UPS additional functionality

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
andrewbldr
Getting the hang of things

UPS additional functionality

Post by andrewbldr »

Is there a plugin/app that would add UPS functionality to the built-in functionality? I want to do a more intelligent shutdown process based on UPS capacity - similar to how the utility on my PC works (cyberpower). It seems the only way it currently works is to hard code a specific time. And you can't have it restore service when the power comes back.

cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD
NAS TS-659
Briain
Experience counts

Re: UPS additional functionality

Post by Briain »

andrewbldr wrote:Is there a plugin/app that would add UPS functionality to the built-in functionality? I want to do a more intelligent shutdown process based on UPS capacity - similar to how the utility on my PC works (cyberpower). It seems the only way it currently works is to hard code a specific time. And you can't have it restore service when the power comes back.

cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD
NAS TS-659
Hi

In the past, I (and several others) have suggested an enhancement to give the option to power off the NAS at x% remaining ups up time. This would be really quite useful as it would cater for adding items to the ups (thus reducing remaining time) without having to change the Qnap settings to reflect the change in predicted running time, but as you say, this is not yet an available option.

As to the second point, you can set the NAS to boot on restoration of power, but I assume that would only work if the power outage was such that some time after the NAS had powered itself down, the ups had then killed its output to protect the battery, so if the outage was long enough to trigger NAS poweroff, but not long enough to cause ups shut down, I guess it would remain off when the power had been restored (something I've never considered as my main criteria is to ensure it powers down politely, but I can see that would be a problem for NAS units located at an unmanned site, for example).

Not someting that I've looked closely at (as it's not a problem I'd need a solutiom for), so it will be very interesting to see if anyone else has any comments/solutions regarding the latter issue.

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Hi there.

I recently asked for NUT to be upgraded to the latest version since NUT on firmware 4.1.2 is at v2.6.5. latest is v2.7.2 this may add more functionality to the features you require. though best is you submit a ticket with a "feature request" in the Issue Category field.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
andrewbldr

Post by andrewbldr »

NUT looks promising. I'm guessing you'd want NUT to run on a pretty lightweight machine as IT is acting as the decision maker in this process.

On a side note - it seems that whenever my NAS is shutdown (even gracefully) it comes up complaining that the FS is not clean. Anyone see this? It happened yesterday again when we lost power for 6 hours :-)
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Are you running the "check now" feature in disk management? once it is done then the issue should disappear. loosing power suddenly will do this. make sure if your NAS is on UPS that the system shuts down before the UPS drains all power.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
andrewbldr

Post by andrewbldr »

Yes - "check now". I'll try and do another shutdown and see if it comes up clean. It's on a BA (big **) UPS that can sustain it for about 1.5hrs of run time. I'll have to look if there is a way to tell if it was gracefully shutdown or not.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”