PIA proxy and Download Station

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
TheWolff
New here

PIA proxy and Download Station

Post by TheWolff »

Hey folks. New to this whole "Torrenting-with-a-Proxy" thing. After reading a bunch of reviews, I signed up for PIA (http://www.privateinternetaccess.com), but I can't seem to get it working with Download Station on my TS-419P.

I've set it to use SOCKS5 with port 1080 (it defaulted to 8080, but neither worked.)
I've tried both proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com (recommended here http://lifehacker.com/how-to-completely ... it-5863380) and ca.privateinternetaccess.com (the Canadian server, from the PIA website), but neither seems to do much.

I even copied and pasted my user info to ensure I had it right, and tried with authentication both on and off - no dice.

I found a similar post on this forum for BT Guard (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... s5#p456026), but they just said it was working, not how they got it working.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
TheWolff
New here

Re: PIA proxy and Download Station

Post by TheWolff »

I wasn't able to get the proxy working, and no reply here, so I've tried configuring the whole thing with OpenVPN (also supported by PIA), first using the standard settings, then with the workaround here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... vpn+client

Still, neither allows me to connect. My torrents get stuck on "downloading metadata" until I turn the VPN off.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Using the workaround, were you able to confirm connection when asked to do so per the instruction (step 5)? I ask because I was having trouble editing the files (finally used WinSCP). I kept getting a connection fail error.
If it did connect, did you receive any bytes?
mikasand
New here

Post by mikasand »

I also use PIA and it working great.
Use the login id to login to their web page and then you will need to create a separate login id and password to their socks5 server. The one you got when signed up can only be used for VPN.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/p ... e_password

Proxy URL
proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TheWolff wrote:I wasn't able to get the proxy working, and no reply here...
Since you're having issues with a service from a specific supplier, why don't you ask their support and/or their community instead of here, in a forum for totally different products? I would think that there´s likely more experience accumulated with the service in the approriate channels.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tkljr
New here

Post by tkljr »

I think it's reasonable to ask a PIA question here if someone is trying to get QNAP Download Station working with it.

To anyone who has it working, did you just enter the PIA socks5 login/password in the Download Station Settings/BT/Proxy or are there other configuration changes needed? It doesn't seem to work for me with:
Proxy Type: SOCKS5
Host: proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port: 1080
Authentication checked
username/password: pptp/l2tp/socks generated credentials

I tested with "ileak.net", is there a better way to test the connection? I can't connect to "checkmytorrentip.com" to test with that site.

Thanks.....

Thanks
Bijiont
Starting out

Post by Bijiont »

tkljr wrote:I think it's reasonable to ask a PIA question here if someone is trying to get QNAP Download Station working with it.

To anyone who has it working, did you just enter the PIA socks5 login/password in the Download Station Settings/BT/Proxy or are there other configuration changes needed? It doesn't seem to work for me with:
Proxy Type: SOCKS5
Host: proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port: 1080
Authentication checked
username/password: pptp/l2tp/socks generated credentials

I tested with "ileak.net", is there a better way to test the connection? I can't connect to "checkmytorrentip.com" to test with that site.

Thanks.....

Thanks
Yes you can just enter the SOCKS5 information into Download Station, nothing else is needed if you want to go this route.

If you ask PIA they will give you some assistance however they will also state "We do not support QNAP at this time".

I have had mine working that way since day 1. I have also setup my QNAP to use VPN Client and bind an interface for just Download Station, still trying to write up a guide on that while I am working the kinks out. I originally "thought" it was going to be a simply clean my configuration files but yeah. . . that didn't work :roll:
warnesj
New here

Post by warnesj »

I have mine working with PIA. You can't use your actual PIA login account and password in Download Station, the SOCKS proxy account is different. You have to generate that in the PIA Client Control Panel.

What I did to get mine working was:
  1. Log into the PIA Client Support page.
  2. On the Client Control Panel, click on the Generate Username and Password button. (1) on the image below.Image
    The User (2) and Password (3) generated by PIA is what you need.
  3. Edit your Download Station BT Proxy settings using the username (2) and password (3) generated on PIA's Client Support Panel.
    For the Host address use proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080.
And that was it. Something to note is that it took a bit of time for the proxy account to start working for me. So when you generate the account and password on the PIA Client Control Panel, give it some time. I suspect it takes a bit of time for PIA to replicate the account information through their environment.
sonnsterr
Know my way around

Post by sonnsterr »

Is this confirmed to work?
QNAP TS-1677X 1700 RAM 64G
Yippy
New here

Post by Yippy »

Ok, I think I got it to work. But how do I test this within Download Station?
sonnsterr
Know my way around

Post by sonnsterr »

Yippy wrote:Ok, I think I got it to work. But how do I test this within Download Station?

Your pretty much on your own ... I never received any response on my post...
QNAP TS-1677X 1700 RAM 64G
herbie
First post

Post by herbie »

Just like to report this seems to work a treat (using PIA and Socks and QGet as described). Thanks

FYI. you can prove it works on several websites that let you download a magnet link, add to your Download station and then it reports the IP that download station is coming from and its a PIA IP address.
dgghostkilla
New here

Post by dgghostkilla »

i just did this proxy thing but i don't understand how to confirm this is working. can someone please let me know how to confirm
carp969
New here

Post by carp969 »

waeking
Starting out

Post by waeking »

The only problem I see with a socks 5 proxy is that the information is not encrypted unlike using openvpn. Wtih openvpn all information between you and the PIA server is encrypted.
TS-431 3@4TB Raid 5 Firmware 4.2.1 Beta

Return to “Download Station and QGet”