Binding to eth2

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
Bijiont
Starting out

Binding to eth2

Post by Bijiont »

Looking for some assistance on configuring my NAS with Download Station.

What I am trying to accomplish is to have Download Station talk only on eth2. I am also trying at the same time to have the OpenVPN connection be live on eth2 at all times.

I have already turned on service binding for eth2 to allow the NAS Web Management Interface (Includes Download Station) however that is about all the farther I have got.

While I know download station supports SOCKS5 local to the application I would rather just have the interface running OpenVPN.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
schumaku
Guru

Re: Binding to eth2

Post by schumaku »

There is much more than binding ... routing is the problem: For BitTorrent, you need to reach virtually any IP addess out there.
Bijiont
Starting out

Post by Bijiont »

schumaku wrote:There is much more than binding ... routing is the problem: For BitTorrent, you need to reach virtually any IP addess out there.
Yeah, not sure you understood what I was going for. Thanks for the reply but I was able to get everything configured after locating the correct config files.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Bijiont wrote:Yeah, not sure you understood what I was going for.
Crystal ball was not available.
Bijiont wrote:I was able to get everything configured after locating the correct config files.
The idea of a user forum is nost just asking - but also sharing ideas and solutions - not making secrets. Otherwise, a moderator or forum admin can remove this thread as there is zero added value.
Bijiont
Starting out

Post by Bijiont »

schumaku wrote:
Bijiont wrote:Yeah, not sure you understood what I was going for.
Crystal ball was not available.
Bijiont wrote:I was able to get everything configured after locating the correct config files.
The idea of a user forum is nost just asking - but also sharing ideas and solutions - not making secrets. Otherwise, a moderator or forum admin can remove this thread as there is zero added value.
Not making secrets at all, however to organize what I did in order to give back to the community will take some time as you stated even yourself "There is much more than binding".

Rather than give incorrect steps or information I am going over it all again to organize it all.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hero - thank you!
houdini1er
Starting out

Post by houdini1er »

Hi all,

I am very interested in binding the download station to eth2 since I am going to get a TOR router (anonabox)
Like this i could use eth1 for sharing on my network and eth2 trought TOR router to download torrent.
But in the Qnap interface I do not see anything about the download station, if anobody else got an idea.
QNAP 269 PRO 2X SATA WD 2 To RAID
3 Go RAM
Backup en Rsync : D-Link DNS-320L
Firmware : 4.1.3 (2015/02/17)
Bijiont
Starting out

Post by Bijiont »

I haven't been able to update with my information due to work (60+ hours and a family).

You won't find the option in the webgui the short answer is you have to do this in the config itself. I am hoping to find time this week to get some instructions posted.
jhanson999
Starting out

Post by jhanson999 »

Bijiont wrote:
schumaku wrote:There is much more than binding ... routing is the problem: For BitTorrent, you need to reach virtually any IP addess out there.
Yeah, not sure you understood what I was going for. Thanks for the reply but I was able to get everything configured after locating the correct config files.
I'm hoping you can help clue me in to what config files to look at please. I'm hoping to do this with torrent traffic, and maybe bind on port or app within the QNAP. I have a dual wan router and can make torrent traffic go out one vdsl line and everything else, like plex, go out the other.
jhanson999
Starting out

Post by jhanson999 »

Bijiont wrote:
I'm hoping you can help clue me in to what config files to look at please. I'm hoping to do this with torrent traffic, and maybe bind on port or app within the QNAP. I have a dual wan router and can make torrent traffic go out one vdsl line and everything else, like plex, go out the other.
Phifer
Getting the hang of things

Post by Phifer »

With minimal knowledge on your setup I believe I know what you wanted to do, but I don't know about how to do it myself. I am running 2 routers at my house. I have a cable going from each ethernet port to different routers.

Router A is plugged into Ethernet 2 and Router B is in Ethernet 1.

I am using Ethernet 2 as my default gateway. This ensures that all my traffic proceeds through Router A which has been flashed with DD-WRT and has a constant secure VPN connection. I have tested this and can verify using

Code: Select all

curl ipecho.net/plain; echo
It then shows the external IP address that the world sees compared to the public IP address that is seen from my PC.

