Qnap 412 failure

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
mastix
Starting out

Qnap 412 failure

Post by mastix »

I am having a big problem with my Nas 412 unit. The 4 volumes 3Tb I have installed are not in raid just normal. They are recommended units and have been working fine for more than 2 years. I made a hot swap and all the problems started :-( First it could nor recognize the disk when I put it back in but if I changed bay it could?? Then it cannot be detected by my lan. I see that windows is sendind info but not receiving any under the lan option. I have all the protocols to DHCP so no manual values introduction. I get a green flashing light in status and orange flashin in the lan light with no disks inside. If I enter the disks I get a red flashing light in status with orange lan. I cannot enter the Qnap Finder because it is not detected by the lan. The Lan is working fine as my Internet is working great. Dont now what else to do but I think the Qnap is toasted (I think the hot swap was a very bad idea). My firmware was updated yesterday 06/22/2015

Any clues or what to try or do you think the Nas died? Thank you for your help

Cristian
mastix
Starting out

Re: Qnap 412 failure

Post by mastix »

Well I finally abandon the Qnap system and linux...too complicate for an average computer user. I want simplicity and Qnap could not provide it. I finally am copying 12tb of data to Windows formatted Hds that windows can read and copy just inserting it. I will be using Icy docks so I can just slide the HD in and voila. Now after some years I realiza I made a big mistake going for a Nas solution to back up all my photos. For this there are more simpler and reliable ways. I am glad I am leaving this solution behind me and would recommend any user that is not minimal tech savy to avoid a Nas solution at all costs and stick with regular back ups if this is all he/she needs
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Your mistake was not in choosing a NAS but in choosing individual volumes and not using raid. You cannot hot swap individual volumes. You can only hot swap drives of a raid (1, 5, 6, 10) array.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
mastix
Starting out

Post by mastix »

ohhh I didn't know that :-( I can understand that I might have ruined some of my disk. Have not checked all 4 yet so I will see in the next days which ones have lost data or have become unusable. I am using now ext2 volume manager to transfer all my files to regular windows Hds. But I still don't get that the Nas went broken. I reseted it and tried to detect it with different Lan configuration but the Lan is always flashing orange. In any case I am going back to a more simpler solution as my computer skills are very basic. Thanks you very much for your answer

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”