Is Anyone Else Incredibly Disappointed?

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
Viridel
Getting the hang of things

Is Anyone Else Incredibly Disappointed?

Post by Viridel »

I bought this device to be a BT server, and do some backups (although I was handling that fine myself via Acronis). Coming from the Vuze client, Download Manager is for lack of a better word, just AWFUL.
- Completion Moving doesn't work
- There is no ability to auto-call BT files from a designated directory (like Vuze does on my RAMdisk)
- The mandatory Share Ratio (what's wrong with Unlimited?)
- Sharing that doesn't work anyway; keeps saying "Finished" or "Sharing", but in the Inactive category, and there is no upload speed.
- The URL load doesn't work from a member/login site
- Pretty much zero interface features

So now I have a $500 HD enclosure, because the only thing I am willing to do with this is run it as an external drive thru Vuze... Is there ANY reason I shouldn't be putting this on eBay and trying to get back whatever I can for it - remembering that 98% of the reason I got this was to be a BT server???
pwilson
Guru

Re: Is Anyone Else Incredibly Disappointed?

Post by pwilson »

Viridel wrote:I bought this device to be a BT server, and do some backups (although I was handling that fine myself via Acronis). Coming from the Vuze client, Download Manager is for lack of a better word, just AWFUL.
- There is no ability to auto-call BT files from a designated directory (like Vuze does on my RAMdisk)
- Sharing that doesn't work anyway; keeps saying "Finished" or "Sharing", but in the Inactive category, and there is no upload speed.
- The URL load doesn't work from a member/login site
- Pretty much zero interface features

So now I have a $500 HD enclosure, because the only thing I am willing to do with this is run it as an external drive thru Vuze... Is there ANY reason I shouldn't be putting this on eBay and trying to get back whatever I can for it - remembering that 98% of the reason I got this was to be a BT server???
So install RTorrent or Transmission on your NAS instead. I haven't even attempted to use Download Station in years here, but I'm very happy with Transmission.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Viridel wrote:I bought this device to be a BT server, and do some backups (although I was handling that fine myself via Acronis). Coming from the Vuze client, Download Manager is for lack of a better word, just AWFUL.
The above two are mutually exclusive. Move does work after seeding is finished. NOT before. Documented and answered zillion times. Otherwise, there's Transmission, pyload and others for your use.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Viridel
Getting the hang of things

Post by Viridel »

Well, gave rT a quality try, and the file flexibility just isn't what I'm looking for – I have 48Gb of RAM, 36 of which is dedicated for BT downloading (download to the RamDrive, then Move Completed to the Vuze Completed). Since I cannot (seem to) force rT to access drives outside the NAS, it’s just not what I’m looking for. I liked the Auto-Extract, but that was the only superior aspect, and the DL speed was definitely lower (and yes, I did max out the bandwidth).

Couldn't get off the ground with Transmission (I'm not a programmer, and command-line stuff just doesn't work for me)... So now I'm just going to use this as an absurdly powerful HDD enclosure - at least until BT clients catch up with what I'm looking for... It will still be beneficial overall, as I got the dual-Ethernet-port version, and the speed is very impressive. In theory, being able to BT thru one port directly thru the router, and do backups thru both ports (dual-single-drive setup) will give me a quality data thruput. I do appreciate the heads-up, as I didn’t know the add-ons were so diverse (just a pile of stuff I’m not even close to ready for), and will keep an eye open for upgrades (c’mon Vuze!)

Thank you both for your replies.

Sincerely
- V
silas

Post by silas »

Viridel wrote:Since I cannot (seem to) force rT to access drives outside the NAS, it’s just not what I’m looking for.
Exactly.
I didn't design it to make downloads outside the NAS, because it is NAS - centralized storage.
Viridel wrote:...and the DL speed was definitely lower (and yes, I did max out the bandwidth).
:S
I have only ~12MB/s on my 100mbit link.
I'm not the lucky winner having 1gbps downlink, but friend of mine is.
He's using rtorrent-QNAP and he's getting ~110MB/s DL speed.

Return to “Download Station and QGet”