I'm new to QNAP. Just installed a TS-EC-879-URP with 4x3TB in RAID 5. It is connected to my network via CAT5e at 1GHz.
The storage will be used by 3 types of computers:
- regular PC (using XP-Pro)
- Servers using Server2003
- VMware Virtual Servers using Server2008R2.
I need to choose between
- enabling iSCSI on each and giving each PC / Server / VMware VM its own LUN
- setting up share folders on the RAID for each PC / Server / VMware VM and managing security with user/group rights.
I assume that security is easier to manage if I choose the iSCSI.
I am able to run multiple CAT5e and also to put on multiple sub-nets if this gets me more speed.
- Is there a difference in speed between iSCSI vs/ shared folders?
- - - I may be able to run multiple CAT5e and set up "aggregation mode" (don't know for sure)
- Are there other important considerations before I set up and start copying files?
Thanks for any advice.