QMusic or QFile: Stream from NAS to Airport Express

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
annode
Starting out

QMusic or QFile: Stream from NAS to Airport Express

Post by annode »

Hello,

I'm trying to stream from my QNAP NAS TS-431 to my Airport express station from QMusic or QFile using iPhone 6 running ios 8.4.1. The QNAP Nas is running on Firmware 4.2.0 BETA (Build 20150819). both apps find the airport express station correctly. When trying to press "Play" from both apps, nothing happens. The play symbol doesn't change to pause as it does when playing over the phone and no sound appears on the connected speaker to the airport.

Does anyone else have this problem?

BR
pwilson
Guru

Re: QMusic or QFile: Stream from NAS to Airport Express

Post by pwilson »

Doesn't Apple provide their own Apps for streaming from an Airport Express to an iPhone 6?

QMusic and QFile are QNAP Apps designed to work with a QNAP NAS. Go figure. :-0

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
annode
Starting out

Post by annode »

Hi Patrick,

you're right. On iOS devices airplay is part of the OS, so every song can be streamed from the iOS device to the Airplay receiver. The problem with that is that the iOS device does the streaming which causes the battery to go down quickly. I want the NAS to do the streaming. In QFile I have an option "Stream from NAS" to stream directly from NAS to Airplay I assume. I want to get this working.

I've also installed the qairplay app in QNAP web interface, even with this application, streaming via the qairplay web interface is not working (same issue as with the apps - the play button does not switch to pause, nothing happens).
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

annode wrote:Hi Patrick,

you're right. On iOS devices airplay is part of the OS, so every song can be streamed from the iOS device to the Airplay receiver. The problem with that is that the iOS device does the streaming which causes the battery to go down quickly. I want the NAS to do the streaming. In QFile I have an option "Stream from NAS" to stream directly from NAS to Airplay I assume. I want to get this working.

I've also installed the qairplay app in QNAP web interface, even with this application, streaming via the qairplay web interface is not working (same issue as with the apps - the play button does not switch to pause, nothing happens).
As you have a NAS, I can't understand why you would store any media on your Router in the first place. Put your Music in your Multimedia share on the NAS, and then setup the "mt-daap" server on the NAS to serve it up to your iTunes clients on your network, including any iPhones or OS X boxes on your network.

You shouldn't need any of the Apps discussed so far in this thread if you did that. Is the HDD on the Router fast? USB3? Firewire? (Sorry, but Airport Extreme Routers are seldom seen except among Apple users with deep pockets).

I don't own any Apple devices whatsoever here, but I use the "mt-daap" Server on the NAS with all my devices without challenge. (QNAP errantly calls the "mt-daap" Server the "iTunes Server" on the NAS).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
mrtsb
New here

Post by mrtsb »

I have a similar requirement
I had a Synology unit before my QNAP and whilst I love my QNAP the Key feature I sadly miss is that The Synology Music app allowed you to stream music to multiple Outputs, in my case I have several aiport express units around the house with a speaker plugged into each.

I could then either use the Synology Mobile app on my ipad or iphone or the webapp and select a playlist, select all outputs and the play then bingo!!!! I have music playing throughout the house. This was a very nice feature to have and I am surprised that Qnap don't have.

This feature saves MEGA bucks in having to buy a SONOS

Anyone know the steps to make this happen with QNAP?
mrtsb
New here

Post by mrtsb »

even the new Apple TV supports this feature but not Qnap???
Ninowis
First post

Post by Ninowis »

mrtsb wrote:I have a similar requirement
I had a Synology unit before my QNAP and whilst I love my QNAP the Key feature I sadly miss is that The Synology Music app allowed you to stream music to multiple Outputs, in my case I have several aiport express units around the house with a speaker plugged into each.

I could then either use the Synology Mobile app on my ipad or iphone or the webapp and select a playlist, select all outputs and the play then bingo!!!! I have music playing throughout the house. This was a very nice feature to have and I am surprised that Qnap don't have.

This feature saves MEGA bucks in having to buy a SONOS

Anyone know the steps to make this happen with QNAP?
I would be very interested to know if that is possible too as I'm considering buying a nas with this exact purpose in mind. I was highly considering the qnap until I read it would only airplay to apple TV, and that airplay express speakers wouldn't work, is that true? Have you had any joy with even just one?
stampeder
New here

Post by stampeder »

I too have several Airport Expresses for music and have found a couple of ways for this too work, albeit none of which are satisfactory. QNAP seems to be ignoring how important Music Streaming really is as an application for QNAP.
Why only support the AppleTV when the Airport Expresses are much easier and far more ubiquitous?

Help here please so I can play my Christmas music throughout the house.
mrtsb
New here

Post by mrtsb »

Unfortunately while the QNAP hardware is way in front of Synology the SW just isn't close, whats frustrating is that it seems like its just not thought through. I was just at a Tech Fair where SONOS was showing off their VERY expensive equipment for playing music in each room in the house, yet the QNAP cannot deliver whilst its fully available with Synology - Please Please add this feature !!!!
mrtsb
New here

Post by mrtsb »

Today I saw yet another update from Qnap, alas it would seem no-one from Qnap reads or takes notice of the forums, still no facility to stream music to airport Express- Just cannot work out why Qnap sw engineers would write sw that streams to apple TV's !!! Does Qnap expect you to buy an apple TV or each room in the house. Come on guys get your act together- your hardware is awesome but you sw **, its way behind the features and functionality of Synology. I can only wish that one day both companies will merge so we can get the best of both worlds!!!
mrtsb
New here

Post by mrtsb »

Yet another update and still no way to stream to an airport express - come on Qnap get your act together !!!
gianry
Know my way around

Post by gianry »

I'm able to stream from NAS to Apple TV 3rd version but not to Airport Express.
Is it normal ? Is there something to set up ?

Return to “Mobile Devices”