TS-212P SATA interface speed

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
hificek
Starting out

TS-212P SATA interface speed

Post by hificek »

Hi friends,

I would like to know, if this device (TS-212P) supports SATA III (6.0 MB/s) mode, because I will buy the new hard drives for it.

I case that box supports SATA II only, I will not to waste a money (to buy more expensive modern drives for SATA III).
I tried to check something, but most known commands like lspci are not supported in actual FW.

More over : exists some test, how to check it directly in device ? Some other commands (when lspci did not work) ?
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-212P SATA interface speed

Post by P3R »

There is no need to overthink this as SATA 3 Gbit/s isn't a bottleneck and disks are compatible anyway. It's CPU and RAM that will limit the performance.

Choose whatever disks are listed on the compatibility list. This is important so don't try to cheap out buying unlisted disks! In addition I also recommend searching this forum for user reports on a specific disk model when you have found a possible candidate.

Btw, TS-212P is specified as having a SATA 3 Gbit/s (SATA II) interface. Then again there are actually examples of certain Qnap models that have a SATA 6 Gbit/s interface but that are specified to have SATA 3 Gbit/s for product differentiating reasons... :roll:

Again, the SATA interface isn't the bottleneck!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
hificek
Starting out

Post by hificek »

P3R wrote:There is no need to overthink this as SATA 3 Gbit/s isn't a bottleneck and disks are compatible anyway. It's CPU and RAM that will limit the performance.

Choose whatever disks are listed on the compatibility list. This is important so don't try to cheap out buying unlisted disks! In addition I also recommend searching this forum for user reports on a specific disk model when you have found a possible candidate.

Btw, TS-212P is specified as having a SATA 3 Gbit/s (SATA II) interface. Then again there are actually examples of certain Qnap models that have a SATA 6 Gbit/s interface but that are specified to have SATA 3 Gbit/s for product differentiating reasons... :roll:

Again, the SATA interface isn't the bottleneck!
Thanks, I expected it ... Concerning the disk: I choosed WD2000FYYZ (WD RE4 WD2000FYYZ 2TB 7200RPM SATA-6G 64MB), because I read everywhere here that my first solution, it means WD20EFRX (Red NASware 3.0) disks are problematic and the enterprise WD2000FYYZ could be better ...

Moreover : what You think about this: I ´m planning to buy TS-212P (white model). It will be used only for quality serious BASKUP device, connected via network, BUT it will be most of time switched OFF and only in time of backup will be switched ON. Not to risk some virus comming to the backuped data.
I found somewhere, that exists also a silver model (UMNP00453 ) of this unit named "QNAP TS-212P Turbo NAS server". It is bigger against TS-212P white. 225x102x168.5 /218,4x85x165,5) And it is equipped also eSATA connectors. On the official pages I cannot find info about this silver eSATA version . What is it ?
Is it better than standard TS-212P ?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

hificek wrote:...I read everywhere here that my first solution, it means WD20EFRX (Red NASware 3.0) disks are problematic and the enterprise WD2000FYYZ could be better ...
I wouldn't call the WD Red problematic as long as you make sure the disk firmware is updated if old. At least I'm happy with the ones I have. But WD2000FYYZ should be an excellent disk and it comes with a five year warranty.
I ´m planning to buy TS-212P (white model). It will be used only for quality serious BASKUP device, connected via network...
Sounds OK.
...it will be most of time switched OFF and only in time of backup will be switched ON. Not to risk some virus comming to the backuped data.
There is nothing wrong with powering it down if only used occasionally but it is extremely unlikely that it would be infected with a virus even if always switched on.
I found somewhere, that exists also a silver model of this unit named "QNAP TS-212P Turbo NAS server". It is bigger against TS-212P white. 225x102x168.5 /218,4x85x165,5)
And it is equipped also eSATA connectors. On the official pages I cannot find info about this silver eSATA version . What is it ?
I'm aware of no such TS-212P variant. The larger measurements you mention however suggests you're talking about Qnaps larger 2-bay hot-swap chassis, like TS-220 (with eSATA) and other models. Maybe someone had the model name mixed up or something?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
hificek
Starting out

Post by hificek »

I found some strange model number for it : UMNP00453
hificek
Starting out

Post by hificek »

P3R wrote:There is nothing wrong with powering it down if only used occasionally but it is extremely unlikely that it would be infected with a virus even if always switched on.
It is depend how it is connected: If will be mapped like a normal drive via SMB protocol, it is viewed for main PC like a normal disk and virus can attack it.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

hificek wrote:I found some strange model number for it : UMNP00453
With the search results I get on that number It looks like the normal smaller non-hot-swap chassis and I can find no eSATA connector on the pictures. I think someone have given the resellers partly incorrect specifications. Maybe a distributor covering the eastern part of europe mixed it up somewhere?

You'd better ask Qnap directly to get to know for sure.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

hificek wrote:It is depend how it is connected: If will be mapped like a normal drive via SMB protocol, it is viewed for main PC like a normal disk and virus can attack it.
True, a virus on a client PC could mess data files up but the NAS itself wouldn't be infected.

But you're correct, it is safer to have it switched off.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”