RAID volume full

iSCSI related applications
stef1990
New here

RAID volume full

Post by stef1990 »

Hi everyone,

Our NAS TS-879 Pro keeps saying volume full.
We have a RAID of 5 disks total 6.3 TB
We also have an ISCSI disk of 6.3 TB
We only use the ISCSI.

The NAS keeps sending e-mails:
Server Name: NAS name
IP Address: 192.168.1.123
Date/Time: 2014/07/31 15:34:47
Level: Warning
[RAID5 Disk Volume Host Drive: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] Disk space is full.

I can disable the warning settings but if 1 of my disks give an error i can't see them.
Is there a solution for it?

Kind regards,

Stef Hoogervorst
Venema Advies BV
Don
Guru

Re: RAID volume full

Post by Don »

You should be able to turn off the warnings for disk full. Not in front of my QNAP so you will have to go through the GUI to find where it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
stef1990
New here

Post by stef1990 »

Hi Don,

I checked everywhere in my NAS but i can't find the setting for full disk.
I can uncheck warning logs but when a harddisk has an other error it wont send a e-mail to.

I just want to disable the disk full message.
I cannot change the value below 1 GB.
Free disk size is 100MB at the moment.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

No way to do such thing. Afraid, the notification "settings" are a bad joke, compared e.g. to Synology.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Rhodan
Starting out

Post by Rhodan »

In Storage Manager under Storage, Volumes select your volume. You should see an option to set the alert threshold for utilization or disable it. The same option is also available under storage pool. Not sure if it will work for you, this is on a TS-470 running 4.0.5. One of my TS-879U-RP on 3.8.2 does not have this option, Storage Manager was introduced with 4.x if I'm not mistaken.

Your original post didn't mention your firmware version.
TheOGTonyG
New here

Post by TheOGTonyG »

TS-EC1679U-RP with 4.0.5 firmware allows you to disable thresholds on both volumes and storage pools.

BUT...

The first storage pool on the 1679 does not appear to allow disabling of the threshold at all. We use the volume thresholds to alert us of a low disk space condition, and since the pools themselves are "thick-provisioned" inasmuch as they are given 100% allocation from the get-go, not being able to disable the storage pool alerting on a device that is allegedly more than just a SOHO NAS is more than a little inconvenient.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

stef1990 wrote:Hi everyone,

Our NAS TS-879 Pro keeps saying volume full.
We have a RAID of 5 disks total 6.3 TB
We also have an ISCSI disk of 6.3 TB
We only use the ISCSI.

The NAS keeps sending e-mails:
Server Name: NAS name
IP Address: 192.168.1.123
Date/Time: 2014/07/31 15:34:47
Level: Warning
[RAID5 Disk Volume Host Drive: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] Disk space is full.

I can disable the warning settings but if 1 of my disks give an error i can't see them.
Is there a solution for it?

Kind regards,

Stef Hoogervorst
Venema Advies BV
I have never understood why people do these types of iSCSI configurations. I have never created an iSCSI Volume over 250GB. The biggest problem with iSCSI (IMHO), when used as you have, is that the Storage container created is only accessible to a single device, which simply creates a slow-access "boot" device, with no ability to create LUN Snapshots etc, as there is no space left on the NAS to store the Snapshots.

Here, I simply create small iSCSI "boot" volumes for my diskless Workstations, which are just big enough for the system to "boot" from. Once the workstation is "booted", The "guest OS" simply mounts the standard NAS shares Public, Multimedia, homes. shares from the NAS on each diskless Workstation. Unlike the iSCSI volume, my "shares" can be mounted on multiple devices, and can be shared easily.

When you use the entire storage space of the NAS for an "all my eggs in one basket" iSCSI configuration, that you can't easily backup from the NAS side, you are essentially disabling 95% of the features of the NAS. You could accomplish the same "storage" on your iSCSI clients by simply installing local storage on the device without incurring the expense of a NAS at all. What am I missing?

I'm not calling your configuration "wrong". I simply don't understand why you would want to do such a configuration in the first place. I keep trying to get my head around such configurations, but I only see disadvantages from doing so. Perhaps I simply haven't researched this deeply enough.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
meshu
Starting out

Post by meshu »

Ill tell you why I do it...

I am only using the NAS for VMWare/HyperV storage. iSCSI can be used for multiple hosts in that case. I turn off everything else I can to reduce possibility of a process going wrong on the box. I need the most reliable storage possible, not any of the other features. Also, with iSCSI only, customers cannot access the NAS directly.

Its only for our cheap storage, but I still want three 9s...

Simplicity IMHO is often the best/easiest way to reliability...
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

meshu wrote:Ill tell you why I do it...

I am only using the NAS for VMWare/HyperV storage. iSCSI can be used for multiple hosts in that case. I turn off everything else I can to reduce possibility of a process going wrong on the box. I need the most reliable storage possible, not any of the other features. Also, with iSCSI only, customers cannot access the NAS directly.

Its only for our cheap storage, but I still want three 9s...

Simplicity IMHO is often the best/easiest way to reliability...
Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I still don't understand your choice, but this isn't anyone's problem except mine. It is your NAS, so you can set it up any way you want. I do understand the use of iSCSI, it is "using the entire NAS storage volume" part that I don't understand.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”