DLNA server set-up XBOX 360

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
cmp_solutions
New here

DLNA server set-up XBOX 360

Post by cmp_solutions »

Hi all,

I am trying to stream movies from my QNAP TS869L, v4.1.1 to my XBOX 360 S. The 360 doesnt see any movies and I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to do this? I have checked other posts and used many ideas but have not figured it out just yet.

Source Details:
- On Qnap, DLNA media Server is enabled with service name: Qnap8Movies, default user is guest.
- The Media Library is enabled, and shows three movies, one of MP$, one of MKV and an AVI for testing. All movies are in shared root.
- Transcoding is not enabled.

Based on my understanding this should do it.... but no joy.

Xbox sees the DLNA server but tells me there are no movies.
I can see and stream videos in Media House and Qvideo (but qvideo does not like guest it seems) on my computer and on my android. I would much prefer Upnp but I dont believe there is an option (without an active server and a cost) to use with xbox? So what am I missing to get Xbox to see the flicks?

Probably not a factor here, but the projector hooked up by DVI is not ACHP compliant, I dont think this is an issue because netflix works fine.

Twonky is secondary but here are twonky issues I have been having:
Oddly I have tried Twonky as well, but I can never see the app at port 9000, always comes up webpage not available? Also it does not show Videos when I access Twonky from MediaHouse on my android (probably because the Qnap DLNA server is doing this?) Perhaps more oddly, or perhaps it makes obvious sense, just not to me, when I turn on the Twonky Application from the Appcenter (as opposed to control panel, applications) it turns off the server in control panel/applications.

Thanks in advance for any answers and I will update if I can get anything to work.
pwilson
Guru

Re: DLNA server set-up XBOX 360

Post by pwilson »

cmp_solutions wrote:Hi all,

I am trying to stream movies from my QNAP TS869L, v4.1.1 to my XBOX 360 S. The 360 doesnt see any movies and I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to do this? I have checked other posts and used many ideas but have not figured it out just yet.

Source Details:
- On Qnap, DLNA media Server is enabled with service name: Qnap8Movies, default user is guest.
- The Media Library is enabled, and shows three movies, one of MP$, one of MKV and an AVI for testing. All movies are in shared root.
- Transcoding is not enabled.

Based on my understanding this should do it.... but no joy.

Xbox sees the DLNA server but tells me there are no movies.
I can see and stream videos in Media House and Qvideo (but qvideo does not like guest it seems) on my computer and on my android. I would much prefer Upnp but I dont believe there is an option (without an active server and a cost) to use with xbox? So what am I missing to get Xbox to see the flicks?

Probably not a factor here, but the projector hooked up by DVI is not ACHP compliant, I dont think this is an issue because netflix works fine.

Twonky is secondary but here are twonky issues I have been having:
Oddly I have tried Twonky as well, but I can never see the app at port 9000, always comes up webpage not available? Also it does not show Videos when I access Twonky from MediaHouse on my android (probably because the Qnap DLNA server is doing this?) Perhaps more oddly, or perhaps it makes obvious sense, just not to me, when I turn on the Twonky Application from the Appcenter (as opposed to control panel, applications) it turns off the server in control panel/applications.

Thanks in advance for any answers and I will update if I can get anything to work.
What does your MediaHouse "Devices" screen look like? (See Forum FAQ: Can I post images?).

Mine looks like this:

Please note that MediaHouse lists all my DLNA Servers, including Twonky Server, QNAP DLNA Server (listed as Windows Media Player Sharing 3.0), and XBMC (on my NAS). The fact that even MediaHouse isn't listing Twonky Server for you, suggests TwonkyServer isn't actually running.

Which version of Twonky Server did you install on your NAS from the QNAP App Center? (The App Center is providing Twonky Server v7.2.80 at the time I wrote this reply)

Have you reviewed Xbox.com article: Play To overview for Xbox 360. Why are you asking Microsoft XBox 360 operational questions in a QNAP NAS Forum? Wouldn't Xbox.com or the XBox Forums be a better place for XBox 360 questions?

Have you considered asking XBox 360 questions in the XBox Forums?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Personally have I use twonky for years and prefer to use the qkpg package rather than the built-in dnla media servers on the qnap.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
cmp_solutions
New here

Post by cmp_solutions »

pwilson wrote: What does your MediaHouse "Devices" screen look like? (See Forum FAQ: Can I post images?).

Please note that MediaHouse lists all my DLNA Servers, including Twonky Server, QNAP DLNA Server (listed as Windows Media Player Sharing 3.0), and XBMC (on my NAS). The fact that even MediaHouse isn't listing Twonky Server for you, suggests TwonkyServer isn't actually running.

Which version of Twonky Server did you install on your NAS from the QNAP App Center? (The App Center is providing Twonky Server v7.2.80 at the time I wrote this reply)

Have you reviewed Xbox.com article: Play To overview for Xbox 360. Why are you asking Microsoft XBox 360 operational questions in a QNAP NAS Forum? Wouldn't Xbox.com or the XBox Forums be a better place for XBox 360 questions?

Have you considered asking XBox 360 questions in the XBox Forums?
Thanks for the response Patrick,

When twonky is on (from Control Panel/Apps/DLNA server or from App Center v7.2.80.0) both DLNA servers show up in MediaHouse and both can see and play the videos, however xbox still cannot. While the mutually exclusive behavior of twonky app versus CP server is odd, I guess we can say that the DLNA functions fine foe Mdia house so there is something particular about the Xbox.

