Dropbox like sync?

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
friedl
New here

Dropbox like sync?

Post by friedl »

Hi!

Is there an Android App that does a Dropbox-like background sync of folders between a QNAP NAS and my phone?

I know for Windows there's QSync but not for Android. The QFile app is not at all like like a Dropbox app.
MfG / Regards
Friedl
pwilson
Guru

Re: Dropbox like sync?

Post by pwilson »

friedl wrote:Hi!

Is there an Android App that does a Dropbox-like background sync of folders between a QNAP NAS and my phone?

I know for Windows there's QSync but not for Android. The QFile app is not at all like like a Dropbox app.
Install "Dropbox" on the NAS
Install "Dropbox" on your Android.

No need for a Dropbox-like tool. You can install the real one,

From the QNAP App Center:

From the Google Play Store: Dropbox

I have Dropbox installed on all my Linux, Windows, Android, and QNAP devices. Everything is kept in Sync. Photos taken on my Android are "automagically" synced up. Less than a minute after I take a Photo on my phone in "appears" in the Dropbox folder of my Laptop.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
friedl
New here

Post by friedl »

BUT this should be a private QNAP powered cloud not a sync with the NSA - aka. Dropbox.
MfG / Regards
Friedl
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

friedl wrote:BUT this should be a private QNAP powered cloud not a sync with the NSA - aka. Dropbox.
You didn't state that in your original message.

If you use the Internet at all, the NSA already has your data. Doesn't even matter if you are in the USA or not.
"America - Home of the Free" is a fantasy.

Bless George W Bush for extinguishing the Constitution of the United States with the Patriot Act. Bless the Press and the People of the United States for silently accepting this without so much as a complaint.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

pwilson wrote:If you use the Internet at all, the NSA already has your data. Doesn't even matter if you are in the USA or not.
I think he's referring to this: http://www.drop-dropbox.com/ (and yeah, that lady alone is a good reason to drop Dropbox altogether).
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
friedl
New here

Post by friedl »

OK, back to the original question, how can someone establish a Dropbox like sync between a phone and a QNAP NAS?
QSync and Qfile don't seem to be up to that task, am I right?
MfG / Regards
Friedl
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

friedl wrote:...how can someone establish a Dropbox like sync between a phone and a QNAP NAS?
How would you that with i.e Dropbox and an Android phone, except of the camera upload feature?
friedl wrote:QSync and Qfile don't seem to be up to that task, am I right?
We have no Qsync on mobile devices, Qfile permits access to the Qsync storage area on the NAS only.
kallekula
New here

Post by kallekula »

Do you have any plans on implementing this "dropbox like feature"? This feature is something I really would like to have as well...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

friedl wrote:Is there an Android App that does a Dropbox-like background sync of folders between a QNAP NAS and my phone?
kallekula wrote:Do you have any plans on implementing this "dropbox like feature"?
Still wonder what should be "this" Dropbox-like here... I can't see any options to sync random folders on the mobile i.e. on Android with a Dropbox folder. The only exception is the ability to turn on Camera Upload on the Dropbox client on Android.
someoneelse
New here

Post by someoneelse »

If you are using tools like 1Password, it's essential to have the conent of a folder in sync over all devices.
So it would be really nice if we would be able to keep some folders in sync at any time.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

someoneelse wrote:If you are using tools like 1Password, it's essential to have the conent of a folder in sync over all devices.
And how can we sync a free definable folder on a device (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, ...) with Dropbox please? AFAIK iOS and Android Dropbox does not have a local sync folder to hold the Dropbox root files - all kept in the cloud, is't it?
techscapes
New here

Post by techscapes »

friedl wrote:Hi!

I've been using this third party app in Android called FolderSync. It let's you sync any folders or files from your device to any cloud or local storage such as an SMB/CIFS shares, NAS, or FTP. Even to Amazon S3 or owncloud, etc. It's a powerful ap and fully customizable. You can run it on a schedule or even do two way sync. Check it out.

Hope that helps.
Pauluz
New here

Post by Pauluz »

I need to reach my NAS with foldersync outside my LAN.

So far I have not seen any options besides FTP to manage that.

I would like to use my dyndns.

Thanks,
Pauluz
Anyone got a clue?
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Once set out relative port forwarding rules, just configure myqnapcloud ddns address the same way you are using foldersync with your private ip.

Actually with myqnapcloud it is no longer relevant if you are within or outside your network, as this ddns is able to understand if you are within or outside your LAN (I think it does just a simple lookup, but it works). In this way you could eventually just drop your internal LAN profile.

Otherwise, if you don't want to open ports on your firewall, set up a VPN.
Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)

Return to “Mobile Devices”