QNAP & TVersity

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
harishv
New here

QNAP & TVersity

Post by harishv »

Hi,

This is my 1st post in this forum and it's related to playback of AVC HD clips (.m2ts 1080i clips from my Sony HDR SR-12 camcorders). I currently have the Buffalo LinkStation Live and have lot of trouble streaming content to my PS3 (even some XviD clips fail). In the last couple of days, I've tried lot of media servers on my laptop and the only one that can successfully stream .m2ts clips to PS3 is TVersity (Twonky also fails).

So, my question is whether TVersity can be installed on QNAP boxes? I know there might be OS (QNAP being Linux and TVersity Windows based) issues, but just wanna check out options.

PS: I really wanna upgrade to QNAP but if I can't stream my home videos, that'll be a bummer.

Thanks
HV
Q
Experience counts

Re: QNAP & TVersity

Post by Q »

hi

as tversity is currently only available for windows, the only way to run it on linux would be to use wine. however this is not easy and even if it would work, it don't think it would run fine. so basically you can forget that.

second problem is that the magic of tversity is done with transcoding which needs a lot of CPU power. TS-509 Pro could probably do it with many videos (but maybe not all). however with the 500 mhz cpu in TS-109/209/409: NO chance.

tversity req.:
Minimum System Requirements

* Pentium III 700 Mhz or better (Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with support for Hyper Threading is recommended)
* 128 MB of memory or more (512 MB recommended)
* 50 MB of disk space (At least 1 GB of free space is recommended for cache area of transcoded media)
* Windows XP / 2000 / 2003 / Vista (only with UAC disabled)
* DirectX 9.0 or higher
* Windows Media Player 9.0 or higher
* For transcoding to WMV (Xbox 360) WMP11 is required (Win2k and Win2K3 users need the Microsoft codecs from the Ace Codec Pack instead)
* Xbox 360 users will need the 2006 Fall upgrade from Microsoft in order to browse videos from their computer via TVersity.
* Audio enabled on the computer running the software
* Macromedia Flash version 7 or higher for the GUI
however there seems to be hope (from their FAQ):
What Operating systems are currently supported?
We are currently releasing Windows versions only. In the future we intend to make releases for MacOS and for Linux. The architecture of the TVersity Media Server was chosen to be mostly platform independent. For some types of functionality we intentionally use platform specific mechanisms so that we can deliver a better user experience on that platform. One example for that is the way we decode media. On Windows we use Direct Show on Linux and other Unix like platforms we intend to use gStreamer or FFMPEG. Please stay tuned as we add support for additonal operating systems.
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
harishv
New here

Post by harishv »

thanks Q, it's good to know that TVersity might come up with a Linux version. But, i dont need any transcoding, PS3 supports .m2ts files, i've verified this by playing the same clip off a USB drive.

Finally, i installed Twonky & this time i could stream, was slow from my laptop though.
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

ok got it, then it'll be no problem as the TS are shipped with twonky included :)
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!

Return to “Media Streaming”