Qsync Folder

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bartmandude
Starting out

Qsync Folder

Post by bartmandude »

When I drag a file or folder to the Qsync folder, is it being physically copied or is it some kind of link/shortcut to the original?
Thanks
bartmandude
Starting out

Re: Qsync Folder

Post by bartmandude »

To answer my own question, it appears to duplicate the original file.

Am I the only one who has an issue with duplicating files and potential storage issues?

SugarSync, for instance, lets you simply point to an existing folder. I had hoped Qsync would allow this when I saw the option for "Selective Synchronization" but that only produces a list of the files & folders already in the Qsync folder
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

bartmandude wrote:To answer my own question, it appears to duplicate the original file.

Am I the only one who has an issue with duplicating files and potential storage issues?

SugarSync, for instance, lets you simply point to an existing folder. I had hoped Qsync would allow this when I saw the option for "Selective Synchronization" but that only produces a list of the files & folders already in the Qsync folder
Based on the design of the feature, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The goal of the application is to duplicate files between your PC and your NAS. Nothing more - Nothing less.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
bartmandude
Starting out

Post by bartmandude »

I guess Patrick

But if you already have a folder structure that you love and have used for years, it's a drag (figuratively & literally) to have to move everything into another folder. And if I decide one day to use another tool, like Google Drive, then I have to drag everything to that folder instead.

I guess a catchall folder is easier to program or maintain for Qsync, Google Drive et al. SugarSync rules in this case.

Happy Canada Day!

Return to “Backup & Restore”