HD compatibility

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
JasonC
Starting out

HD compatibility

Post by JasonC »

Hello,

I had a problem with my TS-419P II recently and I had to get Qnap to remote in and fix the issue. They said it was because the hard drives in the box were not on the compatibility list. However, I bought the Qnap from brand new with the disks already installed so how can this be, why supply the boxes with incompatible disks in the first place? I've only had this big problem once but should I be worried?

The drives are Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1CC43, there are 4 installed in RAID 5

Many thanks
Jason
P3R
Guru

Re: HD compatibility

Post by P3R »

JasonC wrote:However, I bought the Qnap from brand new with the disks already installed so how can this be, why supply the boxes with incompatible disks in the first place?
Because your reseller is incompetent.

Qnap don't sell the NAS with disks installed. Your reseller installed and sold you this incompatible combination. Complain at the reseller to get the disks replaced for compatible disks or a complete return of all products.
I've only had this big problem once but should I be worried?
Yes, those disks aren't fit for use in a NAS!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Once upon a time, these HDD were listed if I'm not wrong, so well possible it was not the reseller's mistake back then. Real world experience proofed these drives causing massive issues not limited to the QNAP NAS - so they had been removed form the compatibility list.
JasonC
Starting out

Post by JasonC »

schumaku wrote:Once upon a time, these HDD were listed if I'm not wrong, so well possible it was not the reseller's mistake back then. Real world experience proofed these drives causing massive issues not limited to the QNAP NAS - so they had been removed form the compatibility list.
Thanks, this makes more sense than an incompetent reseller, I bought the NAS just over 2 years ago. So in theory, disks that are on the compatible list now could also be found to be incompatible in a few months :(

I've only ever had one problem and it is used intensely so, maybe I'll just replace the disks when they go bang. Yes I do have backups, now that qnap have fixed the external drive connection problem :)
JasonC
Starting out

Post by JasonC »

And just to confirm... I just found a page I printed from Qnap's website 2 years ago showing that this HD was compatible. I guess these disks were not really tested thoroughly before putting them on the list. Because of this, I think I will try and research tried and tested disks before purchasing new ones, rather than going off the compatibility list exclusively. If any one has any recommendations, I would appreciate it!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

JasonC wrote:I had a problem with my TS-419P II recently and I had to get Qnap to remote in and fix the issue. They said it was because the hard drives in the box were not on the compatibility list. However, I bought the Qnap from brand new with the disks already installed so how can this be, why supply the boxes with incompatible disks in the first place? I've only had this big problem once but should I be worried?

QNAP only sells "diskless NAS devices". If you bought a QNAP NAS with ST*000DM00* drives, this is the responsibility of your undisclosed vendor. QNAP did not sell you those garbage drives.
JasonC wrote:The drives are Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1CC43, there are 4 installed in RAID 5
Your undisclosed vendor, sold you the "cheapest" drives they could find. (Maximize profit). They did not even check the compatibility list. As the "purchaser", that is your job. :shock:

Check out these messages.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
JasonC
Starting out

Post by JasonC »

Well thanks for the unhelpful advice, I've noticed you do that a lot.

If you actually read my last post you, will see that I found a page I printed from the Qnap website 2 years ago that says the drive in question was compatible at that time. So how can it be the vendors or even my fault that the drive is no longer compatible? You are talking complete nonsense. Not that it has anything to do with it but, the vendor I used is broadbandbuyer.co.uk who are very highly rated, and of which I have used for many products that have been fantastic.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

JasonC wrote:Thanks, this makes more sense than an incompetent reseller, I bought the NAS just over 2 years ago.
I wrongly assumed that the NAS was bought a little more recently so yes, maybe incompetent was too harsh.

The disks may still have been on the compatibility list at the time of your purchase but there had already been many reports about problems with the disks here in the forum.

The whole Seagate DL/DM story (and WD Green before that) is really very sad with so many customers experiencing incompatibility problems.
So in theory, disks that are on the compatible list now could also be found to be incompatible in a few months :(
Yes, that is possible. Disk manufacturers often make firmware and even hardware changes on products and they are usually very reluctant to inform about it so the very early disks that Qnap test for compatibility may not always be what customers get later.

Disks specifically recommended for NAS usage and on the compatibility list is usually a good choice but in addition to that, I always recommend users to search for the disk model name here in forum before a purchase. If there are many negative posts about a specific disk model, I would stay away from it.
I've only ever had one problem and it is used intensely so, maybe I'll just replace the disks when they go bang.
Yes, that's for you to decide.

You can use different disk models and even from different manufacturers in the same RAID-volume so replacing the disks as they fail is possible. Just hope that two disks doesn't fail at the same time.
Yes I do have backups, now that qnap have fixed the external drive connection problem :)
That's excellent!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
JasonC
Starting out

Post by JasonC »

Many thanks P3R, very helpful! I've noticed that WD Red looks to be popular, I may investigate these further :)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

JasonC wrote:Many thanks P3R, very helpful! I've noticed that WD Red looks to be popular, I may investigate these further :)
Yes do that. WD Red was the first NAS-specific disk model on the market and most users, including me, are very happy with them.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”