Ethernet 2 is then connected to the rest of my home network and can allow my other devices to access the NAS and services that are running.

What I do not know how to do is bind individual applications like Plex to Ethernet 1 so that my library can be accessed outside my home network.
TS-651 / (1) 8gb stick crucial ram / (2) 3tb WD red hard drives (Raid1) / (4) 10tb HGST Deskstar NAS 7200 rpm (Raid5) / FW QTS 4.2.5 / OSX Operating system
One Ethernet port connected to my private network
cal3thousand
New here

Post by cal3thousand »

Phifer wrote:With minimal knowledge on your setup I believe I know what you wanted to do, but I don't know about how to do it myself. I am running 2 routers at my house. I have a cable going from each ethernet port to different routers.

Router A is plugged into Ethernet 2 and Router B is in Ethernet 1.

I am using Ethernet 2 as my default gateway. This ensures that all my traffic proceeds through Router A which has been flashed with DD-WRT and has a constant secure VPN connection. I have tested this and can verify using

Code: Select all

curl ipecho.net/plain; echo
It then shows the external IP address that the world sees compared to the public IP address that is seen from my PC.

Ethernet 2 is then connected to the rest of my home network and can allow my other devices to access the NAS and services that are running.

What I do not know how to do is bind individual applications like Plex to Ethernet 1 so that my library can be accessed outside my home network.

I found this thread searching for answers to the same question. Currently, I have NIC #1 on my DD-WRT VPN router and NIC #2 on my faster stock AC router. This works fine for BT, but faster downloading is hindered as my default gateway is the VPN connection. So I went searching for a way to send only BT traffic through NIC #1 and found this.

My only suggestion (not much of one, at that) for a workaround is to put Plex on another computer. I know that this is not feasible nor desirable for everyone, so feel free to disregard. But I found that Plex on my x86 TS-251, was having trouble with transcoding at times. Heck, even my Core 2 Quad E8700 with 8 GB has some issues with high bit-rate content.
Phifer
Getting the hang of things

Post by Phifer »

I understand your thoughts on plex being on a dedicated machine, but I primarily use my NAS for the space and plex. Since getting it I have started doing other things, but it's primary purpose is a media server.

To get around the trans-coding issue most all my devices inside my home are setup for direct streaming. I have gigabit everywhere and all my devices are hard wired. That was my only reason for shelling out the extra cash for the Roku 3 was the Ethernet port.
TS-651 / (1) 8gb stick crucial ram / (2) 3tb WD red hard drives (Raid1) / (4) 10tb HGST Deskstar NAS 7200 rpm (Raid5) / FW QTS 4.2.5 / OSX Operating system
One Ethernet port connected to my private network
RobbieWilkes
Starting out

Post by RobbieWilkes »

Add me to the the list of those that are in need of this knowledge as well. Just got my TS-451, and am working my way through the configuration. Utilizing 2 routers, and want to bind Download Manager to only use NIC 1. To me, this should be part of the basic config for each of the applications, so I'm kind of shocked that I haven't found an easy way to do it yet. Kind of glad to see I'm not the only one.

Any help from those that have already figured this out would be greatly appreciated.
RobbieWilkes
Starting out

Post by RobbieWilkes »

Okay, I may have found it, at least on the TS-451. I located the "Service Binding" tab under System Settings \ Network and enabled it.

I then noted that the "info" widget for the NAS Web Management Interface indicated that it included File Station, Download Station and Surveillance Station.

I unchecked the correlating Ethernet 2 box, and hit apply... which, because I was connected to the NAS's web interface via that router, then disconnected me. :-) I reconnected using the other IP, and was back in.

I also did the same thing for FTP.

Now, I'm honestly don't know if that's going to do the trick, or if I've only denied access to those particular management services via one route, and the download / upload traffic is still utilizing the other.

Update: Nope... didn't do the trick. Appears to have ONLY affected the management services, and NOT the actual download traffic.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”