Can TS-212 share without internal disks, only ext. USB?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
murloc
New here

Can TS-212 share without internal disks, only ext. USB?

Post by murloc »

As subject asks, can TS-212 share without any internal disks installed inside, only an external USB drive attached on the outside? I'd love to get a NAS as a solution to my pictures being stored all over the place and being inaccessible to my iThings, but I'm feeling a bit tight financially and would like to know if I can use my existing external USB hard drive with the NAS without investing in 1 or 2 new hard drives.

(I couldn't find a search function on this forum, where is it hidden? Otherwise, i used google...)

Thanks for reading, have a great day!
-M
pwilson
Guru

Re: Can TS-212 share without internal disks, only ext. USB?

Post by pwilson »

murloc wrote:As subject asks, can TS-212 share without any internal disks installed inside, only an external USB drive attached on the outside? I'd love to get a NAS as a solution to my pictures being stored all over the place and being inaccessible to my iThings, but I'm feeling a bit tight financially and would like to know if I can use my existing external USB hard drive with the NAS without investing in 1 or 2 new hard drives.
You need a minimum of 1 HDD installed inside your NAS. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you can't afford drives for your NAS, I guess this means you can't afford to back it up either.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:
murloc wrote:(I couldn't find a search function on this forum, where is it hidden? Otherwise, i used google...)
It is cleverly "hidden" at the top of each and every page of this Forum in plain sight.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
murloc
New here

Post by murloc »

Ahh man... groan; see, before i registered, I tried finding my answer without having to post a new topic, good forum etiquette and everything, but of course the search is disabled for guests. Ah well. That's a good one =)

And for the NAS, well, who needs a backup right? just kidding!
Thanks for the quick answer, very helpful. I'll be investing then; you recommend the WD Reds?

I loved visiting Victoria and the island, beautiful place. Greetings from Montreal, QC.
-M
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

murloc wrote:but of course the search is disabled for guests. Ah well. That's a good one =)
Another totally incompetent admin "improvement". Sorry. See the gory details in this thread. :x :x :roll: :roll:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

doktornotor wrote:
murloc wrote:but of course the search is disabled for guests. Ah well. That's a good one =)
Another totally incompetent admin "improvement". Sorry. See the gory details in this thread. :x :x :roll: :roll:
Guess it's time to stop helping people. I can live with providing support for people, in the absence of any "help" from QNAP in this Forum System, but I see no point in even attempting to help, if QNAP's incompetent Forum Admin is making it impossible for people to find the "help" that is already here.

This has gone from stupid to just plain incompetence on QNAP's part.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”