Removing iSCSI LUN takes a long time

iSCSI related applications
jonebersole
New here

Removing iSCSI LUN takes a long time

Post by jonebersole »

I have 3 LUNS in my storage Pool, each 1.2TB each. They are spread across a RAID 5 set with 1 hot spare. I recently wanted to resize one of my LUNs and make it about 2GB smaller, because I am going to setup a Microsoft Cluster testing environment and use that new 2GB LUN as my Witness Disk. I noticed that I really couldn't resize any of the LUNs, so thought I would delete the last LUN in the group, since it wasn't being used. I disabled it, and then unmapped it. In the un-mapped LUN list, I selected it and selected delete. It was saying 'Removing' for about an hour or more. I got edgy and decided to try to try a reboot, but it kept saying 'removing'. So I tried to remap it. It mapped as the third LUN again, but was showing as 'offline'. so I thought I could just go ahead and unmap it and delete it this time. I tried deleting it again, but it just sits there and shows 'removing' in the status area.

I tried rebooting the device, but it still says 'removing' in the un-mapped LUN list. It has been running for a few hours now. I just tried rebooting again recently, but again, it just says 'removing'. Any ideas on how I can remove this LUN, create a 1.18TB LUN and a new 4th LUN of 2GB that I wanted originally? Should it really be taking this long to remove? I'm pretty sure I keep making it worse by my reboots. :-) Thanks in advance for your help. - Jon
jonebersole
New here

Re: Removing iSCSI LUN takes a long time

Post by jonebersole »

As an update to anyone that reads this post; I had to continue on my project, so I couldn't wait any longer. Since it was a new device and not used in production yet, I reset the system to clear the configuration and reformatted the drives. I never was able to actually fix this issue.
lancia
Starting out

Post by lancia »

I've got the same problem, it's been removing a lun for 2 days now!

Anyone got any help on this?
realDVK
New here

Post by realDVK »

I've got the same problem. New QNAP. Delete lun after resize. And now lun is in deleting state for a long time (7 hours).
Anybody knows how to help?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
realDVK
New here

Post by realDVK »

My case:
1.Your Operating System you are using to access your NAS: Windows 2012 & 7
2.NAS model: TS-853 Pro
3.Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.1.4/20150804
4.Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): 1+2 802.3ad
5.Drive Configuration: RAID6
6.Number of drives: 8
7.Drive Manufacturer: Seagate (x8)
8.Drive Model: ST800AS0002-1NA17Z
9.Drive Firmware revision: AR13
Problem:
Its removing for 16 hours. Any options besides factory reset?
realDVK
New here

Post by realDVK »

Successfully reseted.
QNAP D4 Pro:
2Tb SSHD x1
4Tb HDD x2
12Tb HDD x1
tjcooper
Starting out

Deleting unmapped iSCSI LUN stuck in "removing"

Post by tjcooper »

I have a QNAP TS-453 Pro version 4.1.4

I am trying to remove an un-mapped iSCSI lun. Its been stuck in "removing" for about 24 hours now.

Any ideas?
adamg
First post

Post by adamg »

Disappointed that this is still a problem. I am experiencing it and looks like I have to factory reset, which is ridiculous.
KouDy
Starting out

Post by KouDy »

I don't have this qnap model but perhaps you can try workaround in shell directly.
Configuration file for iscsi should be located here : /etc/.config/iscsi_trgt.conf
LUNs should be in : /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.@iscsi.img/

When you remove conf file or the section with content you need to be gone it will be removed from webgui. Be advised that there are targets and luns so 2 sections to check.
After this you can delete image directly.

Ofc make backups of everything so you don't lose anything.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”