Qnap removes USB Drive contents

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
markd5
First post

Qnap removes USB Drive contents

Post by markd5 »

I have just purchased a TS439-PRO and looking to move data from my old NAS using a USB drive. I saved the files to the USB drive, I can see them on my Windows PC but when I put it into any USB port on the Qnap it states "empty folder" in Filestation, after placing the USB drive back to my PC the files are gone. I have tried 2 different drives and had the same results. Please help.
P5bdkw
Starting out

Re: Qnap removes USB Drive contents

Post by P5bdkw »

I don't have a USB solution, but you can go to File Station and "Upload" your files from the computer.
Darryl W.
QNAP TS-253 PRO
Firmware: QTS 4.1.3 Build 0408
Installed components: 1 x Western Digital WD10EFRX Hard Drive, 1 x 4GB Crucial CT51264BF160B Memory
Desktop OS: Windows 8.1 x64
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

markd5 wrote:I have just purchased a TS439-PRO and looking to move data from my old NAS using a USB drive. I saved the files to the USB drive, I can see them on my Windows PC but when I put it into any USB port on the Qnap it states "empty folder" in Filestation, after placing the USB drive back to my PC the files are gone. I have tried 2 different drives and had the same results. Please help.
Impossible to help with so little information provided. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Please provide information for the following items:
  1. Make/Model of "old NAS"
  2. Make/Model of "USB drive"
  3. Filesystem on "USB drive"
  4. Partition table of "USB drive"
  5. QNAP Firmware Version number
  6. QNAP Firmware Build number

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hard to answer - probably using an older firmware, or an ealrier QTS 4.1.2 build known to have issus with typically WD external USB drives?
P5bdkw wrote:I don't have a USB solution, but you can go to File Station and "Upload" your files from the computer.
Workable - preferred methiond on a LAN (and even beyond) is usong Windows File SHares (SMB), Apple FIle Sharing (AFP), ... for pushing large amount of data over the network. Web aplications can cause much more limitations in general.
frank1972
Starting out

Post by frank1972 »

Dear Patrick i had the same problem, do not know why the information you request is so important? I have a qnap ts-251 running latest firmware built 4.1.2 at least it is the latest in Hollant, i inserted a samsung usb harddrive in the front usb. The Samsung usb drive was ntfs. The nas saw the drive and asked what to do with it, i selected open and view files but they were all gone, there was 500gigs of pictures on it.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

pwilson wrote:Please provide information for the following items:
  1. Make/Model of "old NAS"
  2. Make/Model of "USB drive"
  3. Filesystem on "USB drive"
  4. Partition table of "USB drive"
  5. QNAP Firmware Version number
  6. QNAP Firmware Build number
frank1972 wrote:Dear Patrick i had the same problem, do not know why the information you request is so important? I have a qnap ts-251 running latest firmware built 4.1.2 at least it is the latest in Hollant, i inserted a samsung usb harddrive in the front usb. The Samsung usb drive was ntfs. The nas saw the drive and asked what to do with it, i selected open and view files but they were all gone, there was 500gigs of pictures on it.
Thanks for answering #3, #5, and 50% of Question #2. How about the other questions?

