Dumb Question - What Is Streaming?

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
anotherusername
Starting out

Dumb Question - What Is Streaming?

Post by anotherusername »

Sorry for the dumb question - but I don't really understand what streaming is.

I've got a NAS and I've got a bunch of ripped DVDs stored on it. When I want to watch a film I open "Finder", navigate to the relevant DVD file on the NAS (ISO image, VOB, DVDMedia) and open it with either VLC or the Mac's DVD player. Is this classed as streaming or would there be some advantage if I used the NAS's Multimedia Station?

Sorry to be thick.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: Dumb Question - What Is Streaming?

Post by kherr4377 »

I use Twonkey to 'stream' my ripped DVD/BD to my TVs. Computers are for computing, TVs are for movies ....
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
anotherusername
Starting out

Understood - if you've got a TV, but I haven't - which is why I watch DVDs on my computer. Does that mean that the NAS's Multimedia Station is only used for streaming to TVs
reinob

Post by reinob »

anotherusername wrote:I've got a NAS and I've got a bunch of ripped DVDs stored on it. When I want to watch a film I open "Finder", navigate to the relevant DVD file on the NAS (ISO image, VOB, DVDMedia) and open it with either VLC or the Mac's DVD player. Is this classed as streaming or would there be some advantage if I used the NAS's Multimedia Station?
It depends. It would be streaming if the video playback started before the whole file is downloaded. It's however not easy to check (perhaps with a big video..).

The thing is: if you use some file-sharing protocol like AFP, NFS or SMB and double-click on a file two things can happen:

(1) the file manager actually downloads the file and passes the local (cached) copy to the program you want to open it with (e.g. "vlc /tmp/cached_copy.mpg")

(2) the file manager tells vlc to open the file directly from the server (e.g. "vlc smb://qnap/path/to/video.mpg").

Whether (1) or (2) happens depends on so many things that no answer can be given.

On the other hand, if you use an explicit streaming protocol (like DLNA), then you're streaming. (but streaming usually involves buffering, which means there's anyway no clear-cut technical difference between streaming and copying).

So no, you're neither being thick nor the question is dumb. There's just no clear answer..
anotherusername
Starting out

Thanks Reinob.

I might have a look at the Media Centre.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

anotherusername wrote:Sorry for the dumb question - but I don't really understand what streaming is.

I've got a NAS and I've got a bunch of ripped DVDs stored on it. When I want to watch a film I open "Finder", navigate to the relevant DVD file on the NAS (ISO image, VOB, DVDMedia) and open it with either VLC or the Mac's DVD player. Is this classed as streaming or would there be some advantage if I used the NAS's Multimedia Station?

Sorry to be thick.
Have you considered installing XBMC on your PC and/or Mac? It can open ISO's directly via SMB from both OS choices. (I have XBMC on all my Linux, Android, and Windows devices here).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
anotherusername
Starting out

Hi Patrick. Thanks for the info. I had a quick look at XMBC and it doesn't seem to do anything for me that VLC doesn't.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

anotherusername wrote:Hi Patrick. Thanks for the info. I had a quick look at XMBC and it doesn't seem to do anything for me that VLC doesn't.
It does a lot more than VLC here. Anyway, it's your environment, so the choice is yours to make.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
anotherusername
Starting out

Patrick - I'm not being awkward - I simply don't understand and would appreciate some help. I find this field very, very confusing and I'm struggling to find any useful help on the web.

I play movies on my Mac using VLC or the Mac's DVD player. The movies are stored as DVDMedia, ISO, VOB and a few MP4s. What might XMBC give me that VLC doesn't?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Most applications use strong terms in my opinion.

Streaming is open a data stream from a server to a client, and immediate start playback. Some transport protocols are dedicated to streaming, others can be used for data transfer / upload / download but also for "endless" streaming.

Alternate approach is download a complete file, and start playback when the process has completed.
reinob

Post by reinob »

anotherusername wrote:I play movies on my Mac using VLC or the Mac's DVD player. The movies are stored as DVDMedia, ISO, VOB and a few MP4s. What might XMBC give me that VLC doesn't?
VLC will just play the one video you tell it to play.

With XBMC you get a whole front-end where you can browse and play your stuff. So it sorta replaces the need for both a file explorer (or whatever you call it on the Mac, finder I think) and a video player. Let's say it's a more "integrated experience".

Return to “Media Streaming”