compatible eSata/USB 3.0 drive dock

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
happythanh
Starting out

compatible eSata/USB 3.0 drive dock

Post by happythanh »

hello all,

last year I bought one Orico eSata single HDD dock, the QNAP can mount the volume well, but when copying something the speed is extremely low, I guess this Orico dock is not compatible, because I change to use USB 2.0, it works well but the speed is frustrated.

I am looking for new one which can work fine with my 419P+, 4.1.3 firmware, pls help me to suggest one can support both eSata and USB 3.0.
pwilson
Guru

Re: compatible eSata/USB 3.0 drive dock

Post by pwilson »

happythanh wrote:hello all,

last year I bought one Orico eSata single HDD dock, the QNAP can mount the volume well, but when copying something the speed is extremely low, I guess this Orico dock is not compatible, because I change to use USB 2.0, it works well but the speed is frustrated.

I am looking for new one which can work fine with my 419P+, 4.1.3 firmware, pls help me to suggest one can support both eSata and USB 3.0.
eSATA is merely an extension of the SATA bus inside the NAS, so any eSATA Dock should work for you. Why would you connect a Dock via USB2.0 (or USB3.0 for that matter) if eSATA is supported by your TS-219P+ or TS-419P+ devices? (There could well be issues with USB depending on the chipset used by your Orico Dock, but under eSATA it should work properly without issue).

Otherwise simply check out the QNAP External Storage Device Compatibility List for potential replacement devices.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
happythanh
Starting out

Post by happythanh »

Hello Patrick,

thanks for your reply.

Of course I really want to connect via eSata but as I said, when connecting my Orico eSata dock with my TS-419P+, the copy speed is extremely low, sometimes the copy process is not finished and copy disconnected, hence I guess the Orico eSata dock is not compatible. That's why I have no choice than to use USB2.0 instead for this dock.

as you mentioned, any eSata dock will work fine, but regret it is not correct in my case. not sure why.

I did check the compatibility list but only one brandname of eSata/USB3.0 that is Century but I really can not find this one in my country.

Can you pls suggest one for me.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

happythanh wrote:Hello Patrick,

thanks for your reply.

Of course I really want to connect via eSata but as I said, when connecting my Orico eSata dock with my TS-419P+, the copy speed is extremely low, sometimes the copy process is not finished and copy disconnected, hence I guess the Orico eSata dock is not compatible. That's why I have no choice than to use USB2.0 instead for this dock.

as you mentioned, any eSata dock will work fine, but regret it is not correct in my case. not sure why.

I did check the compatibility list but only one brandname of eSata/USB3.0 that is Century but I really can not find this one in my country.

Can you pls suggest one for me.
I'm using a Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U Hard Drive Dock here, but it is only a USB2.0/eSATA Dock. I'm not worried about the USB part, as I connect it via eSATA.

You haven't identified your "country", so it is impossible to suggest anything. Your Forum username suggests that your "country" might be Vietnam Image , but I have no idea what brands are available there. I used to own a TS-419P+ as well, and I never experienced issues with it with any SATA HDD devices. It worked like a champ.

It you use it with Ext3/Ext4 Linux filesystems on your "loose" drives you shouldn't be experiencing these issues. If you are trying to use NTFS (Windows) or HFS (OS X) filesystems on your drives, then this alone might be the cause of your drive/Backup issues.

Tất cả các tốt nhất.

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

happythanh
Starting out

Post by happythanh »

Thanks Patrick very much, you are really awesome man with sense of humor, yes, I am from Vietnam.

Regret your suggested dock is old model and I can not find it here in Vietnam, supplier are selling latest models which only support USB 3.0.

I did tried few times for the loose drive with my Orico dock, but they were all in vain, even with ext4 or ntfs formated drive. other than the Thermaltake you suggested, pls suggest other dock which is compatible if you know.

Thanks again for your help Patrick.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

happythanh wrote:Thanks Patrick very much, you are really awesome man with sense of humor, yes, I am from Vietnam.

Regret your suggested dock is old model and I can not find it here in Vietnam, supplier are selling latest models which only support USB 3.0.

I did tried few times for the loose drive with my Orico dock, but they were all in vain, even with ext4 or ntfs formated drive. other than the Thermaltake you suggested, pls suggest other dock which is compatible if you know.

