UPS, NFS, and strangeness

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
glasseye
New here

UPS, NFS, and strangeness

Post by glasseye »

I have a TS-453 Pro+ and I have been slowly setting it up, however I've noticed a few quirks and I was wondering if anyone has found solutions to these.

UPS support seems to allow for a NIS server to get status, however it reports no results. Logging in to SSH I noticed an old version of apcupsd was setup, but its configuration was stuck on USB configuration. Looking around the forums, it appears this is a customized build of apcupsd and doesn't support networking. How does the network ups mode work? And how do I connect it to my other apcupsd server? Haven't seen much success, and do submitting feature requests help?

I also was wondering about rsync, is there an easier way to get remove pull syncs to happen other then configuring them via SSH and putting them in the crontab? Lastly, is NFSv4 support coming? I saw it was available partially but requires significant modifications to the software that could break web management.
schumaku
Guru

Re: UPS, NFS, and strangeness

Post by schumaku »

glasseye wrote:UPS support seems to allow for a NIS server to get status, however it reports no results.
NIS server - that's a different beast -> NIS.

Assuming you talk of a network monitoring and management system making use of SNMP: The NAS needs to be able to talk to the UPS SNMP to query the UPS status (the UPS IP has to be configured), and is able to listen to SNMP traps issues by the UPS. The SNMP traps need to be configured on the UPS. As the number of TRAP receivers configurable are limited, the network management system might have to join to deal with receiving and distributing SNMP TRAPs.

Not sure why you want to query the NAS by SNMP for the network UPS status. Never checked if the NAS is reflecting network UPS status in it's SNMP implementation - check the NAS MIB if required.
glasseye wrote:Logging in to SSH I noticed an old version of apcupsd was setup, but its configuration was stuck on USB configuration.
While some old binaries are lurking around - in fact the QNAP UPS support is built based on NUT, not apcupsd at all - for both USB and network connected UPS.
glasseye wrote: Lastly, is NFSv4 support coming?
Formal NFSv4.1 support including full ACL support (don't know about the optional Kerberos Auth support) is in the works. Late 2015 from what I'm aware - not an official date, wild guess only.
glasseye wrote:I saw it was available partially but requires significant modifications to the software that could break web management
No idea what should break the Web management when enabling NFSv4(.1) manually as in place. Limiting factors might be the limited POSIX ACL scheme used on the NAS, potentially the Kerberos Auth support (which is optional).

Regards,
-Kurt.
glasseye
New here

Re: UPS, NFS, and strangeness

Post by glasseye »

schumaku wrote:
glasseye wrote:UPS support seems to allow for a NIS server to get status, however it reports no results.
NIS server - that's a different beast -> NIS.

Assuming you talk of a network monitoring and management system making use of SNMP: The NAS needs to be able to talk to the UPS SNMP to query the UPS status (the UPS IP has to be configured), and is able to listen to SNMP traps issues by the UPS. The SNMP traps need to be configured on the UPS. As the number of TRAP receivers configurable are limited, the network management system might have to join to deal with receiving and distributing SNMP TRAPs.

Not sure why you want to query the NAS by SNMP for the network UPS status. Never checked if the NAS is reflecting network UPS status in it's SNMP implementation - check the NAS MIB if required.
glasseye wrote:Logging in to SSH I noticed an old version of apcupsd was setup, but its configuration was stuck on USB configuration.
While some old binaries are lurking around - in fact the QNAP UPS support is built based on NUT, not apcupsd at all - for both USB and network connected UPS.
glasseye wrote: Lastly, is NFSv4 support coming?
Formal NFSv4.1 support including full ACL support (don't know about the optional Kerberos Auth support) is in the works. Late 2015 from what I'm aware - not an official date, wild guess only.
glasseye wrote:I saw it was available partially but requires significant modifications to the software that could break web management
No idea what should break the Web management when enabling NFSv4(.1) manually as in place. Limiting factors might be the limited POSIX ACL scheme used on the NAS, potentially the Kerberos Auth support (which is optional).

Regards,
-Kurt.
That clears up a lot of things! I ended up just setting up qnapware and was able to get apcupsd running and configured and have a rsync script that should be sufficient for now.

But push rsync would be a nice feature someday.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”