[QNap 239 Pro] Qnap Dead! - Not powering on

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cett1
New here

[QNap 239 Pro] Qnap Dead! - Not powering on

Post by cett1 »

Hello to everybody,

last day I took a look at my Qnap 239 Pro (Firmware 4.1.4, build 0522) and saw the front panel completely dark :-0 :-0 :-0
It was very strange, since I didn't switch it off (qnap was running without rebooting al least since 20 days), and no blackout happened in the last days (neither lightning storms..)

So I tried to power on again the Qnap, but no response: no lights, no beeps, no ticking... only the chassis-fan running at maximum speed.
I tried to change the AC adapter (a friend has the 239 Pro model as mine), and same results... Also my ac-adapter worked perfectly on his qnap, as well as the HDs (using my qnap config) worked fine too.

I also tried to reset, to remove ram and backup battery, but always the same results.

I made a search on this forum and find it could be the motherboard is dead: is there any other try I can make to bring my Qnap back to life? :D
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
cett1
pwilson
Guru

Re: [QNap 239 Pro] Qnap Dead! - Not powering on

Post by pwilson »

cett1 wrote:Hello to everybody,

last day I took a look at my Qnap 239 Pro (Firmware 4.1.4, build 0522) and saw the front panel completely dark :-0 :-0 :-0
It was very strange, since I didn't switch it off (qnap was running without rebooting al least since 20 days), and no blackout happened in the last days (neither lightning storms..)

So I tried to power on again the Qnap, but no response: no lights, no beeps, no ticking... only the chassis-fan running at maximum speed.
I tried to change the AC adapter (a friend has the 239 Pro model as mine), and same results... Also my ac-adapter worked perfectly on his qnap, as well as the HDs (using my qnap config) worked fine too.

I also tried to reset, to remove ram and backup battery, but always the same results.

I made a search on this forum and find it could be the motherboard is dead: is there any other try I can make to bring my Qnap back to life? :D
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
cett1
Sounds like a job for the QNAP Helpdesk. I doubt you'll like the price of a replacement Motherboard, so perhaps it is time to purchase a beefier QNAP NAS to house your drives, and potentially get a 4-Bay model so he can expand it later if desired.

Your pre-existing troubleshooting seems to suggest that your HDD's and PSU are okay, so this is sounding like a very unhappy end is in sight for your NAS. (I realize that this isn't the happy outcome you are looking for). :(

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
cett1
New here

Post by cett1 »

pwilson wrote:
Sounds like a job for the QNAP Helpdesk. I doubt you'll like the price of a replacement Motherboard, so perhaps it is time to purchase a beefier QNAP NAS to house your drives, and potentially get a 4-Bay model so he can expand it later if desired.

Hello Patrick,

thanks for Your prompt reply.
I'm searching for a used mb (a new one is really expensive), but still no luck...
I've found a lot of TS-239 Pro II mb, with interesting prices: do You have infos for compatibility between the two qnaps motherboards?
Cause I'm thinking about purchasing a 239 Pro II mb and make a switch... and if possible it will sound like be an upgrade :wink:

pwilson wrote: Your pre-existing troubleshooting seems to suggest that your HDD's and PSU are okay, so this is sounding like a very unhappy end is in sight for your NAS. (I realize that this isn't the happy outcome you are looking for). :(
Hehe, no, I'm still happy because could have been worse :DD :DD :DD

Regards,
cett1
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cett1 wrote:I'm searching for a used mb (a new one is really expensive), but still no luck...
I've found a lot of TS-239 Pro II mb, with interesting prices: do You have infos for compatibility between the two qnaps motherboards?
Cause I'm thinking about purchasing a 239 Pro II mb and make a switch... and if possible it will sound like be an upgrade :wink:

The motherboards themselves are probably identical, but I don't own any form of TS-239, so I can not attest to this.
Why not upgrade to something current instead? Firmware support for the TS-239 series is coming to an end, if I recall correctly, so you might want to get something different.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

cett1 wrote:I've found a lot of TS-239 Pro II mb, with interesting prices: do You have infos for compatibility between the two qnaps motherboards?
Troubles might start from the back side ... where the connector layout can be fundamentally different (start with the VGA connector location - certainly for the TS-239 Pro II+ - Dr. Google image search is your friend). Don't now what else might be different - SATA backplane design for example, front panel, ..
cett1
New here

Post by cett1 »

Patrick, schmaku,

thanks a lot for Your help: will not upgrade to something current mainly because of budget problems, and after all I have a very limited use of my Qnap (mainly used for Squeezebox, backup & movies storage).
And also will give up the 239 Pro II upgrade and search for the same TS-239 Pro motherboard... for this purpose, could anybody help me to find the correct part number of this item? On the motherboard I can't find it :S

Regards,
cett1
cett1
New here

Post by cett1 »

up - for the TS-239 PRO motherboard part number.
Anyone could help me?

Regards,
cett1

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”