Qnap TS-212P is not available

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Triple eX
New here

Qnap TS-212P is not available

Post by Triple eX »

Hello,

I am Sebastian and I hope that picked right place for this topic. I am Qnap TS-212P owner. Generally my NAS is working fine, but there is one big issue. Since time to time (one-two times per week) my Qnap is disconnecting and only one solution to fix that is turn off NAS by using power button and turn it on again. I can’t do anything else to fix that. Qfinder see the device in network but nothing more. Rebooting by using Qfinder is not working. When I am trying to connect with NAS trough browser I have message like: “Page not found or the web server is currently unavailable. Please contact the website administrator for help.”. When I am using file’s explorer I have message like: “\\192.168.2.2\ is not available...”. So like you see the NAS is disconnecting without reason.

What I did:
1. I had set up static IP for NAS
2. I had set up static IP for NAS and made reservation for this address on router
3. I had set up DHCP for NAS and made reservation for NAS’s MAC address.
4. I had updated firmware on NAS (4.1.2) and on router.
5. I had changed UTP cable connecting NAS and router.

Nothing has helped. For me this is weird and I hope that you will help me solve this issue. In the other case I will send it on warranty. For me it looks like problem with Qnap’s network card or alternatively with my router but in the second case I have no idea what kind of problem it might be. Any hints?

May you help me please?

P.S. my router is Asus WL520gc

Best,
Sebastian
RichSpan
Starting out

Re: Qnap TS-212P is not available

Post by RichSpan »

Hi Sebastian,

If you have a router on the network make sure the router is the DHCP server then make all other devices have an automatic IP address - if you have more then one device acting as DHCP then you will have confusion. You want one boss(router) on the network
*If first, you don't succeed USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!!!!!
*If first, you don't succeed.....don't try sky diving or bungee jumping!!!!!!
RAID IS NOT A BACKUP!!! - make sure your data is on a different device or location.
Current NAS's
TS253A
TS231P
DS119
Triple eX
New here

Post by Triple eX »

Thx for your respond but I am almost sure that IP address assigning is not an issue. I mean that DHCP server is turn on and for NAS is reserved first available address (192.168.2.2). Another devices are receiving addresses starting from 192.168.2.3.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Triple eX wrote:I mean that DHCP server is turn on...
In Router or NAS?

What RichSpan is telling you is that you should use only the DHCP server in the router and absolutely not have have both enabled. Maybe this isn't an issue in your case but it is not clear from the two posts you have made so far.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Triple eX
New here

Post by Triple eX »

Only in the router DHCP server is on. In my local network I have ONLY one master (server) device.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Triple eX wrote:Only in the router DHCP server is on. In my local network I have ONLY one master (server) device.
If you aren't using any other DHCP Servers, then the following settings should be enough:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Triple eX
New here

Post by Triple eX »

pwilson wrote:If you aren't using any other DHCP Servers, then the following settings should be enough
And this is what I have.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Then we can probably rule out a simple network conflict and one need to do basic troubleshooting, which is impossible to help with since we know almost nothing about how you have your NAS setup. When asking questions (especially when they are of the needle-in-the-haystack-type like this one) please always include the following information.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Triple eX wrote:
pwilson wrote:If you aren't using any other DHCP Servers, then the following settings should be enough
And this is what I have.
Please provide some information about your Router too, as this is almost definitely a Router configuration issue.

What Firmware is installed on your Asus WL520gc Router?

You want to setup DHCP Reservations on your Router.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Triple eX
New here

Post by Triple eX »

Operating system:
Windows 7 Enterprise/ Windows 8.1

NAS:
- Qnap TS-212P
- firmware 4.1.2
- DHCP yes
- DHCP server no
- WINS server yes
- single port

Router:
- Asus WL520gc
- firmware 2.0.1.3
- settings as below:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
If you need to know something more please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

1. I have never worked in an Asus router but it appears to me that your router WAN port is configured as a DHCP-client and it seems to receive 192.168.2.1. This tells us there is a router in front of this router handing out a private address. You're recommended to avoid a double-NAT situation like that if at all possible but that is not your biggest problem at the moment.
2. It looks as if the router LAN interface is also configured with 192.168.2.1 :-0 That's very wrong if this unit is intended to work as a router. WAN and LAN should have different addresses and they should be in different ip subnets.

This isn't a networking forum but if you at least explain what you have, what you have done and why, then maybe someone will try and help you anyway.

What equipment do you have in the network?
How is it connected?
Has this ever worked?
If yes, what have you done after that?
What do you connect the WAN port of the router to?
Why do you have the Asus router there, what is your intention with it?

Triple eX
New here

Post by Triple eX »

@P3R I am thankful that you are trying to help me with my issue, but (imho) you are going by wrong way and searching in bad place. Please remember that I am not dumb and know how is working my network. Like you can see on print screen WAN IP background is grey so it means that is not active. This IP address in WAN IP is something old - inactive… now WAN IP is getting automatically from provider's router. It means if you remove this IP form WAN IP field nothing will happen. And router interface is configured with 192.168.2.1. This configuration has been working since 4 years without any problems.

My network looks like: provider router->my asus router -> 2xcomputers (Wi-Fi, DHCP), 1xcomputer (Ethernet), NAS (Ethernet)
Everything in this network is working without any problems… even NAS, but… from time to time is losing connection without known reason (and this is my issue).
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Triple eX wrote:Please remember that I am not dumb and know how is working my network.
Please remember that the forum know nothing of your knowledge and previous experience.
Like you can see on print screen WAN IP background is grey so it means that is not active.
Okay. In my defence, I did tell you that I have never worked in a Asus router and the screenshot can be interpreted both ways.
This configuration has been working since 4 years without any problems.
Well that was basic information that I haven't noticed you telling the forum earlier.

If this issue is NAS-related, it can be caused by both hardware and software. So for anybody to be able to help you with any ideas as to where your issue may be you need to supply information about your complete NAS configuration, both hardware and software. There is no quick fix and troubleshooting intermittent freezing is the worst, it's hard and boring work. :(

We are now pretty far into this discussion and we know only your NAS model, have incomplete information about the firmware on it (always supply also the firmware build date) and a little about the network configuration but that's it. Even the post I linked to contain more questions on hardware that you have so far failed to supply. Then we have the software configuration, what services and apps are in use and how you happen to use your NAS...

This community consists of other Qnap customers being here because it is sometimes rewarding and fun. It is usually no fun having to ask specifically for each and every single piece of information...

You always have the option to contact Qnap support instead.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”