I will check the xbox forums, I started here since I was hoping Id find someone who used both QNAP media Server and XBox as I suspect the issue is a combination of factors as they usually are. Ill also query over in the xbox forum as you suggest. I wonder why would xbox and Media house see things so differently? It looks like Xbox supports Mp4's so one should at least work.... perhaps it is a format issue. I am very close to setting up XBMC on the Nas and moving the NAS to the media room.

In your setup Patric, do you only use Twonky or both servers? If both how do you control the type of content? My Twonky doesnt seem to serve up video, but they both get data from the Media Library.

Update, when I stream an MP4 using the PLayTo functionality you linked to (thanks didnt know that existed) the xbox gives a playback error to an H264 MP4 file so perhaps it is simply a format issue.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cmp_solutions wrote:When twonky is on (from Control Panel/Apps/DLNA server or from App Center v7.2.80.0) both DLNA servers show up in MediaHouse and both can see and play the videos, however xbox still cannot. While the mutually exclusive behavior of twonky app versus CP server is odd, I guess we can say that the DLNA functions fine foe Mdia house so there is something particular about the Xbox.

I will check the xbox forums, I started here since I was hoping Id find someone who used both QNAP media Server and XBox as I suspect the issue is a combination of factors as they usually are. Ill also query over in the xbox forum as you suggest. I wonder why would xbox and Media house see things so differently? It looks like Xbox supports Mp4's so one should at least work.... perhaps it is a format issue. I am very close to setting up XBMC on the Nas and moving the NAS to the media room.

In your setup Patric, do you only use Twonky or both servers? If both how do you control the type of content? My Twonky doesnt seem to serve up video, but they both get data from the Media Library.

Update, when I stream an MP4 using the PLayTo functionality you linked to (thanks didnt know that existed) the xbox gives a playback error to an H264 MP4 file so perhaps it is simply a format issue.
From my Nexus 7 (2012) Tablet:

All three of my DLNA Servers are running at all times on my NAS.

I'm glad thePlay To overview for Xbox 360 article was useful to you. (I have only owned Classic XBoxes (8 of them), so I'm afraid that article came to you via Google, as I know absolutely nothing about any Game console produced in the past 10 years. I'm not a Gamer at all).

The "System Name" of my TS-470 Pro is "NASTY2" in case you hadn't already guessed. :DD (Originally my NAS devices were "DIRTY", "MEAN" and "NASTY", but I've changed a lot of hardware over the years.

While this sounds wasteful, I do it deliberately. My Android devices seem to work best with Twonky Server, while my Laptops seem to work with XBMC better. I keep the QNAP one running because of QMusic. They happily co-exist, so if you have the RAM for it, ( this shouldn't be a problem on a TS-809), why not make your Multimedia accessible from all of your devices. :DD

I only owned my old Classics so I could put XBMC on them. :lol: (Again, I'm not a Gamer).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
cmp_solutions
New here

Post by cmp_solutions »

Toxic17 wrote:Personally have I use twonky for years and prefer to use the qkpg package rather than the built-in dnla media servers on the qnap.
Thanks Simon, I will look into it.
cmp_solutions
New here

Post by cmp_solutions »

pwilson wrote:
All three of my DLNA Servers are running at all times on my NAS.

I'm glad thePlay To overview for Xbox 360 article was useful to you. (I have only owned Classic XBoxes (8 of them), so I'm afraid that article came to you via Google, as I know absolutely nothing about any Game console produced in the past 10 years. I'm not a Gamer at all).

The "System Name" of my TS-470 Pro is "NASTY2" in case you hadn't already guessed. :DD (Originally my NAS devices were "DIRTY", "MEAN" and "NASTY", but I've changed a lot of hardware over the years.

While this sounds wasteful, I do it deliberately. My Android devices seem to work best with Twonky Server, while my Laptops seem to work with XBMC better. I keep the QNAP one running because of QMusic. They happily co-exist, so if you have the RAM for it, ( this shouldn't be a problem on a TS-809), why not make your Multimedia accessible from all of your devices. :DD

I only owned my old Classics so I could put XBMC on them. :lol: (Again, I'm not a Gamer).
Thanks Patrick, though Twonky is still behaving oddly, I have shelved the project for the moment and using Linux Sharing and old trusty folder navigation on my WD live for Media Playback. I have given up ion the xbox as it cannot support common formats. I cant use the QNAP XBMC as it only supports DVI our and my current projector requires Component to achieve 1080i. When I upgrade media components I may come back to this and will revisit your suggestions.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

not sure if this would help, but, I take it you have updated the xbox with the optional media update pack from the Games store? what format of movie is not being recognised?

ps i removed your duplicate post
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
cmp_solutions
New here

Post by cmp_solutions »

Toxic17 wrote:not sure if this would help, but, I take it you have updated the xbox with the optional media update pack from the Games store? what format of movie is not being recognised?

ps i removed your duplicate post
Thanks Simon, I tried that but no change. My movies are an assortment of encodes, mostly MKV with H264 encoding. Its too much effort to change them so I will just get a different player that supports it. I have a WD live but it only supports 720 and wont play Netflix because of ACHP.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I found twonky does 99% of my media if I could across one TV episode/film then I either remux it or convert its format.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

cmp_solutions
New here

Post by cmp_solutions »

I may give Twonky some more time, but its clear xbox is not a very robust player.

Return to “Media Streaming”