Please access your NAS via SSH with the Samsung drive attached to the NAS, login as "admin" and run:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /tmp/nasreport
touch /tmp/nasreport
chmod +x /tmp/nasreport
cat << EOF >> /tmp/nasreport
#!/bin/sh
#
# NAS Report by Patrick Wilson
# see: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82260#p366188
#
# 
echo "[code]"
echo "*********************"
echo "** QNAP NAS Report **"
echo "*********************"
echo " "
echo "NAS Model:      \$(getsysinfo model)"
echo "Firmware:       \$(getcfg system version) Build \$(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    \$(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      \$(getcfg system workgroup)"
echo "Base Directory: \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))"
echo "NAS IP address: \$(ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep addr: | awk '{ print \$2 }' | cut -d: -f2)"
echo " " 
echo "Default Gateway Device: \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device')" 
echo " "
ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep -v HWaddr
echo " "
echo -n "DNS Nameserver(s):" 
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | cut -d' ' -f2
echo " "
echo " "
echo "HDD Information:"
echo " "
alpha='abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
drives=\$(getcfg Storage 'Disk Drive Number')
for ((i=1;i<=drives;++i)) ; do
	echo -n "HDD\$i -"
	if [ ! -b /dev/sd\${alpha:\$i-1:1} ] ; then
		echo "Drive absent"
	else
		hdparm -i /dev/sd\${alpha:\$i-1:1} | grep "Model"
		echo " "
		parted /dev/sd\${alpha:\$i-1:1} print
		echo " "
		/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d \$i
		echo " "
	fi
done
echo "Volume Status"
echo " "
mdadm -D /dev/md0 /dev/md1 2>/dev/null
echo " "
cat /proc/mdstat
echo " "
echo "Disk Space:"
echo " "
df -h | grep -v qpkg
echo " "
echo "Mount Status:" 
echo " "
mount | grep -v qpkg
echo " "
#echo "Contents of \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path)):"
#echo " "
#ls -lF \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))/
#echo " "
#echo "Windows Shares:" 
#echo " "
#for i in \$(grep \] /etc/config/smb.conf | sed 's/\[//g' | sed 's/\]//g' | grep -v global) ;do 
#	echo -n "\$i:"
#	testparm -s -l --section-name=\$i --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null 
#done
#echo " "
#echo "QNAP Media Scanner / Transcoder processes running: "
#echo " " 
#/bin/ps | grep medialibrary | grep -v grep
#echo " " 
#echo -n "MediaLibrary Configuration file: " 
#ls -alF /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
#echo " " 
#echo "/etc/config/medialibrary.conf:"
#cat /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
echo " "
echo "Memory Information:" 
echo " "
free | grep -v cache:
echo " "
echo "NASReport completed on \$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %T') (\$0) 
"
echo " "
EOF
sleep 2
clear
/tmp/nasreport
#done

[/code]

Please cut&paste the output of the resulting NASReport back to this message thread. Please include everything between the "code", "/code" tags, including the tags themselves.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Parrick,
Let's stop asking people unwilling to supply information required to assist, continue talking of "latest", and ranting around instead.

All,
Note: QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150217 was released before this thread was started, and is supposed to include fixes ref. third party file system support. Its available on www.qnap.com -> Support -> Download as of writing - and not pushed to the Live Update. And I won't explain once more why vendors phase-in software over time instead of rush out.

Nuff said for now.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:Parrick,
Let's stop asking people unwilling to supply information required to assist, continue talking of "latest", and ranting around instead.

All,
Note: QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150217 was released before this thread was started, and is supposed to include fixes ref. third party file system support. Its available on http://www.qnap.com -> Support -> Download as of writing - and not pushed to the Live Update. And I won't explain once more why vendors phase-in software over time instead of rush out.

Nuff said for now.
I saw no rant, so I was actually willing to give him one last chance to help himself by providing requested information.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Nees
Know my way around

Post by Nees »

In the mean time, I would start recovering your harddrive.

You have about 99% chance to recover everything IF YOU HAVE NOT YET WRITTEN ANYTHING TO IT!

Check out "GetDataBack NTFS".
TS-639_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_GP-3.8.4_20130816
TS-853_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_4-4.1.3_20150313
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Nees wrote:In the mean time, I would start recovering your harddrive.

You have about 99% chance to recover everything IF YOU HAVE NOT YET WRITTEN ANYTHING TO IT!

Check out "xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx".
He hasn't provided any information whatsoever, but you are recommending commercial Recovery software without seeing so much as a partition table on the drive. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It may well come to the point where this type of solution is necessary, but with no information provided, you should be requesting missing information, rather than providing "solutions" without any troubleshooting information available whatsoever.

If he was using NAS Firmware previous to QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150217, he may have resolved his issue already, simply by upgrading his NAS Firmware. He hasn't been back. so we'll probably never know.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”