WD RED mounting issue - Qnap 859 Pro

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
HA43g3n
Starting out

WD RED mounting issue - Qnap 859 Pro

Post by HA43g3n »

Hey !

I recieved my new WD RED NAS disks to replace 4 older 1.5TB Seagate drives.
When I shall screw the WD disk in the Qnap cradle I notice that the screws bottoms of the thread before the cradle is attached.
There is thus a gap that arises. And that it looks like the cradle metal casing is receiving electronics ..
Not professionally correct , I think : P

Links files so you can see exactly what I mean.
Photos : http://postimg.org/gallery/25zh6rnji/de943dbb/
Video: https://youtu.be/Kwu7MCWnB8c

Do you have to have the new verison of a newer cabinets , or get use new screws or spacers ?
Seems pretty damn weird !

Tips are welcomed gladly , all screws cradles etc are original from Qnap !

Sincerely
HA4g3n
P5bdkw
Starting out

Re: WD RED mounting issue - Qnap 859 Pro

Post by P5bdkw »

Well, you know I have to ask......are you using the QNAP screws that came with the NAS?
Darryl W.
QNAP TS-253 PRO
Firmware: QTS 4.1.3 Build 0408
Installed components: 1 x Western Digital WD10EFRX Hard Drive, 1 x 4GB Crucial CT51264BF160B Memory
Desktop OS: Windows 8.1 x64
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

HDD with more platters have shorter screw holes - so you might need shorter screws. This seems to be your issue. Check with your NAS reseller, QNAP customer service, or if you are in an era where metric screws are exotic (nicely said, eh?) check your metal hardware store.

To avoid this, some HDD models (with even more platters/surfaces used) use an alternate location for two mounting screws. Older QNAP trays don't have these additional holes - so the mounting options are limited to one pair of screws, to rework the trays, or to replace the trays.
HA43g3n
Starting out

Post by HA43g3n »

"all screws cradles etc are original from Qnap !"

But i did indeed bought the NAS in second-hand 6months old then.
They fit Seagate disks perfectly. And i still need a distancer/brick for the curquit/ however

It does make sence about the platters and screwholes! :-)
I guess some QNAP have a solution for this, would be nice If they added a note on the compatible list that special/modified tray is needed, as for now its listed 100% compatible.

thanks for your feedback.
Hope i get feedback for the opened ticked tomorrow, will post solution here since i have not found it yet.

Thanks
HA4g3n
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

HA43g3n wrote:"all screws cradles etc are original from Qnap !"
So and? At the time these specs were set, the permitted screw length resp. the holes were deeper with 100% of the HDD available on the market back then.
HA43g3n wrote:I guess some QNAP have a solution for this, would be nice If they added a note on the compatible list that special/modified tray is needed, as for now its listed 100% compatible.
The solution is to use shorter screws only. The trays are perfectly fine for mounting your HDD.

Thew few HDD coming with an alternate pair of mounting holes (Seagate ST6000NM0024 for example) come with a note in the compatibility list:
A corresponding hard drive tray is required as the screw port design of the HDD models has been changed by their manufacturers.
In fact, the alternate location for this pair of screws is much longer in the standard than the shorter holes. :roll:

No distancer nor insulation required for the electronics - seriously. If you do, the SATA/power ports and/or the backplane are at risk, as no longer correctly aligned.

Use search - the screw length "problem" was discussed several times in the forum already, ie here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... th#p428657
HA43g3n
Starting out

Post by HA43g3n »

Yeah just found à thread about it :-)

"A word of warning.. fitting the 6tb model (probably 5 also) requires smaller screws. The screw type is a 6-32, and the normal length is 6.5mm. For the new WD 5/6 tb drives you will need screws no longer than 4.5mm.

This can be achieved by grinding down the long ones, or call QNAP support and have them send new ones. They charged me €5 for 50.
"

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 1&start=15

Thanks for info.
Looks risky to have the electronics so extremly close the metalplate.
I guess they used some sort of isolated surface.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

It's mechanically evident ... no voltage touching the mounting surface. Not even the screws do.
HA43g3n
Starting out

Post by HA43g3n »

Solution: Ordered new screws from QNAP that is shorter :lol:

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”