backup data pull mac

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
studiostudio
First post

backup data pull mac

Post by studiostudio »

As i understand it so far a backup data pull from a remote Mac is available over SSH/rsync. Actually i am not an administrator, but an end user, and i don't have the time to learn how to set up SSH/rsync.

My question - is there anything new in the QTS gui to help me set up pulls from different data sources (Macs) without having someone setting up SSH and writing scripts? TM is not an option as the NAS is not only backup but also file server. I have to decide for a new buy, so far a Netgear ReadyNas is doing the work but getting too small.
pwilson
Guru

Re: backup data pull mac

Post by pwilson »

studiostudio wrote:As i understand it so far a backup data pull from a remote Mac is available over SSH/rsync. Actually i am not an administrator, but an end user, and i don't have the time to learn how to set up SSH/rsync.

So what is the point of even asking?
studiostudio wrote:My question - is there anything new in the QTS gui to help me set up pulls from different data sources (Macs) without having someone setting up SSH and writing scripts? TM is not an option as the NAS is not only backup but also file server. I have to decide for a new buy, so far a Netgear ReadyNas is doing the work but getting too small.
Your Mac's can "push" Backups to the NAS without scripting. However for the NAS to "pull" Backups, you would need to write scripts. It is possible to use RSync without SSH, but doing this for "remote" Mac's is not a good idea, as you would need to "expose" the remote Mac's SMB Filesharing to the Internet, which is never a good idea. Period.

BTW it takes 2 seconds to configure SSH on the NAS, and even this is unnecessary, as SSH is already enabled by "default". SSH is already present on both the NAS and on your Mac's, so I don't understand your reluctance to play with it. (Microsoft Windows is the only OS I am aware of that doesn't include SSH in the Operating System).

If you can spare 90 seconds of your time, you might find it helpful to review:
[youtube=1bExAegt5ec]Connect to remote Linux Server via SSH from Apple Mac OS X [HD][How to][/youtube]

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Backup & Restore”