Backup not including .Qsync folders

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
johanahlrik
New here

Backup not including .Qsync folders

Post by johanahlrik »

Hi,
I make a NAS-NAS backup on the homes-folder that amongst other includes the users qsync folders. All other files and folders are copied but not the .Qsync.
Does anyone have a sollution for this? Or why its not copied?

/Johan
pwilson
Guru

Re: Backup not including .Qsync folders

Post by pwilson »

johanahlrik wrote:Hi,
I make a NAS-NAS backup on the homes-folder that amongst other includes the users qsync folders. All other files and folders are copied but not the .Qsync.

/Johan
By design:

Code: Select all

grep 'veto files' /etc/config/smb.conf
veto files = /.AppleDB/.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/:2eDS_Store/Network Trash Folder/Temporary Items/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.@__thumb/.@__desc/:2e*/.@__qini/.Qsync/.upload_cache/.qsync/.qsync_sn/
delete veto files = yes

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
johanahlrik
New here

Post by johanahlrik »

Thanks, problem solved.
As i looked into this and fiddled with sambas config. I discovered that the files probably was copied and i didnt see it because file station on my recieving NAS didnt show hidden files and folders.

Anyway, if youre going to edit the smb.conf i discovered that it is generated by smb at startup so if you change it smb just Changes it back. To change the 'veto files' you need to edit /etc/default_config/veto_file.conf and then restart samba "/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart".

After the restart i could see the qsync folder in backupmanager.
/Johan
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

johanahlrik wrote:Thanks, problem solved.
As i looked into this and fiddled with sambas config. I discovered that the files probably was copied and i didnt see it because file station on my recieving NAS didnt show hidden files and folders.

Anyway, if youre going to edit the smb.conf i discovered that it is generated by smb at startup so if you change it smb just Changes it back. To change the 'veto files' you need to edit /etc/default_config/veto_file.conf and then restart samba "/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart".

After the restart i could see the qsync folder in backupmanager.
/Johan
Lets hope there are no nasty side-effects from this unsupported change. :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
atapqi
Getting the hang of things

Post by atapqi »

pwilson wrote:
johanahlrik wrote:Hi,

/Johan
By design:

Code: Select all

grep 'veto files' /etc/config/smb.conf
veto files = /.AppleDB/.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/:2eDS_Store/Network Trash Folder/Temporary Items/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.@__thumb/.@__desc/:2e*/.@__qini/.Qsync/.upload_cache/.qsync/.qsync_sn/
delete veto files = yes
Hi Patrick,

Appreciate that this thread was opened sometime back, however I would appreciate further clarification.

I am hoping that you can help to clarify the understanding around the feature that all the Qsync folders of users are not available for Backup Station source folder selection "by design"; does that mean that user data Qsync-ed from their workstations (Macs, PCs and notebooks) to the NAS (say NAS-1) are not selectable for backup from NAS-1 to NAS-2 or to other external USB drives. So if users were to lose their workstations and NAS-1 is destroyed in a fire, data that had been managed by Qsync services of users on NAS-1 will be loss (if they have excluded or not replicated elsewhere). Is the understand of this scenario correct?
TS-220: QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141101. 2 x 4TB ST NAS 3.5 Drives RAID 1 configuration.
Clients:
[list]Apple MacBook Pro (Intel), MacBook Air (Intel)
Apple iPad2, iPad mini, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6[/list]
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

When replicating (using RRTR) the homes or some selected homes/user1 homes/user2 ... folders, all the hidden folders will be synced, including the (hidden, for good reasons...) .Qsync folder.

Strange backup concept to pick only the .Qsync folder(s) form the user home shares in my opinion.
atapqi

Post by atapqi »

schumaku wrote:When replicating (using RRTR) the homes or some selected homes/user1 homes/user2 ... folders, all the hidden folders will be synced, including the (hidden, for good reasons...) .Qsync folder.

Strange backup concept to pick only the .Qsync folder(s) form the user home shares in my opinion.
Thanks for pointers and tip. ".Qsync" folder is indeed hidden and contents are synced across during backup. This is also the case for backup to external USB drives which employs qsync process (I noticed) and not the conventional cp process (unless you specifically instruct to, using the USB One Touch Copy feature).

Cheers!
TS-220: QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141101. 2 x 4TB ST NAS 3.5 Drives RAID 1 configuration.
Clients:
warmer
New here

Post by warmer »

Hey,
Firstl I want to say hello to everyone, because it's my first post on this forum.
According to topic, if I do a NAS backup using NAS deafult tools ( Backup manager) it will also backup my .Qsync folders? Because in explorer I can't see any files in .Qsync.

I'm asking because I need a solution for my scenario: I have a folder with tehcnical drawings. This folder is synchronized with Qsync. Everything works fine, but I have to make backup of this folder. So do I have to make backup of this folder from on of local PC, or I can just backup NAS to a pendrive/external HDD?
atapqi

Post by atapqi »

warmer wrote:Hey,
Firstl I want to say hello to everyone, because it's my first post on this forum.
According to topic, if I do a NAS backup using NAS deafult tools ( Backup manager) it will also backup my .Qsync folders? Because in explorer I can't see any files in .Qsync.

I'm asking because I need a solution for my scenario: I have a folder with tehcnical drawings. This folder is synchronized with Qsync. Everything works fine, but I have to make backup of this folder. So do I have to make backup of this folder from on of local PC, or I can just backup NAS to a pendrive/external HDD?
Hi warmer,

Select "Show hidden files" in the File Station settings. The .Qsync folder within "home" folder will show up in the backups.

Cheers!
Clients:
warmer
New here

Post by warmer »

So to be 100% sure, if I make backup of my NAS witch contains .Qsync folder everything will be in this backup?
atapqi

Post by atapqi »

Also wanna quickly add that it'll easier check it using "admin" user, otherwise, a non-admin user will need shared folder permission in order to view or access the contents of the external drive volume mounted to the NAS.
Clients:
atapqi

Post by atapqi »

No need to take my word for it, check it out yourself. Cheers!
Clients:
warmer
New here

Post by warmer »

It works! Thank you very much guys :)

EDIT:
What could gone wrong if I get a warning that "nat all folders/files and their attributies are copied"? I checked backup folder and it looks that every file had beed copied.
atapqi

Post by atapqi »

warmer wrote:It works! Thank you very much guys :)

EDIT:
What could gone wrong if I get a warning that "nat all folders/files and their attributies are copied"? I checked backup folder and it looks that every file had beed copied.
Have not encountered this warning, possibly some objects being backed up (assuming you are using the qsync process) are being updated by other PC applications. Difficult to guess from your message. Perhaps appeal to more experienced members to share more information or tips with you.
Clients:

Return to “Backup & Restore”