Time Machine backup not working with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion DP4

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Q
Experience counts

Re: Time Machine backup not working with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Post by Q »

open your eyes please... the answer is right above yours (by schumaku)!

and use the search function, it has been posted already about a zillion times.

the solution is to have a few weeks patience until the update is available. or even simpler: don't update to lion yet.
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
ton123
Know my way around

Post by ton123 »

"the solution is to have a few weeks patience until the update is available. or even simpler: don't update to lion yet."

Sorry but a "not too smart answer" similar to saying "don't buy Qnap". If no one upgraded we would still be using system 7. Remember Qnap is the one that sells it as "Mac compatible" and they have had enough time to do so. They should have enlisted in the developer program.

Also don't forget that there are unnumbered users around that do not visit these forums and just upgrade and then find out they have all kinds of problems.
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

oh please... i just wrote down the FACTS - which i can't change. but sure, go ahead and hang the messsenger...

waiting a few weeks won't kill anybody.

nuff said about this constantly repeating topic, it goes in circles. so be happy, you won't see a further post by me about it.
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
StickyC
Starting out

Post by StickyC »

Q wrote:oh please... i just wrote down the FACTS - which i can't change. but sure, go ahead and hang the messsenger...

waiting a few weeks won't kill anybody.
I think things are about to get ugly regarding this as most folks won't know the two are incompatible in advance.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

StickyC wrote:I think things are about to get ugly regarding this as most folks won't know the two are incompatible in advance.
Because of Apple marketing makes ignorand and blind :shock: When the Steve's disciples wold set the same atttention to their most essential good in computing - which is undoubted thier valuable data - they would have raised some attention on their networking infrastucture, AFP, and TImeMachine data storage before updating.

This is othing different from what we had to remind the people who complained about the loss of thier data on the NAS after they updated their bread-and-butter computers used for everyday business and work computers to pre-release Lion builds.

Don't worry: The same will happen again with Wwindows 8 again, with OS X+1 again, and again, and again, and again, ....
bluevoice
Getting the hang of things

Post by bluevoice »

schumaku wrote:Because of Apple marketing makes ignorand and blind When the Steve's disciples wold set the same atttention to their most essential good in computing - which is undoubted thier valuable data - they would have raised some attention on their networking infrastucture, AFP, and TimeMachine data storage before updating.
So we (Steve's disciples) did! I started this thread in time, when Lion was still in Developer Preview state just to make sure Qnap would be aware that they must change things in time in order to be Lion-proof.

Lion DP was available for a couple of months now, so developers and NAS makers that advertise Time Machine as a selling point could adapt their architecture. But hey, why not actually use this time when you could just await the release and blame the customers for updating too fast and asking not to update untill you QNAP gets their things sorted out?

In my opinion it is Qnap who new about the problem and dit "nothing" but waited to see the final version of the product despite reports from customers. :(
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

bluevoice wrote:In my opinion it is Qnap who new about the problem and dit "nothing" but waited to see the final version of the product despite reports from customers.
This is just the part you want to see - carefully reread what I wrote about the NetAFP poor information politics, their great timing, forcing a few NAS makers supporting of funding thier Open Source work.

Actually, http://www.netafp.com/ is down - "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."- I would not wonder if some unhapopy Open Source Geeks knocked on thier server's doors - and the release of 2.2-p6 on GIT this morning was just the answer.
bluevoice
Getting the hang of things

Post by bluevoice »

schumaku wrote:
bluevoice wrote:In my opinion it is Qnap who new about the problem and dit "nothing" but waited to see the final version of the product despite reports from customers.
This is just the part you want to see - carefully reread what I wrote about the NetAFP poor information politics, their great timing, forcing a few NAS makers supporting of funding thier Open Source work.

Actually, http://www.netafp.com/ is down - "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."- I would not wonder if some unhapopy Open Source Geeks knocked on thier server's doors - and the release of 2.2-p6 on GIT this morning was just the answer.
I do understand all aspects of the NetAFP policy and the bad timing, but I still feel that should QNAP have started 3 month ago to investigate and find a solution for this problem, it would have been 3 month ahead in finding a solution and maybe more important 3 month ahead of their competition. Now I only hear saying "we and other NAS manufacturers are in the same boat".
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

the solution is available since only about one month. at that point basically no nas manufacturer (besides one) did pay anything for netatalk. as you can imagine that the decision to pay or not has to be made by the management of a company, the developers just have to wait until that's done. and if you know some managements, then you know also that this often needs a lot of discussion and time ;) that shall be no excuse, and i don't work at qnap, but to me that's understandable.

of course i also understand that many users don't really care about the reasons for the delay. however, as qnap promised the solution soon (i quote: "The Time Machine backup for Mac OS X Lion 10.7 will be ready on the official firmware v3.5.0") it seems they did pay in the meantime. the only thing they need to do now (or maybe already did) is to integrate netatalk 2.2 final, that should be no big issue. but every firmware release needs a lot of QA work and so also time.

sure it's a bit late, but i assume we maybe see the final 3.5.0 within the next 2-3 weeks. imho that's an acceptable time frame. for sure qnap will then still be one of the first nas manufacturers which offers lion time machine compatibility! for now it's just synology afaik. even netgear - which was the only one who already paid to netatalk since long time - doesn't have the solution ready yet! (as i read somewhere in the forum, didn't double check it).

however i still hope qnap will release a second public beta of 3.5.0 ASAP before the final release, to ease the life of all lion users!

i did update to lion today as well (1 million users did to that already just on the release day, apple's marketing is obviously working great). however my macbook pro is only half-productive, so it doesn't matter if i don't have a time machine for the next few weeks. if you have a productive computer which you need to be available every day at full functionality, you should know that it's necessary to check if everything is compatible. everything else is just naive. for example also the globalsan iscsi initiator is not working on lion yet. it's a normal task at every company - not one would deploy a big update to their computers on the first day and even later not without checking on a non-productive computer first.
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
AlexKe
Experience counts

Post by AlexKe »

Hi Folks,

TimeMachine Backup for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (official netatalk 2.2 required) will be ready on next 3.5.0 version.
//Support Resource//
Online User Manual: http://docs.qnap.com
Tech Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4574
Download Center: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=848
chf
First post

Post by chf »

Hi QNAPAlex,

Will the firmware of the TS109ii also be updated?

This one is still at 3.3.0 ...

/Charles
tim3xh
Starting out

Post by tim3xh »

QNAPAlex wrote:Hi Folks,

TimeMachine Backup for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (official netatalk 2.2 required) will be ready on next 3.5.0 version.
Can we get an idea of how long this will be until the next version?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

There is a rumor of "starting from 9 August - if PQA things go well" around.
Yodalogger
Starting out

Post by Yodalogger »

Will the 3.5.0 firmware update also allow Airport Extreme users to update to the most recent firmware for that router? I seem to remember the issue was something to do with netatalk... full disclosure I know almost nothing about what I am trying to talk about.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I'm buffed Apple users are always under te impression Apple stuff is always right, and all the rest is wrong... :shock:
Yodalogger wrote:Will the 3.5.0 firmware update also allow Airport Extreme users to update to the most recent firmware for that router?
It's not the NAS having an issue - there are some massive performance issues with the Airport Extreme when using certain firmware. Check with Apple support. This is not a QNAP issue at all.

Return to “Backup & Restore”