Do the new 6Tb and 8Tb drives work with QNAP?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Don
Guru

Re: Do the new 6Tb and 8Tb drives work with QNAP?

Post by Don »

This is a community forum and not a QNAP support channel so we do not care where you purchase you equipment. To provide intelligent answers one must provide as much information as possible. To deliberately withhold information and still expect a reasonable response doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
usao
Getting the hang of things

Post by usao »

In my last post, I provided all the information available. The fact remains that im just pricing out options, and do not have a particular drive or QNAP device selected.
I was more interested in the general ability of the QOS to support the larger drives.
I don't think that's an unreasonable question to ask, especially since this is not (as you say) a support forum.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

When you look into second hand TS-869 Pro ... please double check the seller

- had no issues with HDD not being detected on cold boot, and
- had no issues with HDD departing from the NAS without obvious reasons

The first issue is most likely caused by an issue on some SATA back planes, while the second one has a specific Seagate desktop drive touch. QNAP did check these back planes on warranty (and obligingness) and replaced these if required.
usao wrote:I was more interested in the general ability of the QOS to support the larger drives.
"In general, these lager drives are workable..." as explained.
usao

Post by usao »

Thanks, that's good to know, I will do that.
The main reason I asked in the first place is that I read somewhere on the web that "some" storage systems could not support the larger drives. There is some "magic" point at which something peaks-out and you cannot use a larger drive. I don't know specifically what that is, but im glad to hear the QOS doesn't seem to have this issue.
There are many QNAP's on ebay, it's the largest market that I am aware of for second-hand equipment (read as "cheap").
I have to make sure that im not out-pricing myself since we already have a working EMC SAN, and while re-couping the expensive SAN storage for other things is great, im suggesting that my boss actually lay-out money for somthing, which he pretty much already has at this time (storage space).
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

usao wrote:In my last post, I provided all the information available.
Yes you did. It just took a long time to get the information requested. We are willing to help but can't do that if you don't provide the details requested.

You mention that you have an EMC SAN. If so keep in mind that the QNAP will not connect to it as it is network attached storage. Also depending on your EMC equipment you might not get the same throughput on the NAS. Not trying to insult your intelligence but just want to make sure what you purchase meets your requirements and expectations.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
usao

Post by usao »

That will not happen in every instance. There are times when a generic question will be asked with minimal details.
That's part of the job of a professional, to deal with less-than-perfect situations and make best-estimates given the level of detail provided.

As for the SAN connectivity, I had asked that in a separate thread, but it's not critical as we are fine with iSCSI interface and the lower speed/throughput of networking.
We don't need SAN level performance for a backup server. Cheap and slow is fine.
I ran some measurements and a tray of 146Gb FC drives on our EMC is drawing about 675 watts of power (2Tb). A single 2Tb drive in the 2.5in formfactor runs around 5 watts. So, if I was to use the SFF drives, I could expect to see roughly a 100x improvement in watts/TB. The wd60efrx is 4.5 watts fir 6Tb.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

usao wrote:The main reason I asked in the first place is that I read somewhere on the web that "some" storage systems could not support the larger drives. There is some "magic" point at which something peaks-out and you cannot use a larger drive. I don't know specifically what that is, but im glad to hear the QOS doesn't seem to have this issue..
To be correct this does not apply to the newer Intel and AMD based QNAP NAS models with the flexible volume manager.

Earlier hardware like the earlier TS-509Pro comes with a SATA controller not supporting drives > 2TB, and systems with 32 bit processors - all ARM bases SoC as of writing, plus TS-x39 Series - come with the legacy storage manager and a Max file system size of 16 TB, an ext4 32 bit limitation.
usao

Post by usao »

I was thinking of the newer models, such as the 869 and 1269, which are rack mount instead of desktop. That will work best for our environment at the office.
Emsley
New here

Post by Emsley »

Hello.
Has anyone successfully used 8TB drives in a TS869l?
I raised a ticket requesting a validation an 8TB Iron Wolf drive via the Tech Support link.
The response I got was that the TS869L is now End of Life and is now unsupported in terms of future drive qualifications.
I'm currently running 4TB drives but need to move to larger drives as my NAS is now full. I'd rather go to 8TB drives rather than 6TB given the not huge cost difference.

Thanks
Ems
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what is your current raid type, volume type(legacy or storage pools)?

you should have opened a new topic instead of necroposting in a 3 year old dead thread
Emsley
New here

Post by Emsley »

I use RAID5 with a single storage pool.
I''ll happily start a new thread if you prefer.
Emsley
New here

Post by Emsley »

You make a valid point.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”