QNAP DLNA Pixelatd Playback

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
HDPete
Starting out

QNAP DLNA Pixelatd Playback

Post by HDPete »

Hi

My TS453-Pro 8GB is connected by gigabit ethernet to my switch, through which all other 'clients' are connected. I have recently upgraded the firmware from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2.

Video playback is very pixelated on all clients (Viera TVs, Mac, PC) for all 1080p files of all file types. I also seem to be unable to 'scan' through the video using the fast forward buttons on my Viera TV remote (which I'm sure I could before).

I am certain that it was OK when I first set the QNAP up last week. The only things that have changed are:

1) Firmware Upgrade
2) Install HDStation (2.0.20) and its subcomponents

If I enable Twonky, playback of the same file, on the same device, is perfect. However, I don't like how Twonky seems to not list my files in alphabetic order.

I have removed HDStation and checked that there's no background transcoding happening (this is disabled when I uninstall HDStation and the Codec pack). I have restarted the service and rebooted the QNAP, but the QNAP media

My gut feel is that the firmware upgrade has caused this, but curious to hear your views.

Regards
Pete
emma24xia
Starting out

Re: QNAP DLNA Pixelatd Playback

Post by emma24xia »

Mind if I ask what is the original video you wanna like to play? If Blu-ray, the problem may be related to disc protection and I would prefer to make a digital copy of Blu-ray or DVD and them move to QNAP for streaming or playing.
HDPete
Starting out

Post by HDPete »

All movies (>100) are DVD or BluRay rips with all DRM removed. These have all previously streamed OK from my old NAS using Twonky. They also streamed OK initially on the QNAP DLNA server until the install of HDStation (now removed) and 4.1.2, when they became blocky (suggesting some kind of transcoding is happening). They play perfectly with Twonky on QNAP.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware so that I can prove / dis-prove the firmware suspicion?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

HDPete wrote:However, I don't like how Twonky seems to not list my files in alphabetic order.
I've not tested it yet but Twonky v8.01 does have some improvements in file listings. no doubt if QNAP upgrade to v8 we should see an improvement.

have you tried using any other dlna media player? i notice quite a few other users have similar issues as yourself with the QNAP DNLA player,
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
patentspending
New here

Post by patentspending »

Hi
I have the same issue. Purchased my TS-453 PRO end of last week. Was all working fine with DLNA. Performed firmware upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. All movies are now pixelated.

Did you get any feedback on rolling back the firmware?

Also checked on Twonky and the files display OK with fast forward working again.

Not a good start for me with QNAP. Wondering if I should have gone DS415+. :cry:
HDPete
Starting out

Post by HDPete »

I've opened a ticket with qnap and will report back
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

patentspending wrote:Not a good start for me with QNAP. Wondering if I should have gone DS415+. :cry:
Strange you would compare the TS-453 PRO with an inferior spec'd NAS. if Playback is pixelated now, then roll back to a lower firmware version, then submit a ticket.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi all,
Please also help provide a sample of the videos for our support team to check.
Can you also tell us your TV models and if the TV recently has any firmware update?
patentspending
New here

Post by patentspending »

Ref: request from QNAP Jason

Info as follows:
1. Fri 23 Jan received new TS-453 Pro and configured
2. Tested with numerous MP4, AVI & MKV on Samsung TV's via DLNA without issue.
3. Upgraded from Firmware 4.1.1 (20141101) on 27 Jan 2015 to 4.1.2 (20150126)
4. Pixelated on 2 Samsung TV's (models below)

Samsung TV: ue40es8000. No recent firmware update.
Samsung TV: LE32C650L. No firmware update
Current QNAP Firmware: 4.1.2 (20150126)

Other Observations:
Works with Twonky & Plex
Works fine using identical files when accessing from ReadyNAS DUO via DLNA on the same TV's.
HDPete
Starting out

Post by HDPete »

EXACTLY the same purchase date, configuration and firmware process as me.

My TVs are Panasonic Viera VT-65 and E-600, neither of which have had firmware updates. Twonky also works great for me. Same file works OK when accessed from a Buffalo Terastation with Twonky. The files are OK. It feels to me as if the DLNA server is serving out the lowest possible resolution instead of starting at the top and negotiating down.
HDPete
Starting out

Post by HDPete »

I can confirm that regressing to 4.1.1 Build 20141101 resolves the streaming issues.

a) No more pixelated playback.
b) Ability to scan through the stream is restored.

Regards
Pete
patentspending
New here

Post by patentspending »

Thanks for the update.

The challenge here is whether to roll back the firmware and any other bugfixes. I think on balance I will leave mine as is and continue to use Twonky.

At least we have the root cause.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi all,
thanks for the feedback.
Our engineers have found the root cause and we will provide a fix in the coming weeks via QTS 4.1.3
Serb_B
New here

Post by Serb_B »

I have recently moved from a my book live duo (Western Digital) to TS 453 Pro. and since the firmware upgrade 4.1.2 have been pulling my hair out ever since as I have the same issue (pixelated) also get the error "file may not work properly" then you say ok and 10 minutes into the movie the file bombs out.

Will the firmware update resolve all the above issues? Can you confirm when the next firmware will be available?

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Media Streaming”