CPU temp control on TS-1079pro (non rack)

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
ajmpet
New here

CPU temp control on TS-1079pro (non rack)

Post by ajmpet »

So I was transcoding some old video files and I kept getting a warning 'CPU temp above threshold' okay checked out the temp on the CPU, 67deg C not to worry I thought I'll just kill the transcode and see if I can set the CPU allocation lower for transcode station, couldn't find any option so investigated Handbrake but then thought to myself, if the CPU was only working at ca. 80% on the 4 cores for not an extended amount of time perhaps it's not the transcode that's the issue? While watching the CPU temps slowly return to normal (I even opened the case to help airflow), I considered other options. The Box is kept off the floor in an open setting with nothing on or around it in a cool room, close to ideal conditions really. The heat sink is a hefty block of aluminium with some fins but no active cooling. Looking inside I thought it really could do with a better cooling solution.
Step one find out about the CPU, socket, and mobo. On ark I saw that the socket is FCLGA1155 but that wasn't what hit me it was the Tcase of 69.1degC that took me aback I was within 2degC on a cold march evening!
So I'm off to investigate how best to keep the box cool(er) several options or combinations of options; replace fans at the rear with something stronger, add additional fans either side of the CPU heatsink (maybe a couple of 40mm ones blowing air across the fins from front to rear, or most drastically replace the entire cpu cooler with something else (looking at nh-l9i by noctua).

So what am I actually asking?

1. Has anyone ever had a similar issue? What did you do to tackle it?
2. Are temps this high something I have to just get used to or am I right to be concerned?
3. Where can I find info on the motherboard re. fan headers and cpu cooler change is it a custom mobo or OTS made by a third party?

Thanks
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Re: CPU temp control on TS-1079pro (non rack)

Post by animaleyes76 »

What chip are you using in it?

I had no problems with a Xeon E3-1245, temps came nothing close to yours!! (stock heatsink)
ajmpet
New here

Post by ajmpet »

i3 2120
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Investigate the hardware - amount of thermal paste, seating of the cooler, ...
iunlock
Getting the hang of things

Post by iunlock »

OP, I have a thread on this subject that may be of help. http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=113480.

I've ended up with higher than normal temp issues due to the poor cooling in the NAS units in general. I have a TVS-871 and TVS-671, of which I swapped out the i3 in my 671 for an i7-4790S. I didn't like the idle temps and or the higher than average temps when under load so I ended up delidding my i7, of course replacing all the crappy thermal that comes stock with it and now it sits cooler than my 871. I am also interested in looking into a closed loop cooling unit. I'm pretty sure it'll fit...

Anyhow, although this forum doesn't have a PM feature, hope to keep in touch on how things go for you. I'd love to find a working solution for a cooling unit that will fit. Actually now that I think of it, there's a guy in this http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 0&start=45, that rigged his unit with a Cooltek ITX30. Heck, when you get a chance email me at my user name at g;m;a;i;l; dot com so I can share with you my journey so far..this forum lacks functionality and it's baffling to not have a PM feature.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”