Which Remote Control can i use

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Which Remote Control can i use

Post by gt.guybrush »

Hi, since IR port of my nas is unaccessible and i dont like much using smartphone to control HDStation and kodi

as option i find
-) IR remote wich use an IR/usb receiver to translate ir messages on usb port to device

-) wifi remote with usb wifi dongle

which can be the best option?
TS-451- 3 x WD Red 4TB RAID 5 (single volume, no storage pool) + samsung 850 EVO 250GB CACHE - Single port network
Firmware 4.2.0 build 19/08/2015
Client: Windows 7 64bit / WD media player
pwilson
Guru

Re: wich remote can i use

Post by pwilson »

gt.guybrush wrote:Hi, since IR port of my nas is unaccessible and i dont like much using smartphone to control HDStation and kodi

as option i find
-) IR remote wich use an IR/usb receiver to translate ir messages on usb port to device

-) wifi remote with usb wifi dongle

which can be the best option?
Your first entry is a MCE Remote, so it needs support in the OS of whatever device is it attached to. The latter two simply emulate a PC keyboard, so they will work with any computer/device without drivers. I chose the second one you pictured. I can't speak for the last one, but the second one is a Measy RC11, which is an RF remote rather than an IR remote. It does not need "line of sight" so it will work for you even if connected at the back of your NAS.

Because of your setup, you probably want to use a RF (Radio Frequency) remote rather than an IR (InfaRed) remote. The disadvantage of RF remotes is they consume batteries faster than IR remotes. I personally am happy to tolerate this disadvantage. I use Measy RC11 remotes with my Android devices and my PCs. It works with both. (Don't let that 'Droid logo throw you off, it works with PCs too, as it simply emulates a HID keyboard and an HID mouse).

I own multiple RC11s here.
Last edited by pwilson on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Post by gt.guybrush »

other interesting model:

Minix NEO New A2 Lite Six-axis Gyroscope & Accelerometer Double-sided 2.4GHz wireless Air Mouse For Android TV Box, Mini PC and Computer

the third of my previous post was Rii Mini i8 (http://www.riitek.eu/IT/prodotti.html)

that make even the Rii Mini i24 Fly, very similar to Measy RC11

ImageImage

arrow seem more comfortable in minix one, or centrl button inother can be used as left/right arrow?
TS-451- 3 x WD Red 4TB RAID 5 (single volume, no storage pool) + samsung 850 EVO 250GB CACHE - Single port network
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

gt.guybrush wrote:Image

arrow seem more comfortable in minix one, or centrl button inother can be used as left/right arrow?
If it works the same as the original Measy RC11, the center button is a rocker. Press the left side for "left click", or press the right side for "right click" in it's Airmouse capability. Pressing the center of the button toggles the Airmouse function on/off, so you can disable/reenable the Airmouse part to save battery life.

The keyboard portion only uses power during a "keypress", but the "airmouse" part needs to poll the device's gyroscrope sensor constantly to determine whether or not the mouse pointer moved. (It automatically disables the Airmouse if it isn't used to save battery power, so I need to reenable it regularly. I found this annoying at first, but I got used to it).

I have similar issues to you (for different reasons) with "line of sight" remotes, so I tried many remotes before I finally figured out that I wanted an "RF" rather than an "IR" remote control for my NAS and my Minux (Android) settop boxes. The only reason I bought my first one was the "'Droid" logo on it, as my first one is used with my Minix X5 boxes. I tried it on my QNAP TS-470 Pro with XBMC, and then later KODI, and discovered that it worked. I've been recommending the RC11 in these Forums ever since. :DD

I have Arthritis in my hands, so I dislike small Remote Controls, and Laptop mice. My Arthritis is bad enough, that I no longer use a Mouse at all, adapting to using a touch pad instead. I did briefly try a Measy RC12 remote which has a touch pad instead of an airmouse, but I disliked it instantly. I didn't keep it long enough to see if I could adapt to it. I presently own 4 Measy RC11 remotes. They don't seem to interact badly with each other, as each one is in a separate room.

I seem to need to replace the batteries in my livingroom RC11 every couple of months. My bedroom TV isn't used as often, so batteries in my bedroom RC11 seem to last about 6 months between changes.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Re: Which Remote Control can i use

Post by gt.guybrush »

does it work for playing video with kodi? does it manage well media reprodution: play, pause, stop, fast... ?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

gt.guybrush wrote:does it work for playing video with kodi? does it manage well media reprodution: play, pause, stop, fast... ?
Yes. (to all of the above) + VolumeUp, VolumeDown, and VolumeMute. My Minix boxes are still on XBMC. My NAS, my Computers, and my non-Minix Android devices are all running KODI. My Measy RC11 works with all my PC's, Minix boxes, and the NAS for both XBMC and KODI.

Like I've been telling you, it emulates a HID Keyboard and Mouse. No drivers required. It should work with any device that has a USB port for the Dongle. I don't own a SmartTV, so I can't confirm or deny whether it will work with a SmartTV. or not. (Thanks to KODI, I don't need a "SmartTV). :DD

The Multimedia buttons all work as expected with KODI.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Post by gt.guybrush »

well, since my problem with qremote is still not solved think i will buy it soon (with the usb hub), or i have to continue using dlna instead of kodi since i have no way to start it...
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

gt.guybrush wrote:well, since my problem with qremote is still not solved think i will buy it soon (with the usb hub), or i have to continue using dlna instead of kodi since i have no way to start it...
Did you open a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk for your QRemote issue? It works here, and I can think of no troubleshooting advice I can provide to help you get it working there. I have KODI contigured to "autostart" when HybridDesk Station (sks HD Station) starts. I do however need to restart KODI occasionally, as it does "occasionally" exit without warning.

My Measy RC11 easily restarts KODI when needed.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Post by gt.guybrush »

yes, i open it but they cant reproduce it and dont know what to do...
gt.guybrush
Know my way around

Post by gt.guybrush »

order done, hope it will arrive soon

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”