File Manager, File Station & Remote replication

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Frode
Getting the hang of things

File Manager, File Station & Remote replication

Post by Frode »

Two problems that I would like your views on:

I have two nas boxes, an old one for back-up (in a separate building) and a new one for general use. TS-209 with 2x2TB individual, and TS-670 with 4x4TB raid6, all enterprise drives. I use the "built in" Remote Replication feature for nightly back up of data. Now, after just setting up the new 670 box, I had to copy all the data over from the old to the new. After checking file-sizes and folder/share-sizes, I find a few discrepancies which I would like some comments on. These were discovered after the Remote Replication process didn't want to stop, after churning over nothing for days.

1 Folder size:
The File Station in the 4.1.1 firmware cannot count. All folders larger than 100 GB are reported too small.
The same set of data, reported by the old 209's File Manager and by Win7 to be 225 GB, is reported as 157 GB by the ts670's File Station. That is: The 209 has copied the dataset to the 670, and their individual file managers reports the size differently, while the windows pc, connected to both boxes, reports the size to be equal.

Another folder is reported by the 209 to be 177 GB, by the 670 to be 104 GB, and windows reports both to be 171 GB.
Other folders of over 200 GB show similar discrepancies.

To confuse the matter further, the Share sizes, as reported in the Privilege Settings - Shares, show quite the opposite difference, where the 209 seems to have problems counting both number of files and amount of data. That's probably of little interest here.

2 Remote replication:
When replicating folders over 100 GB from the 209 to the 670-box, the replication job never stops, even though all the data has been copied. This has never been a problem while copying data between ts-239 and ts-209, both ways, for years now. On this issue I haven't done a thorough research, but it seems to be a problem when copying exactly the same folders that the 670 File Station reports too small.
Edit: After trying out the remote replication a bit more, it seems that it always stops on folders larger than 100 GB.

Any insight? Is it a bug / where ?

Specs:
TS-209 Pro
3.3.2 Build 0918T (latest except for the Bash fix)
WDC WD2002FYPS - single disk
WDC WD20EARS - single disk

TS-670 Pro
4.1.1 build 20141003
4x Seagate ST4000NM0033 - raid6
Last edited by Frode on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frode in Oslo. Ex wan/lan designer - CIT. Qnap boxes: TVS-872xt, TS-253 Pro
Frode

Re: File Manager, File Station & Remote replication

Post by Frode »

Has no-one else experienced this?
Frode

Post by Frode »

Update:
The problem with File Station's counting ability (above 100 GB) is reported to, and acknowledged by Qnap. Fix will come in the next FW relaease. We'll see if that also solves the problem of never-ending replication of such folders as well.
Frode

Post by Frode »

FW 4.1.1 build 1101 is installed, but the problem with wrong folder sizes prevail. Can anyone else see this problem?

The problem of "never ending replication" (se above) seems to be fixed though, a bit early to say after only a few days. And this also did affect replication locally within the 670 nas.

Edit (2014-11-19):
Update:
Jsut got a message from qNap that the fix for the problem with the File Station's counting abilities is not included in this update (4.1.1 build 1101).
Frode

Post by Frode »

Update:
After upgrading to FW 4.1.3, the replications run smoothly.

The folder size issue seems to be only the hidden ".@__thumb" folders, which I got from the old backup-nas, ts-209, when restoring backups. The confusion stems from that those large thumbs folders are visible to some tools, and hidden for some; and therefore the containing folders/shares are reported with different sizes according to which tool you use. So, I have about a TB of unused, unwanted, useless thumbs.

Return to “Backup & Restore”