't accept it. I have tried reseting the password many times. Still no go.

My TimeMachine folder exists here: /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine/ but its empty.

All this stopped working when I upgraded from 4.05 to 4.0.7 and still does not work on 4.1.0 0612.

There are lots of other people in the same boat - QNAP Please help.

I sent a help request to QNAP but they are unresponsive. :(
----------------------
QNAP TS469L v4.0.7 0410
McFuzz
Starting out

Post by McFuzz »

Hi all,

Hitting the same issues as everyone on my TS-421U running latest stable of 4.1.0 and my Macbook Air running 10.9.4. I actually decided to clean my entire backup folder - so no sparsebundle file exists; disabled TM, rebooted both my Mac and the QNAP and then attempted to enable first TM on the QNAP then on the Mac.

The result is that... I am not able to see the TM service as a usable disk. Funny thing is that if I try to mount any of my shares - that share suddenly becomes available for use for Time Machine backups!

I then tried to terminal approach per j3schwartz and...:

Code: Select all

xxxxxx:~ xxxxxx$ sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://admin@a.b.c.d/TMBackup
Destination password: 
Failed to open session. (error 64)
The backup destination could not be added.

Same results if I try the 'Timemachine' username. No idea what error 64 means and a quick google search did not yield any results...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edit:

Here's a funny situation -- I changed the TimeMachine user password on the qnap to something other than the admin password (I am the only user really) - if I try to use the TimeMachine password with the TimeMachine username, it gives me this error: Failed to open session. (error 5).

If I try to use the admin password using the TimeMachine username, it gives me error 64; use admin as username and TimeMachine pw - get this: Failed to mount afp://a.b.c.d/TMBackup (error 2) -- which I suppose is expected.
CrashTestOz
New here

Post by CrashTestOz »

I wonder is in our cases the permission on the .timemachine folder are corrupt?

Also notice that there is a symlink in /share/TMBackup -> /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine
----------------------
QNAP TS469L v4.0.7 0410
CrashTestOz
New here

Post by CrashTestOz »

Here is something to try:

Create a shared folder e.g. TimeMachine
Allow your standard user R/W alternatively create a user called backup and allow that user r/w access
Point the PATH of the TimeMachie folder to .timmachine
Then run this on your Mac
loclahost:~ you$ sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://[your backup user]@[your qnap]/TimeMachine

I know this is not how it should work but this worked for me. You can set QUTOA for your backup user to keep the TimeMachine limited.

Hope this helps until we find a fix for this ....

One other thing ...

I seem to be missing this file on my QNAP filesystem. /etc/config/timemachine.conf can anyone post?
----------------------
QNAP TS469L v4.0.7 0410
Maarten
Starting out

Post by Maarten »

gleep52 wrote:
bill_ts209II wrote:I am using TS209 Pro II. I follow below approach and it works.
Well this was BY FAR the easier solution... crazy! Thanks Bill! Works great now!
So just to confirm, you guys do have backups working from a Mac running 10.9.x to a TS-209?

I got it to start a first pass, but it got interrupted and now I can't get it to mount the backup share successfully anymore. Even when I mount it by hand, and try to browse into it (from the Mac) using the command line, there's nothing there. (Whereas if I ssh to the qnap, there's stuff in /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine.) In the Mac Console app, I see connection errors... but have no idea what to do about them.

E.g.:

30/09/2014 17:45:05.000 kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Primary Reconnect failed 22 on /Volumes/TMBackup
30/09/2014 17:45:05.000 kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: trying Secondary Reconnect on /Volumes/TMBackup
CrashTestOz
New here

Post by CrashTestOz »

I managed to get QNAP support to help me with my problem. The issue in my case was that the built-in TimeMachine user was corrupt. As far as I could tell QNAP Suport removed and then added the TimeMachine user via ssh command line.
----------------------
QNAP TS469L v4.0.7 0410
Maarten
Starting out

Post by Maarten »

Maarten wrote: So just to confirm, you guys do have backups working from a Mac running 10.9.x to a TS-209?

I got it to start a first pass, but it got interrupted and now I can't get it to mount the backup share successfully anymore.
Somehow this started to work again for me. Wish I knew what I did exactly...

But end-result: TimeMachine works again from my 10.9.x Mac to my TS-209 with 3.3.2 firmware.
jozwikjp
Starting out

Post by jozwikjp »

I don't know if this is related by I tried with a password other then the qnap admin password and it worked.
FlyBabe
First post

Post by FlyBabe »

I have problems with backuping to TimeMachine. I´m trying to use the commands listed above, in terminal, but I only get so far as to getting the message to type in my password. Then everything stops and I cannot type anything. The only button which works is enter. I therefore cannot type in my admin password... Can anyone help me?
occasl
Starting out

Post by occasl »

I was able to get it working again by simply remounting the NAS Drive from Finder. Steps:

1. Open Finder and press CTRL-K to add afp://NASNAME/TMBackup (NASNAME should be your NAS device name in DNS or simply use 192.168 IP)
2. Enter name and password from QNAP that you've defined in the TimeMachine Backup server App (Name should likely be TimeMachine as that can't be changed)
3. When prompted, also click the checkbox to remember in your keychain so you don't need to remember it the next time
4. Go back into TimeMachine app and select the newly mounted disk. It may say it needs to create a new back-up after verifying the previous one you had. If so, let it do that, and presto, you're all set!

Return to “Backup & Restore”