Download station directories

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
Jester1969
Starting out

Download station directories

Post by Jester1969 »

Hi All,

I have set the directories to put in my 'In Progress' downloads and my completed downloads but the completed ones are not moved to the correct directory.
They just remain inthe In Progress directory.
Download Settings.jpg
Any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Vincent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Download station directories

Post by schumaku »

Hi Vincent,

Afraid, this was explained many times: BItTorent is not just downloading - a job is not finished before the seed- or sharing rate is reached (150% or 1.5 by default if I?m not wrong) - this is what keeps the BitTorrent P2P sharing up and running, not just Iwanttodownload.

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. A moderator is kindly asked to move this thread to the Download Station subforum please.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Explaining it repetatively, doesn't make it work any better. It would make a lot more sense if it "hardlinked" the file to the "completed" directory as soon as the download was complete, and then deleted the original file after the "seeding" was complete.

This would consume no extra space, (because of using "hardlinks" instead of "copying"), but would require that the "download" and "complete" directories are on the same Volume.

I've never understood QNAP's logic in how they programmed this. This is completely unintuitive/lame as designed.
Last edited by christian on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fullquote deleted.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:I've never understood QNAP's logic in how they programmed this. This is completely unintuitive/lame as designed.
Don't agree - this does kind of prohibit that users are renaming, removing parts of the downloaded but still seeded files.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

If they were hardlinked, it wouldn't matter. The NASAdmin could do as he pleases with the "completed" files, including renaming, deleting, etc without affecting the still seeding files.
Last edited by christian on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fullquote deleted.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:If they were hardlinked, it wouldn't matter. The NASAdmin could do as he pleases with the "completed" files, including renaming, deleting, etc without affecting the still seeding files.
Now, as a part of a download, there can be complete folder structures. How do you intend to hard link these?

Shared folders can exist on different volumes (and file systems) - no way to hard link these, too.

Leaving these limitations alone - how should the "finalisation" of the download work, once the NAS does no longer seed? Removing all these files won't be fun as thee are hard links pointing to it. Somehow store all "transactions" done on the hardlinked files (rename, removal, ... - regardless of the access protocol, including AFP, SMB, FTP, NFS, SFTP, shell access, FIle Station, ....) and re-do everything on the effective files?

No idea, why this hardlink idea comes up egain and again.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:
pwilson wrote:If they were hardlinked, it wouldn't matter. The NASAdmin could do as he pleases with the "completed" files, including renaming, deleting, etc without affecting the still seeding files.
Now, as a part of a download, there can be complete folder structures. How do you intend to hard link these?

Shared folders can exist on different volumes (and file systems) - no way to hard link these, too.

Leaving these limitations alone - how should the "finalisation" of the download work, once the NAS does no longer seed? Removing all these files won't be fun as thee are hard links pointing to it. Somehow store all "transactions" done on the hardlinked files (rename, removal, ... - regardless of the access protocol, including AFP, SMB, FTP, NFS, SFTP, shell access, FIle Station, ....) and re-do everything on the effective files?

No idea, why this hardlink idea comes up egain and again.
The NASAdmin can do anything they want with the completed (hardlinked) files, including renaming/deleting/etc. It wouldn't matter if the "seeding" files are deleted, as this merely decrements the count on the file. A file doesn't get deleted until the count=0. As such when the "seeding" file gets "deleted", the "completed" one is left untouched.

I presently do this manually, as it allows me to start viewing my downloaded files immediately after they have downloaded, whether they are completed or not. I do this with both Download Station and Transmission.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I understand hard links pretty well - therefore we perfectly know it s not universally workable solution, so not possible to let the users do what they want.

Last but not least, users don't want to remove most of the downloaded stuff - so you like to keep this GS in the Download foleder or whatever shared folder is defined forever, and keep the hardlinks forever?

What-if Download and the final shared folder is not on the same file system?

What-if the download does contain folders?

One day the NAS owner what's his downloads in the related destination folder - renamed, reduced (only selected files) - however everything is still in place on the temporary Download share...? Want to tell the user to remove the hard links and re-do the same renames, selected file deletions, and move of the data to keep?

Won't work as a solution ...
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:I understand hard links pretty well - therefore we perfectly know it s not universally workable solution, so not possible to let the users do what they want.

Last but not least, users don't want to remove most of the downloaded stuff - so you like to keep this GS in the Download foleder or whatever shared folder is defined forever, and keep the hardlinks forever?

What-if Download and the final shared folder is not on the same file system?
Download station already deletes the "original" files when seeding is completed, so only the "completed" files would be retained permanently. I can't imagine people download things just to delete them, so I fail to understand what your objection is.

I already conceded that the folders need to be on the same Volume for Hardlinks to be possible. As "smart" QNAP owners use RAID, this should work for "most" QNAP owners.
schumaku wrote:What-if the download does contain folders?
You got me on this one. Directories can not be hard-linked.
schumaku wrote:One day the NAS owner what's his downloads in the related destination folder - renamed, reduced (only selected files) - however everything is still in place on the temporary Download share...? Want to tell the user to remove the hard links and re-do the same renames, selected file deletions, and move of the data to keep?
Doesn't Download Station delete the original files when seeding is completed?
schumaku wrote:Won't work as a solution ...
It works here just fine, albeit requiring manual intraventition from me. I simply hardlink the files from the Download directory directly to my Multimedia share as soon as they are downloaded, and I can "view" them immediately thereafter, whether seeding has completed or not.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:Download station already deletes the "original" files when seeding is completed, so only the "completed" files would be retained permanently
Strongly doubt - they are either kept in the Download (work) shared folder, or moved to the after-seeding destination if configured accordingly.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”