Thanks again for your help Patrick.
Anytime my friend. Please consider publishing your "location" in your Forum profile. Be proud, I doubt there are many Vietnamese members in this Forum. (You'll note I publish my location (and flag :lol: ) in my Forum profile and signature here).

Shalom (שָׁלוֹם)

Patrick Image

(I need a sense of humour. My parents gave me Christian names, but I'm not a Christian). :lol:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

happythanh
Starting out

Post by happythanh »

Hello Patrick,

in fact, I was happy when seeing your reply in the first place, because I read many of your reply to other users and they are very helpful, this forum needs you man.

I just did updated my location as per your request, here in Vietnam people mostly use Buffalo NAS which is much cheaper than QNAP and Synology, while I see that QNAP is an amazing small thing but can do very big job, beside the 419P+ at home, I also own another 2 x TS-212 for my 2 offices running mirror disk for data sharing, it works amazingly with very low cost and without any issues so far.

Back to my main issue, yesterday I plug my Orico Dock to my 419P+ via eSata again, and suddenly it works(after 3 years not), maybe the latest firmware supported, I test the transfer speed and a little disapointed when I see that the eSata transfer speed is at only 44MB/s, while I expected it should be about 100MB/s.

Meanwhile, I wonder about the File Station App, when transfering the files, we can not see the transfer speed, is there any way that it can show up like in Windows? I had to measure the transfer speed by ancient way that is copying the file and use my iPhone as a stop watch.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

happythanh wrote:Hello Patrick,

in fact, I was happy when seeing your reply in the first place, because I read many of your reply to other users and they are very helpful, this forum needs you man.

I just did updated my location as per your request, here in Vietnam people mostly use Buffalo NAS which is much cheaper than QNAP and Synology, while I see that QNAP is an amazing small thing but can do very big job, beside the 419P+ at home, I also own another 2 x TS-212 for my 2 offices running mirror disk for data sharing, it works amazingly with very low cost and without any issues so far.

Back to my main issue, yesterday I plug my Orico Dock to my 419P+ via eSata again, and suddenly it works(after 3 years not), maybe the latest firmware supported, I test the transfer speed and a little disapointed when I see that the eSata transfer speed is at only 44MB/s, while I expected it should be about 100MB/s.

Meanwhile, I wonder about the File Station App, when transfering the files, we can not see the transfer speed, is there any way that it can show up like in Windows? I had to measure the transfer speed by ancient way that is copying the file and use my iPhone as a stop watch.
If I recall the TS-419P+ specifications correctly, I believe the TS-419P+ only has a SATA 3G interface in it. This said, yes it should be able to sustain about 100MB/s when copying large files. If you were copying a large number of small files, then 44Mb/s could be reasonable.

QNAP's external drive handling has changed a lot in the QTS 4.1.x Firmware builds, so yes, newer Firmware may have made a difference. I'm glad it is working for you.

Có một bữa trưa tuyệt vời. Bạn có gặp Phở?

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

happythanh
Starting out

Post by happythanh »

pwilson wrote:
If I recall the TS-419P+ specifications correctly, I believe the TS-419P+ only has a SATA 3G interface in it. This said, yes it should be able to sustain about 100MB/s when copying large files. If you were copying a large number of small files, then 44Mb/s could be reasonable.

QNAP's external drive handling has changed a lot in the QTS 4.1.x Firmware builds, so yes, newer Firmware may have made a difference. I'm glad it is working for you.

Patrick.
Tks Patrick, the point is I copy a single large file about 10GB, but the speed is only at 44MB, just about double the old USB2.0.

By the way, pls tell if there is any way we could know the transfer speed? any external application package can tell us?

cám ơn anh, tôi đã ăn Phở sáng nay rồi, chúc Patrick ngủ ngon
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

happythanh wrote:
pwilson wrote:

Patrick.
Tks Patrick, the point is I copy a single large file about 10GB, but the speed is only at 44MB, just about double the old USB2.0.

By the way, pls tell if there is any way we could know the transfer speed? any external application package can tell us?

cám ơn anh, tôi đã ăn Phở sáng nay rồi, chúc Patrick ngủ ngon
You can check the Resource Monitor in the System Status screen for this. I have no idea how accurate it is.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”