TS-453 mini overheat?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
allenyu
New here

TS-453 mini overheat?

Post by allenyu »

Recently got my TS-453 mini and inserted 4 x HGST NAS 4TB drives in RAID 5 setup. The temperature of HDD1 is rated constantly between 50-55 degree with occasional spike to 57 degree, and thus overheat warnings were issued by the system. I have already changed the fan profile to max when system temp is above 45 degree, however the condition doesn't improve much. My other drives are not as hot:
HDD2: 45-50 degree
HDD3 and HDD4: 40-45 degree

Here are some additional measurements:
Environment temperature: 29 degree
system temperature: 46 degree
fan rpm: 1248 rpm
CPU load: 25%

Could the high temperature of HDD 1 due to its proximity to CPU? And is the temperature too high for long term stability of HDD?
If there are other TS-453 mini users here, could you show me your HDD temperature? Thanks!
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-453 mini overheat?

Post by pwilson »

allenyu wrote:Recently got my TS-453 mini and inserted 4 x HGST NAS 4TB drives in RAID 5 setup. The temperature of HDD1 is rated constantly between 50-55 degree with occasional spike to 57 degree, and thus overheat warnings were issued by the system. I have already changed the fan profile to max when system temp is above 45 degree, however the condition doesn't improve much. My other drives are not as hot:
HDD2: 45-50 degree
HDD3 and HDD4: 40-45 degree

Here are some additional measurements:
Environment temperature: 29 degree
system temperature: 46 degree
fan rpm: 1248 rpm
CPU load: 25%

Could the high temperature of HDD 1 due to its proximity to CPU? And is the temperature too high for long term stability of HDD?
If there are other TS-453 mini users here, could you show me your HDD temperature? Thanks!
Impossible to comment on HDD temps without HDD Make/Model information provided. Some newer 7200RPM drives operate at high temperatures.

Here are my temps:

Code: Select all

System Temperature: 42 C/107 F
CPU Temperature: 45 C/113 F
HDD1 Temperature:  33°C
HDD2 Temperature:  32°C
HDD3 Temperature:  34°C
HDD4 Temperature:  32°C
System FAN Speed:  1738 RPM
I used the following script to generate that output:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Check System and HDD Temperatures
# 
echo "System Temperature: $(getsysinfo systmp)"
echo "CPU Temperature: $(getsysinfo cputmp)"
echo "HDD1 Temperature:  $(/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d 1 | grep 194 | awk ' {print $3 } ')°C"
echo "HDD2 Temperature:  $(/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d 2 | grep 194 | awk ' {print $3 } ')°C"
echo "HDD3 Temperature:  $(/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d 3 | grep 194 | awk ' {print $3 } ')°C"
echo "HDD4 Temperature:  $(/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo -d 4 | grep 194 | awk ' {print $3 } ')°C"
echo "System FAN Speed:  $(/sbin/getsysinfo sysfan 1)"
#done
Not all manufacturers use same S.M.A.R.T. parameters to report HDD temperature. Seagate is particularly bad at following the S.M.A.R.T. parameter standards. So this same script may or may not provide useful information from your undisclosed HDD models.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
allenyu
New here

Post by allenyu »

Thanks Patrick! Your system is much cooler than mine. I agree that 7200rpm drives are hotter, but shouldn't be that hot since these drives are designed for NAS.

Model=HGST HDN724040ALE640                    , FwRev=MJAOA5E0
Code for getting models:

# for i in {a..d} ; do     
    hdparm -i /dev/sd${i} | grep "Model"           
 done
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

allenyu wrote:Thanks Patrick! Your system is much cooler than mine. I agree that 7200rpm drives are hotter, but shouldn't be that hot since these drives are designed for NAS.

Code for getting models:

# for i in {a..d} ; do     
    hdparm -i /dev/sd${i} | grep "Model"           
 done
Nice drives. These are 7200RPM drives. As long as they are under 60°C you have little to worry about. Check out the HGST HDN724040ALE640 Spec Sheet.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

allenyu
New here

Post by allenyu »

pwilson wrote: Nice drives. These are 7200RPM drives. As long as they are under 60°C you have little to worry about. Check out the HGST HDN724040ALE640 Spec Sheet.
Thanks for the link. I am still kind of worried to see the drives operating so close to the limit. Since only HDD1 is overheating, I guess that might be due to its close proximity to the CPU. I think the new TS-453 mini sacrificed too much in cooler design in order to reduce physical footprint.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

allenyu wrote:
pwilson wrote: Nice drives. These are 7200RPM drives. As long as they are under 60°C you have little to worry about. Check out the HGST HDN724040ALE640 Spec Sheet.
Thanks for the link. I am still kind of worried to see the drives operating so close to the limit. Since only HDD1 is overheating, I guess that might be due to its close proximity to the CPU. I think the new TS-453 mini sacrificed too much in cooler design in order to reduce physical footprint.
HDD1 is not over heating. It is rated for up to 60°C. It is not unusual for HGST NAS drives to operate in the mid-50°C range. All your drives are under 50°C, including HDD1; so I really don't think you need to be concerned at all. Contact HGST or the QNAP Helpdesk if you want to check this out further. You can manually increase your Fan speed on your NAS if you want them cooler.

Like I said, those are really nice drives. I wish I owned them.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

allenyu wrote:I agree that 7200rpm drives are hotter, but shouldn't be that hot since these drives are designed for NAS.
I very much doubt anything have changed at all physically from the desktop version of the same disk. If anything, they just made minor firmware adjustments. Since HGST (formerly Hitachi) have since many years had an excellent reputation for their desktop disks, also in NAS applications, I'm not even sure they needed to change anything except the marketing... :wink:

WD Red is very cool running and can't really be compared with these 7200 rpm disks.

If it make you feel any better, my Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 (HUA723030ALA640) have reached temperatures of 53, 54 and 51 degrees respectively in a much larger chassis.

You are still within disk specifications. I think the best thing to do is to adjust the disk warning temperature to 58-60 degrees C and stop worrying.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

P3R wrote: WD Red is very cool running and can't really be compared with these 7200 rpm disks.
for what it's worth, my 7200 RPM WD Se drives are all at or under 30 C. i have 8x4TB running in my 870.

I agree, 50 is strange but nothing to worry about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allenyu
New here

Post by allenyu »

P3R wrote:
allenyu wrote:I agree that 7200rpm drives are hotter, but shouldn't be that hot since these drives are designed for NAS.
I very much doubt anything have changed at all physically from the desktop version of the same disk. If anything, they just made minor firmware adjustments. Since HGST (formerly Hitachi) have since many years had an excellent reputation for their desktop disks, also in NAS applications, I'm not even sure they needed to change anything except the marketing... :wink:

WD Red is very cool running and can't really be compared with these 7200 rpm disks.

If it make you feel any better, my Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 (HUA723030ALA640) have reached temperatures of 53, 54 and 51 degrees respectively in a much larger chassis.

You are still within disk specifications. I think the best thing to do is to adjust the disk warning temperature to 58-60 degrees C and stop worrying.
Thank you guys for your comments. I will just ignore the warnings :)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

allenyu wrote:
P3R wrote:You are still within disk specifications. I think the best thing to do is to adjust the disk warning temperature to 58-60 degrees C and stop worrying.
Thank you guys for your comments. I will just ignore the warnings :)
Please follow P3R's advice quoted here. You don't want to ignore the warnings, you simply want to adjust the temperature thresholds, so that it doesn't produce the warnings at all until the temperature is a problem. Unfortunately the thresholds are based on "System Temperature" rather than HDD Temps, so you may need to play with the numbers to get the desired outcome.

You obviously don't want "false positive" warnings, but you also don't want temperatures to exceed what the drives can handle. Please provide output for the following commands:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Check System and HDD Temperatures
# 
echo "System Temperature: $(/sbin/getsysinfo systmp)"
echo "CPU Temperature:    $(/sbin/getsysinfo cputmp)"
echo "HDD1 Temperature:   $(/sbin/getsysinfo hdtmp 1)"                                       
echo "HDD2 Temperature:   $(/sbin/getsysinfo hdtmp 2)"                                       
echo "HDD3 Temperature:   $(/sbin/getsysinfo hdtmp 3)"                                       
echo "HDD4 Temperature:   $(/sbin/getsysinfo hdtmp 4)"                                       
echo "System FAN Speed:   $(/sbin/getsysinfo sysfan 1)"
#done

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kbk00 wrote:for what it's worth, my 7200 RPM WD Se drives are all at or under 30 C. i have 8x4TB running in my 870.
Very different NAS and different disks...

Your SEs are designed and specified to run cooler with their 55 degree limit.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@allenyu,
Adjusting the disk temperature warning level to disk specifications is actually part of doing a proper installation. With most NAS/disk-combinations it isn't necessary as the margin is usually larger, but the defaults in the software simply doesn't fit everyone, which actually isn't surprising considering the very different chassis in Qnaps line-up and with 70+ disks on the disk compatibility list.

I didn't notice this before, but what I would definitely want to keep an eye on in your situation is the environment temperature. Especially if you're located in the northern hemisphere and hotter weather is to be expected. You're already at 29 degrees now, which is pretty high, and you don't have a huge margin up to the specified limit of 35 for the TS-453mini.

In addition to adjusting the disk temperature warnings properly, try to lower the environment temperature if possible.

kbk00
Know my way around

Post by kbk00 »

P3R wrote:
kbk00 wrote:for what it's worth, my 7200 RPM WD Se drives are all at or under 30 C. i have 8x4TB running in my 870.
Very different NAS and different disks...

Your SEs are designed and specified to run cooler with their 55 degree limit.
Sigh

1. reference my fwiw intro
2. everyone can see that it's a different nas and hard drives
3. you referenced patricks' 5200 RPM drives calling out rotation, implying that's the reason

did you really find any value in your post or must you be a contrarian at all times? I think this board has more people like this than I've ever seen.
kevinm
Getting the hang of things

Post by kevinm »

I have the same drives in a 10 bay. I leave my fans set to High (~1800 rpm's) and the drives stay between 35-38.

When I was using Smart Fan, the drives would run over 50, into the mid to upper 50's in heavy use.

Kevin
TS-EC1080 Pro, TS-870, TS-870; 4.2.2 Build 20160901
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kbk00 wrote:did you really find any value in your post...
Yes I think so, in addition to clarifying that I don't think rpm is the only factor I also added facts about your disks that clearly show them to be designed for a lower operating temperature than the disks the OP have.

If you find my posts annoying I recommend that you add P3R to the foe list found in your profile, that way you will never have to see my posts again and can live a happier life. See, again I'm bringing value to the community...

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”